1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Install difficulties?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DCD, Sep 5, 2011.

1. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A friend of mine is having trouble installing BG on Windows 7, and nobody knows what the problem is.

Typical problem for running it in, say, XP Mode is that XP Mode doesn't support DirectDraw, so the game movies don't load. But for him, the Descent 3 movie loads but none of the in-game ones do. He can't get past the installer for some strange reason, not even in Safe Mode.

I don't know what the deal is. Setting the compatibility to XP or whatnot has no effect. Our last solution is Virtual Box, which he doesn't really want to use.

Any ideas, or similar cases?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What is the *actual* error?

Are you running the application as administrator?

3. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Has he tried installing in a separate folder (not the default, but a new folder)?

4. DCD Gems: 2/31

No error. He says the game simply doesn't launch.

I think I managed to recreate that scenario at one point, but I forgot the details. It was something like running XP Mode in Safe Mode, to force disabling the need for Direct Draw.

But he's having the trouble on Windows 7 itself.

Yes, he's running it as administrator.

I didn't think of this, but he did and sadly it didn't work.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Is the application enabled in his anti-virus? Might be worth launching task manager to see if the process associated with BG is being opened and then closed or if it's simply not opening at all. Not in the Applications tab but the Processes one (To be honest looking at both is ideal.)

6. DCD Gems: 2/31

I'll have him look at that, though we've managed to successfully launch the game in Windows XP.

However, his cursor is lagging around the screen, which reminds me of what happened when I played it under Windows 7 before running software transparent BLT.

He tried that method, however, and it doesn't seem to work. So I'm having him decrease hardware acceleration atm...not sure what'll happen.

Also, we tried to run a MP session. I opened my ports, but he hasn't yet. Do both of us need an open port for BG to work? Should we use Hamachi on top of both opening ports?

Hahahaha, how is that for irony?

I installed Win XP on VirtualBox in an attempt to replicate his problem, but all I've replicated are his Windows 7 symptoms! What did I do? I installed East Asian fonts for one thing, didn't activate the Windows XP, and installed guest additions. Discounting EAF, neither of these problems were present on his Windows 7 trouble. Maybe changing the resolution to 800 x 600?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.