1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ill Met in Lankhmar

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Makini, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Makini Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've just bought the "Ill Met in Lankhmar" by Fritz Leiber, but I don't know what to expect.

Have anyone read it? Can they tell me something about it? Not any too big spoiler please :)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Basically it is the story of the events that result in the formation of the partnership between Fafhrd (a barbarian/skald) and the Grey Mouser (a warrior/wizard/thief). There is an origin tale for each of them that details where each of the characters come from and why the left their respective homes and came to Lankhmar and then a story of how they met and had their first adventure together.

The stories are in the epic fantasy genre and are most comperable in feel to the older Conan stories. While the characters certainly fit the original meaning of the title hero they certainly do not meet the modern definition. They are not nice people - they are almost always primarily concerned with looking after themselves and they lie, cheat, steal, murder, get drunk, go wenching etc.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser book are a lot of fun -- as long as your not very puritan about them. The book are some of the original references used by E. Gary Gygax in developing D&D -- you even see the influence in Baldur's Gate (the password given by the thief near the gates). The distinct advantage of Leiber's book over some more recent fantasy is his ability to not take his heroes too seriously.

4. Newfie Banned

Yup, this along with Conan are the classic adventure/brawler S&S. Get them all if you can. Thief and barbarian fans, this IS the gear.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They may be classic but they arent very good. I found them dull and uninteresting.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah I would have to agree with joacqin on that score. I found them to be vastly overrated.

Among his many charming tricks Leiber, on several occassions, set the stage for an exciting adventure and then decided to skip past actually writing about the adventure.

When he decided to actually write about adventures there would be a long lead in and then the plot would just sort of resolve itself in an instance. The first book wasn't so bad at this but after that it got much worse - with one exception that I can think of.

There was also a tendency to have Fafhrd acting as an intellectual one minute and then a brain dead idiot the next minute in order to make the plot work.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I thought that they were quite good. The stories can be very creepy. Lieber is heavy on atmosphere, light on character development. The two anti-heroes are really just archetypes. They don't really change as people.
    That said, I found the locations and encounters to be interesting and often chilling.

8. Makini Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for your tips guys :)

Jst on thing, this is the first book right? So there's no other one I've overlooked that I should read first.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yes, it is the first book.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.