1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hrothgar's Glen - the Bad Guys

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Krokus6, May 7, 2003.

1. Krokus6 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I cannot defeat the 6 bad guys at Hothgar Glen. I have tried summoning 7 monsters, still to no avail. I read the walk-through, no help. So I just said "poop" and went back to the 3rd level of Dragon's Eye. I put the wyvern potions into the vats, they sizzled and popped, but I still cannot open the metal door to the bottom level. So, do I "HAVE" to kill these guys to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
  2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

First off, no the Holy Avenger quest (the one you're talking about) is optional.

Someone else was "stymied" by this problem not long ago. More than likely a certain serpent is eluding you and you need to kill him off. More can be found here.
    As for the followers of the lost medallion, we'd need to know your party make-up before we could give out some pointer strategies.

3. scion of felagund Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the lost followers

beating the 6 lost followers in hrothgar's glen and attaining the hallowed bastard sword is a tough fight, i won't lie.

yes, the clues are on the medallion, but i have tried it with a fighter-lean party (and no paladin) and failed repeatedly. a paladin makes it worth the fight, and i tend to favor a fighter-heavy party...and in this battle, their melee fighters are too badass to expect a halfling sorcerer in your party to survive... here are my tips.

cast as many protection spells and summon as many beings (distractions) as you can

as with any tough battle, your priority of elimination should be spellcasters first, archers second, fighters last.

that said, the spellcaster to the south (atalyclis) is easily taken out with fire. concentrate your spellcasters on him, but the enemy will charge them, so leave a fighter to defend them (and above all, protect your cleric...you will need resurrection spells here...and if your cleric dies, there are no resurrection spells...that is the biggest key).

do not try to take on their 3 melee fighters until at least 2 others are dead.

throw your 3 strongest melee fighters to the right (east) and pound the archer (jaiger)... eliminate him from the fray... he will cut you to ribbons from a distance, but can't hang up close.

at this point, you will probably have to assess the battle, improvise (heal, redistribute, etc), but taking out atalyclis and jaiger forst should be your priority - they are the easiest, the most dangerous from a distance, and will reduce your enemies from 6 to 4.

from there, it gets tricky. their melee fighters are hard to damage.
    one successful strategy i have found is to 'taunt' one of their melee fighters (i suggest veddion, but you can't always choose...any melee fighter removed from the battle is helpful...you can do this by getting your weakest fighter to taunt him, and make him chase your weakest fighter around the outskirts of the battle...this turns the match into a 'five on three' and eliminates their strongest melee fighter. with a little thought, he will chase your weakest fighter around the park in circles almost indefinitely(an old hockey strategy in reverse).

from there, focus on inhein (the summoning cleric who started on the north side of their circle)....her defense is limited, but if left alive, she will summon endless monsters to tilt the odds. make it a point to DISTRACT their melee fighters, rather than engage them...the strategy is to stay alive and reduce their numbers...draw off their melee fighters and make them chase you around.

once inhein is dispactched, it's 6 against 3 (remember to replenish your life and shields/buffers)... keep one of their fighters chasing your halfling thief/drow sorcerer/weakest fighter around in circles, and it's 5 against 2 (remember to ALWAYS protect your cleric, or whoever can cast ressurection...without him/her, you're hosed.

After that, you pound it out. That is what a fighter-heavy party does best...and if you're a fighter-heavy party, and have strategized well enough to survive to this point, you've tilted the odds in your favor. Keep one of them chasing your weakest fighter, and use attrition from there ...and be smart...
    ...use magic (or bludgeoning) against Kaevon Death's Head...pick him off fron a distance and use your paladin elsewhere...

Broken Khree and Vedion will need to be killed up close...down n dirty (no easy feat)...take a moment to assess your healing/protection, and summon more "friends" if you can... it's finally a fair fight.

Use swords on Khree, use bludgeoning on Veddion, take out Kaevas with magic...back off with your spellcasters and ideally get oone of those 3 to chase one of your party in circles....after that, it's mop-up work.

coineineagh likes this.
  4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We like having new people discuss issues and help with solutions ... but you realize you're answering a question that's over twelve years old....

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I always found it a tough fight, so reading other people's strategies is interesting.

On the advice of dealing with archers second and the archer that can turn you to ribbons, it's been years since I played this game (my most recent save file in the directory is dated 2012), but in general I like to blind archers and then deal with them last or when the spell wears off. It's like using Otiluke's sphere on them without wasting a high level spell slot.
    A blinded archer in an Infinity Engine game can be taken out at range with your party's missile weapons without any risk to themselves.
    You can use Blindness or Power word:blind. After which he's no longer a threat.

Just a thought. Use a low-level spell to eliminate Jaiger as a threat, deal with his cohorts, then take him out at your leisure.

6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have a look at their stats to form a strategy.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I'd forgotten that all of them except "Kaervas Death's Head" had spell resistance. So, you should use the 2nd level cleric spell "hold person" on Kaervas, and work on everyone else. Let your mage or sorcerer pound on Kaervas when not casting. Their BAB probably isn't high enough to hit anyone else that isn't held, so it's a good use of the round to smack Kaervas with a staff, prick him with a dagger, bash him with a club, etc.

8. coineineagh

Media:
    Broken Khree starts as the biggest threat with his Quivering Palm (no resurrection possible). Make sure he wastes it on a summon.

9. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Who knows, maybe that guy is still stuck. :p

midolinho and coineineagh like this.
  10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Advice on what to do vs. Broken Khree when you're going through a "No Summons" game?

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't go through a "No Summons" game. :lol:

12. Silvershadows Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    Here you go ( sorry for my bad english .... I'm not a native speaker :()

Here is my party :

Rhysmir Silverspear/ NG Male half-elf Fighter 15

Sister Silence/ LG Female Tiefling Monk 14 ( She's from the Order of the Broken Ones)

Brenna Greycloak/ CG Female Human SilverStar of Selune 15

Qiltharra Mistgrove/ TN Female half-elf Druid 15

Liya of Westgate/ CG Female half-elf Rogue 1 / Wizard 14

Ioelena Ashenleaf/ CG Female MoonElf Wizard 15

The basic strategy is Divide and Conquer

--Stage 01

Cast all your protection spells

You definitely don't want to be hit by a nasty PowerWord : Kill or be charmed during the battle

[​IMG]

--Stage 02

Spell " Sanctuary ( Clr1,Selune1 )" will protect spell casters from the first assault

[​IMG]

--Stage 03

3.a) Brenna will take care of Atalaclys the Lost with "Sol's Searing Orb ( Drd6,Clr6 ) " , also she will keep Jaiger of the Fanged Seasons busy

The spell " Divine Shield ( Clr6/Selune6 ) " not only can provide Save bonus and Damage Resistance but also can protect her from all missile attacks ( range from " Mordenkainen's Force Missiles " to rain of arrows )

3.b) Liya will cast " Otiluke's Resilient Sphere ( Wiz4/Sor4) " to isolate Kaervas Death's Head

[​IMG]

--Stage 04

4.a) Qiltharra will take Inhein-Who-Was-Taken with "Sol's Searing Orb ( Drd6,Clr6 ) " as well

4.b) Ioelena will cast " Lower Resistance ( Wiz5/Sor5) " on Jaiger of the Fanged Seasons

4.c) While her hand is not full , Liya or Ioelena will encase any summoned undead with " Otiluke's Resilient Sphere ( Wiz4/Sor4) "

Q: Why " Otiluke's Resilient Sphere " ? Why not " Dismissal " or " Banishment " ?

A: Undead creatures have very good Will Save ,but their Ref and Fort are quite lousy

Also, in IWD2 there is no feat Spell Focus (Abjuration) and Arcane Casters usually choose (Greater)Spell Focus (Evocation)

So, i think " Otiluke's Resilient Sphere " is a better choice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Stage 05

With Spell Resistance , Damage Resistance , Spell Immunity , ect ... Veddion Kairne and Broken Khree are almost invulnerable to magic , so just hack them down with " Mordenkainen's Sword ( Wiz7/Sor7 )" and " Phantasm Blade ( Wiz5/Sor5 )"

[​IMG]

--Stage 06

After taking care of Inhein-Who-Was-Taken , Qiltharra will bring down Jaiger of the Fanged Seasons with " Sunbeam ( Drd7,Lathander7)" and " Smashing Wave ( Drd 5 )"/" Flame Strike ( Drd4 ,Clr5,Lathander5)"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Stage 07

Cast " Sunbeam ( Drd7,Lathander7)" and " Wall of Moonlight ( Drd4,Selune4) " to set up our stage

[​IMG]

--Stage 08

Dispell the Sphere to unleash the Dwarf of War

[​IMG]

--Stage 09

After lower Kaervas' Saving Throw , spells like "Sol's Searing Orb ( Drd6,Clr6 ) " and " Lance of Disruption ( Wiz3/Sor3 ) " will make short work of him

[​IMG]

--Satge 10

Dispell the Sphere and Dismiss/Banish the undead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Final

"Cera Sumat" Holy Avenger

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Just one comment, I take it that turning the undead is ineffective or they have too high a chance of not being affected?
    I know that the summons from the necromancers outside the Ice Temple are almost always unaffected by my cleric's turn undead ability, but I assumed my party was too low a level at that stage. This is a bit later, and you're nearly twice the level of the ice temple.

Seems you can get an extra 4th level spell or two if you scare off the undead with the cleric's turn ability, but if it doesn't work, I understand.

14. coineineagh

Media:
    Nice work. No summons at all. I'm impressed.

You say Sol's Searing Orb is effective against Kaervas, then is the "unaffected" message in your info screen a result of him just dying?

15. Silvershadows Gems: 2/31

Media:

I think Kaervas cannot be blinded by Sol's Searing Orb ,that's why this "unaffected" massage appeared :)

16. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Welcome to the boards Silvershadows. Odd, I'm sure there was a detailed post here from you a short while ago with screenshots and all, but now I don't see it. Apparently you have made 3 posts, but only one is visible to me. Again, strange. I hope that your post will be restored. It looked rather helpful.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Silvershadows, if you edit your post it automatically gets put in the moderation queue again as your account has under 10 posts currently. This is due to the external links (images) in your post. Once you've made 10 posts or if you upload screenshots to your album space on our boards, this won't happen any more.

18. Silvershadows Gems: 2/31

Media:
    Thanks for the nitification Taluntain :) ( and sorry for the double post :( )

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Np, it's an issue with the forum software because it doesn't properly notify the poster about what's going on - I expect this won't be an issue any more once we switch to the new forum software soon.

20. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:

I hope the look&feel of the boards stay the same, at least for those who want them to.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.