1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I belatedly regret my decision to purchase this game

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Shivan, Jun 8, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The thing that's really bugging me now is the limited tilesets in the OC and SoU (and probably HotU...haven't tried it yet.)

I played through half the OC and I'm about 6-8 hours into SoU and I'm getting so *sick* of some of the tile sets. Especially the caves\dungeons. I swear...I think I just keep going into the same cave over and over. And the same forest. And the same town. All of them with their weird unatural tiered "hills" and steep ramps.

I think that's what bugs me more than anything. The backgrounds in BG and IWD were fantastic AND different in almost every area you go.

But in NWN...

Again, I don't understand how Bioware dropped the ball like this. So few tilesets...

And I've seen user mods and persistant worlds that look pretty dang good, some even have ROLLING hills (not square ones).

*Sigh*

Maybe everyone associated with BG left before NWN, and only the name is the same?

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the rolling hills did appear however before the game had been out for 4years, again i stress you to try Darkness over daggerford, it puts the OC and both expansions to shame.

Also Crimson tides over tethyr is great and has a lot of references to BG2.

3. Glebrezu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I play all those you've named and even on IWD1 and 2 I still played with only 2 char. And wow did i dominate. But i recently got NWN Diamond and id have to say i kinda like it im still on the main game although i have all those expansions. I think the battles and game is very compelling even if the story line sux. Plus i've always liked having just a few ultamite characters or even 1 in this case.

4. Stuntman Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I also miss those games where you get to control a party of 5+ characters. Temple of Elemental Evil is the type of game that I prefer (and my favourite all time D&D computer game).

It seems that there are no longer games coming out that allows you to control a party of adventurers with total control anymore. I guess that games and gamers have changed over the years and people prefer to play a first person game rather than be in total command of a party.

My previous experience of the game left me with a bad taste in my mouth. They pretty much butchered the D&D rules just so you can have a decent single character game. Like what wizard/sorcerer in his right mind would send his familiar into combat? And monster summon spells going from 1 round/level to 1 day? I guess they had to do it this way otherwise the level 1 sorcerer/wizard will be pretty much toast.

Anyway, I decided to give this game another go. I ended up making a fighter/wizard. Along with the henchmen, I got a familiar and summonned creature which makes a group of 4. For the most part, it's OK. There are a few really frustrating things like how sometimes someone gets stuck behind a corner of the room and that henchmen/summon/familiar is totally out of the fight. Also, it's just so difficult to coordinate attacks. These incidents tend to cause a great deal of frustration and a number of reloads. I'll see how long I stick with this game this time. The last time I played, I quit around level 6.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Basically, I always solo NWN. Controlling the henchmen is about as effective as trying to order around a pack of amphetamine-addled howler monkeys. The melee henchies or rogues can help, but spellcasters... well, without precise control of spell lists and positioning you might as well not bother, frankly.

8people likes this.
  6. Stuntman Gems: 5/31

Veteran

I've been playing this for about a week now. Got up to level 6 (F1/W5). Ran into another incident with the butchering of the rules. My plan was to wear heavy armour and use spells with no somantic components like Blindness to avoid the Arcane Spell Failure. You know what? I still face ASF with the Blindness spell. Like WTF? Next think you know I won't be able to cast spells without verbal components while Silenced.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.