1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Imoen, Nalia or Jan?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Donkey, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Conclusion: Imoen is annoying, Nalia is annoying, Jan is annoying, so why don't we all just forget that there was BG2 and move on to play Diablo 2 on Battle.net -at least there you can play all alone. :shake:

2. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Imoen - basically 2 characters in one as she is more than adequate as a thief and a full-blown mage at that.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

With the THAC0 of a Thief, he's better in physical combat than either Imoen or Nalia...

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Why would you want him to do combat? Thieves aren't very good in it anyway, so having a pure mage is a better option than a half-baked fighter or illusionist.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Unless you cast a spell every round in every combat encounter, you're making an attack, whether it be with a missile weapon or backstabbing.

Or, I guess you could have your character just stand there doing nothing...

6. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, but during the round average damage a mage/thief can cause is small compared to a spell damage, and while Nalia casts Horrid Wilting, the only thing Jan's spellbook would allow is Chain Lightning (an on low level, too).

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Imoen and Nalia. And Aerie if you feel like it. Plus Jaheira and Anomen. Makes three priests and three mages in one party. It's going to be a blast. Like this. Or this.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I like Nalia!I know a lot of people find him annoying but to me she is special!Plus he is a by far better mage than Jan due to fact she is dualclassed and advancing in magehood only!(thus casting 8th and 9th level uber spells earlier)Yes,Jan is by far a better thief than Nalia,but give Nalia some equipment to boost her thieving abilities,or let her gulp a potion of master thievery etc.and she will be able to do the task.Besides,she is not a terrible thief at all,her finding traps are high enough for the whole game,but can have problems in lockpicking and pickpocketing.Hence,cast a knock spell or drink a potion.Imoen is low on level compared to Nalia when you got her,but I can't let her go,(because of an obvious reason-NO SPOİLERS HERE)thus she joins too.Having both Nalia and Imoen around is fun!

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Imoen is as much of a thief as you want. Or at least as I want. Getting rid of traps is enough for me.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Why do you guys all hate Nalia? I think she is smart cutie (if she can have a little sleep and bath she will be VERY beautiful too!) and golden-hearthed. I know she is very naive but in TOB, as she advances into arch-magehood her comments change and she becomes a good,experienced,self confident and strong woman. It is a joy to see her evolve from a naughty adventurer child into a legendary heroine of magery! Plus she is the only good aligned mageling until Imoen, so most people will not have another chance. (Edwin is sooo annoying, although Edwina was quite fun!)
    Anyway, I want all of you to give Nalia a second chance! She will do her best! Besides she is allways ready for ANYTHING!
    PS:why can't I have a romance with Nalia?
    I LOVE NALİA!AND SHE LOVES ME!
    NALİA FOREVER!!!

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

No offence, Silverstar, but that was just pure fanboyism. If she is so golden-hearted, strong, independent, self-confident, legendary, good, perfect woman, why does majority of people hate her then?

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Silverstar - Nalia rules. Don't listen to what all those Nalia-bashers out there say. She is the best good NPC wizard in the game.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Role playing: Imoen

Humor: Jan (especially with Keldorn, Anomen, and Minsc)

Masochists: Nalia (although she has a couple of great lines with Edwin).

14. Lantus Gems: 11/31

Jan Jansen!!!!!!

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I like Imoen too, as she is very important in the story, she is your only childood friend, you lived first adventures and dangers all together, and later in the game you learn that she is very close to you too because of an obvious reason.(no spoiler)

Jan? NO! He is not powerfull as a mage, and his stories take too much time to read and they are almost allways pointless! His interactions with other NPCs are quite fun, especially with Minsc's.

One of my friends told me that Jan is DEAF and can understand whwt others say by observing their tongues and lips. He says Viconia discoves this if you take both. IS THIS TRUE?

YES, Nalia will forever be my favourite! People find her annoying, dump, ugly, weak, etc. as they fail to see the bright gem inside.
    She will turn into a most elegant butterfly as you advance in the game. (and in TOB)
    I HATE ISAE RONEAL! What does he think of himself to be qualified enough to be with my dear Nalia?
    I am a neutral good cleric/mage, I never kill anybody without reason, but I just want to DİSİNTEGRATE that arrogant bastard! (good that Nalia calls him a bastard too!)

16. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Probably people dislike Nalia because they love Imoen, and they feel Nalia is her clone.

I used to hate Imoen a lot, her selfish and mean personality, her bullying and annoying voice, her cruelty and unability to feel compassion, but I agree that her thief skills are a bit better. Though, the fact that she's available only for the second part of the game really pisses me off.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huh?!?!? Imoen?!?!?

18. Albert Rose Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like having Imoen around in Chateau D'Irenicus. She has some neat dialogues. Once she's gone, I try to get both Nalia and Jan - Jan because he's funny and a decent thief, Nalia because she's a good mage early in the game. The only Thieving skill of Nalia's that I use is her ability to use a shortbow. I figure that with Jan and Yoshimo, I can have a good thief.

When we get to Spellhold, I'll swap out Jan or Nalia for Imoen, depending on how I'm feeling at the time. I need a thief, so Jan usually stays.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If I had to choose between the three, I'll take Jan every time. I find him to be an indespensible member of my party. By the time you get him to around 10th level as a theif, he has all the theiving abilities you'll ever need for the entire game (minus backstabbing, which will always be a little weak for him). Hence, I either take Valygar in the party or make my PC into some kind of theif combination.

If I can take two, it's Imoen and Jan.

Right now I'm playing through (for the first time in well over a year, I might add) with Me (female elven fighter/mage), Anomen (who's more annoying than I remember, but good in a fight), Jahiera (as a cleric/ranger by way of a mod I found), Valygar, Jan and Kelsey. Once I get Imoen back I'll probably tell Kelsey to take a hike. Besides, his romance banters are get a little...well, smothering.

20. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

@Death Rabbit
    Aw, yeah, Kelsey-Imoen thing is really annoying, that's the reason I've uninstalled the romance, which otherwise was very quality-made.

@T2Bruno
    Imoen... well, I found her personality so mean, because she stole a ring from Keldorn, asked Valygar about his parents in a very untactful way and behaved a bit... selfish to say the least in Irenicus dungeon. There are also other cases. But then, I realise there can be different interpretations of the fact, and she's still a solid character ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.