1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Gate - Delta version

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Beren, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anybody here ever tried the Delta version of Icewind Gate? (which btw is meant to be an improvement on Weimer's beta version)

If so, how did you find it?

Also, is it possible to do more than one installation of IWD2 so that I have the original game (modded of course) and an IWG installation as well?

coineineagh likes this.
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Assuming there are no more protections on IWD2 than BG2 then you can have multiple installations. There was a tool made for BG2 but not sure if it will work for IWD - I usually just make copies of the directories (Modded, Unmodded, Fiddled With)

With simple mods you can make batch files to switch between different games, but am unsure if a large scale mod such as IWG would work that way.

This should be applicable, substituting the IWD specific naming of course.

Hope that at least made a vague bit of sense...

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Keep us update, if you give this a try.

I didn't follow the mods development, after Westley stopped it. I knew that it was picked up though!

4. roshan Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The game is surprisingly playable, although I only completed chapter 2.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I uploaded Nameless One's / Tal Rasha's delta version a while back, but i was having problems with chinese script, so I stuck with the beta. I'm not sure if the version in question has been updated since though..

:DMaybe its a coincidence, but I just got an interesting message yesterday from somebody who played it:
    My reply:
    Hi Ishad Nha,

I haven't played IWG2 for a while anymore, and i chose to stick with the beta version back then. The reason for that, is that Nameless One's delta seemed to have chinese script in it. I happen to know he's chinese, so perhaps he did his modding with a program in chinese.. Perhaps it was a conflict with some other mod I had installed, but it caused a lot of text to be blank for me, important stuff like item and spell descriptions.

Yes, I needed to use a lot of cheat codes, so I'm happy to hear you managed to play it with few incidents. Keep the community informed; I'll post something about it on http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/ , under "Icewind Gate - Delta Version". Glad to hear about the renewed interest in the mod/conversion.. As far as the walkthrough being irrelevant, it sounds like you're right. But the installation tips for IWD2 mods with IWG2 should still be valuable.

Best wishes,

coineineagh

It sounds like the renewed interest has been voiced on the Bioware social site, and on pocketplane, where Weimer had his original IWG2 forum... exciting news, I think:)

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol:

I got a similar e-mail from him, which is why I posted this thread in the first place.

I can appreciate the good intentions, so if I can get a second installation of IWD2 onto my PC, I'll definitely try it. Maybe even write a guide for it at some point. ;)

7. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

First up, a save game from the start of the ToB part. This will give you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the Delta version.
    http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/000000048-00ToBStart.zip
    This zip contains some of the items used in the save game.
    http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/IcewindGate2Patches.zip
    This zip contains two spreadsheets. The first contains various tables, lists of towns, triggers, script actions, item op codes. The second is a list of spells by class.
    http://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/IWD2Skills.zip

I posted a reply to Darion but it still has not been approved by the administrators.
    See the Pocket Plane Group:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/board,45.0.html

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Does this mod have a forum? I'd like to read up on it.

9. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

[​IMG] Yes, the official forum is:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/board,45.0.html
    It is rather quiet recently though.

Mod home page is
    http://www.weidu.org/iwg2
    My blog is at:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/182/index/7672165/1
    Delta version is found at:
    http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=attach&tid=34232

Links I gave in post #7, if you try to follow them and you get bounced back to this page, you will need to copy and paste them into the address bar. Ditto hyperlinks on this page.

Icewind Gate 2 uses the Icewind Dale 2 game to run a Third Edition version of Baldurs Gate 2, you will need both games installed to get Icewind Gate 2 set up. After the installation you have the option to uninstall BG 2. I still have the latter installed because I need to know what IWG2 should be doing rather than what it actually is doing.

10. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, PocketPlane has the original forum that the designer Westley Weimer was maintaining just before he quit.
    There's more recent stuff on the Bioware social forum

11. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I am making some attempts to fix the errors in the mod.
    Crom Faeyr was altered to kill Trolls but won't slay Golems.
    Pocket Plane ability can be written into Baldur.bcs. Currently I can't get an item to successfully set a Global Variable.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ishad Nha, none of your posts were deleted... I approved your first one, but when you edited it and added another link, it got moved into the mod queue again. Please don't post the same thing multiple times as you're only racking up moderated posts and I need to then determine which posts are duplicates.

