1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I know this would not happen BUT...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by dontheox, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dontheox Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I would like to see Baldur's Gate 3 using the Second Edition rules.
    I know it will not happen, but I am an old school gamer I just like the 2nd ed rules I have not played any of the games with the new rules I was given IWD2 as a gift so I will try it out but I just think it would be a great thing just to keep a constant.

[ January 05, 2005, 00:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

While I heartily agree with you It's never going to happen :(

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, It'll never happen. I'm 99.99% sure that they will use 3.5e rules...which should be interesting to play with. The developers need to stay with the newest rules. If they went with the 2e rules...it would be like playing Doom 3 with the graphics of the origanal Doom. :eek: :rolling:

4. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Its going to be very similar to NWN I think, and it will never have that nice feel to it like BGII did... although we all wish that it could :(

5. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Wait a sec, so you don't know the differences between them? In IWD2 you have so much more possibilities of character development please try it! Or even wait for the conversion of BG2 to the IWD2 engine, it's currently in the works! In my opinion 3rd ed rules are much better than 2nd ed rules as far as character creation and enhancements are concerned.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would agree with Maertyn, the 3e/3.5e rules are much more complex(delightfully so) and intricate, that there is really no reason to stay with 2nd edition. If you've ever played ToEE, the combat and character design are unparalleled among DnD RPGs, and for good reason: Both stick to the rules of 3e/3.5e nearly to the letter.

7. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

@Rednik: how would you rate ToEE next to BGI/SoA/ToB?

I have always been used to the 2e rules, but I have been slowly gettin into the swing of 3e/3.5e too, Im sure by the time BGIII comes out I will have gotten as comfortable with these rules as I am with 2e.

IWD2 was a nice change but the story lacked so much that I got bored of it, so I'd say if you wanted a tatse fo 3e try NWN, even if it is way of base in gameplay because you have no party and its 3D, the run of play in the game feels improved some what.

8. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

well its true that remaining constant is nice but changing is good...i dunno but i like 3e and 3.5e too

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Slayer

I said the combat and character design in ToEE were better than the Baldur's Gate series, which they are. ToEE may be a worse game overall, but it's obvious that it has much more depth in those two areas.

10. Laertis Gems: 5/31

I don't see the problem with the 3rd edition rules. In Icewind Dale 2 the rules worked fine and i think that it was more fun building characters in those rules.

11. San Ti Gems: 5/31

yeah thats true i also enjoyed making characters in ICWD2...well thing is to have fun...thats for what rpgs stand for

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't care what rules it uses just as long as it's a good game.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I liked the character development in IWDII. Too bad the story wasn't as good. I, too, got bored with it very quickly.

14. Newfie Banned

IWD 2 was a rush job from my perspective; to throw it to the masses without the hard work and attention to detail that BG2 had. I really like the 3.5 rules and I can't wait to see it put to use with the graphics available today. I can just imagine a game with the depth and gameplay of BG2, the character creation of TOEE, the graphics of Demonstone and a truly engaging story. What really does it for me is party creation though. I would love to be able to play a party of EIGHT characters of my creation but I think that is asking too much. I don't like this mass battle scheme they are implementing in Dragon Shard, it takes away from the spirit of D&D. Long live dungeon crawls, parties of eight or less and storylines written by such talents as Salvatore. Will we ever see a game that could match BG2; I would love to but I doubt it.

15. San Ti Gems: 5/31

you are asking way to much BG2 after 5 years(or is it 4?) is still considerd to be by far the best RPG ever made.

16. Newfie Banned

What, San Ti? Say that again in english.

17. Nogoodnamesleft Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I hate D&D in general because it's a worthless, politically-correct LotR ripoff at best. But 3E sucks even more and is even more crappy and politically correct than the 2E version. Damn dumb dirty whores trying to run the show.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey, don't sit on the fence! Tell us what you really think of D&D. :p

19. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

Somthing tells me nogoodnamesleft is gonna have nomatesleft soon...

20. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

LOLOMGWTFBBQ.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.