1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How will my racial enemy choice carry over?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 30, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I want Mind Flayer for bg2ee but in bgee there isn't an option for it??

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think you get to choose again in BG2... at least that's how I remember it.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think you get a new choice, but I've never actually imported an EE character before. Back in the day, when you imported a BG1 character, you got to choose if you want to use a kit as well as respec many aspects of the character. I imagine it works similarly now.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You do get a new choice, at least i did the last time i imported a ranger to bg2:ee and i doubt that they changed it in the last few patches.
    That said, illithid might not be the best option for a racial enemy. Even though they're a pain to deal with so you might appreciate the racial enemy bonus, there's really only 3 places where you'll find mind flayers - one being in the underdark, a few in Watcher's keep and then some more in the 1 side-area beneath the temple sewers.
    So you'll be getting limited use out of your +4 to damage/to hit this way. Besides, a decent enoug NT score so you don't die from the stat drain and a casting of chaotic commands should be enough to make short work of them even without the bonus.

Still, it's not a bad choice per se, but ideally you want to pick an enemy type that either occurs a lot or is tough enough for the bonus to actually be beneficial.
    In bg1, that would probably be either Spiders or Ghouls, since those are some of the most common and tough enemies in that game.

In bg2 you could go with dragons since they have a high AC, so the +4 to hit would help a lot, but the downside is you won't run into many of them (3 or 4 of them over the course of the entire game)
    Vampires or Shadows are going to be the type of enemy you're going to run into the most, while still being relatively tough enough to the point where the +4 damage/thac0 are going to be beneficial.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Demons seems a more logical choice than dragons, as they can be very tough as well, but you'll encounter them more often than dragons.

Vampires seems like a decent choice, but there's a fair few very good weapons against undead, and then there's the spells and turning dead ability.

6. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I had chosen gnoll during character creation. Should I change it with EEKeeper?

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The main argument to pick dragons is because they have an AC of -12, so the +4 to hit them goes a long way.
    demon/fell enemies is a decent choice as well, but they are overall less dangerous, and easier to hit then dragons.

A case can be made vs vampires still, even with the methods the game already has implemented against them because of their level drain.
    getting level drained will influence your Thac0, and losing a few levels can make it really hard to hit a vampire with that shiny mace of disruption you might have. the bonus from racial enemy allows you to stick it out a little longer and hopefully manage to connect a hit even when level drained.
    Then again, if you have the amulet of power or a negative plane protection memorized, you can circumvent that problem too.

Up to your personal preference, but i would yeah.. i can't recall the last time i ever had problems taking down a gnoll. They don't have a ton of HP so you can drop them without the +4 damage, and they have a low(ish) AC as well, so the +4 to hit wont come in too handy either.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I'll go with giant spiders. Thanks all :1eye:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.