You're being heavily auto-moderated because you've got a very low post count and are posting lots of external links - this is typical spammer behaviour so you're caught into the auto-moderation net erroneously. If you make a few posts across the boards that don't contain any external links, you should get the auto-moderation off your back. If not, you'll have to wait for your posts to be approved if they contain external links.

13. Darion

Media:
    Ta, for the bucket-full of links!
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the mod, and Being a long timer where BG -Tutu and BWS are concerned.
    Is just that I stopped hoping for Icewind Gate after Westley stopped his work.

Now it's time to catch up with the literature! :D

Ta, to you too!
    I'm quite a stranger on the social boards. Stopped frequenting them after the big-forum-change. Oh, well will have to re-open my old account.
    Keep it up people.

The second wind in Icewind Gate is refreshing!

14. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Right, better minimize the external links.
    Pocket Plane is deathly quiet. Beta version gave Icewind Gate 2 a bad reputation. Delta version is playable but there are a lot of things that you can't do without the console.
    Yesterday I was trying to make Crom Faeyr do its thing with Trolls, that worked usually. Then I tried to make it work in killing Golems, no luck at all! No wonder there are no major IWD2 adventure mods.
    Now I am trying my very limited modding skills at the Pocket Plane ability, at least now the party arrives in the right part of the plane.
    The Pocket Plane contains a link for IcewindGate2Patches.zip, this file contains a set of notes about when to use the Console and how.

A possible cause of a lot of the problems affecting the Delta version may be that the Chapter number is not being set! I was looking at the problem affecting the Graveyard, after you return from Spellhold& the entrances don't lead to a new version of the Vampire dungeon. It originally was area AR0056 (BG2 area AR0801), this should be leading to the new version AR0224 (BG2 area AR0808). But instead, you still go back to AR0056! I compared the BG2 and IWG2 town scripts for the original dungeon, I could see a bit of stray code in the latter but that was about it. Then I used the Dalekeeper and Near Infinity editors to check the save game Gam files. I was surprised to learn that the Chapter was still at a value of 1!
    To check the chapter number, paste this command into the Console:
    CheckVar("Chapter","Global")

To set the Chapter number to 2, paste this command into the Console:
    SetChapter(2)
    You will then see the intro to Chapter 3…

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  15. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

The gibberish seen in the load screen and the Journal seems to be Chapter headings with the wrong string references. I was able to find more appropriate text strings using the Find what: box in the StringRef lookup of Near Infinity. I found:
    15340: Chapter,
    15873: Chapter <CurrentChapter>, this won't work properly in practice,
    16203 thru 16209, Chapter One through Chapter Seven.
    Column 1 in Chapters.2DA seems to give the correct intro text for each chapter.
    When I altered the column 0 in this file I got the correct chapter headings for the Load Saved Game screen and the Journal. Though the chapter numbers themselves were not rightly kept up to date by other files in the game…
    Need to create Chapter Eight, Chapter Nine and Chapter Ten strings.

CHPTXT0.2DA thru CHPTXT8.2DA are holdovers from BG1!

16. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Level 1 NPCs mod has not been translated into a form suitable for Icewind Gate 2.
    I want the ability to choose the class and kit of an official Bioware NPC, so I came up with this plan: alter the imported BG2 NPCs so they have the desired kits and classes.

(1) Create a new IWD2 PC with the correct race and class.
    (2) Admit a Bioware NPC into the party, Export them to a character file.
    (Here I shut down IWD2 as a precaution.)
    (3) Now open the NPC character file in Dalekeeper. Using the IWD2 PC file as a reference, reduce the NPC and his/her abilities to level 1 for the desired class. (Because the reference IWD 2 PC will be level 1 too.)
    (4) In the game, use the Console to increase the NPCs level to 7.

I did not need to add in all the level 1 Cleric spells, the game did it for me.
    From what I can see so far, the idea works in actual practice.

I had a temporary initial Rogue to help out before Yoshimo could be added to the party. Initial Rogue was the one who had the Portal Key stuck to him, just before he was due to be replaced by Yoshimo. Said key had to be consoled in, it is item _MISC4G.

EDIT
    In certain areas the use of the original NPCs will cause hassles with slow scrolling.
    It may be possible to work around this, see posts below made around 4 or 5 November 2011.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  17. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I am starting a new game, this time with Bioware NPCs. I used the method outlined in the post above to alter their classes and kits to my taste.
    (1) Aasimar Paladin (H): Abdel-Adrian
    (2) Human Cleric (H): Initially Laeris then Anomen
    (3) Half - Elf Cleric (S): Jaheira
    (4) Human Rogue/Ranger: Initially Kebb then Yoshimo
    (5) Human Wizard: initially Imoen then Branwen then finally Nalia
    (6) Moon Elf Sorceror: Hylei then Aerie

Laeris, Kebb, Hylei and Branwen were created by me as stopgaps until proper NPCs could be found.

Note: AR area numbers in IWG2 are usually very different to the original BG2 numbers.
    Irenicus Dungeon
    AR0602/AR0008
    I had a temporary initial Rogue, Kebb, to help out before Yoshimo could be added to the party. Kebb was the one who had the Portal Key stuck to him, just before he was due to be replaced by Yoshimo. Said key had to be consoled in, it is item _MISC4G.
    AR0603/AR0010, level 2.
    Escaped Clone was tough, took several goes to finish her off without losing any PCs. Her Improved Invisibility spell was just too much.
    Exiting the dungeon: Cut01.bcs causes Imoen's stuff to be dumped at the exit of AR0010, not in Waukeen's Promenade!?

Circus Tent
    Final fight, we had to be careful not to lose anyone, in IWD2 there is no "copy piles of stuff dumped on ground" command. If anyone dies on the top floor of the Tent, their gear stays there.
    Exiting Waukeen's Promenade for the first time, party can go anywhere, they are not steered towards the Slums District, unlike BG2. I could alter the Waukeen's Promenade script, _AR0700.bcs, to give the player a hint to go to the Slums District.

Copper Coronet
    Dispel Magic was useful against the slaver Mages. It dispelled their Improved Invisibility spells, leaving them vulnerable to melee attacks.
    "Do you remember these doors…?" cutscene was pretty jerky.
    CC is cleaned out, now the party is going through the Sewers.

18. Darion

Media:
    I just recently finished reading your post on the Social boards, and gotta say it's impressive.

But it also clearly shows that one cannot do without console.
    And the other is translating the classes/kits into proper 3.5 rules.

You have lots of work loaded on you.

Keep it up.

19. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Console is not needed that much actually. So far I have usually used it to promote PCs from level 1 to level 7. Even that was more due to my desire to customize their classes/kits. In the Delta the level up is automatic.
    IWG2 is actually 3.0 not 3.5 like TEE.
    BG2 classes and kits would be hard to translate into IWD2 terms. It would require modding of a high level. IWD2 is nerfed.

Now the party cleaned out the Slaver Compound, they are off to the Keep.
    Stonefire +3 is the way to finish off the trolls, especially as Flame Blade is a Druid-only spell.

20. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

De Arnise Keep
    Cleared with no problems. You only need Stonefire to kill a Troll finally, if everyone attacks the Troll the 3 points of fire damage from this axe will be enough to finish it off.

Anomen Delryn Quest
    Seems not to be terminating properly. Global variable AnomenDecide has a value of 3, to get Bylanna to talk it must be 4.
    ctrlaltdelete:setglobal("AnomenDecide", "GLOBAL", 4)

Morale Failure, running: Lady Yuth in Ribald's Adventure Mart. I am trying to correct this with no luck at all. IWD2 notes don't show where the Morale Rating is or how it works. I can't even find references to how it works in the pen and paper variety.
    I have managed to assign her dialog, and scroll shop, to a female customer. These changes only take effect for a party that has not already visited the Adventure Mart.
    Edit:
    Examining the Sav file in Near Infinity showed that her dialog script was saved in the save game, hence can't be altered once you enter the Adventurers' Mart.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.