1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Interesting, fun builds ;)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by chevalier, May 16, 2006.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

well, the author says that module is intended for a full party (4 to 6 characters). Regardless, I might give it a try with a wizard 22/ rogue 3/fighter 2. I played this character as relying mostly on melee damage, while using spells mainly for buffs and mass control of weak enemies (and the occasional IGMS for the more annoying enemies). Confusion and mass charm (with greater spell focus - enchantment) work wonders on large crowds.

Mephi aside, I had no problem with the HotU campaign.

2. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wizard/Pale Master/Fighter

This guy simply kicks arse.

I wanted a Paladin/Blackguard, but it seems like an awful lot of work to create

3. Berksmasher Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I did SoU and HotU with a Monk/Fighter/Weapon Master (rapiers) based on the Li Mubai character from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and have rarely had so much fun playing an rpg.

As for the original story, various female anti-Aribeths, including:

-Fighter/Weapon Master (double-bladed Swords)/Blackguard (planned this one before I realized Aribeth fell herself), and
    -Paladin/Champion of Torm/Weapon Master (greatswords)

IIRC I had to cheat some XP to get those two, but regardless they were both a lot of fun.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Berksmasher: You really love Weapon Masters, don't you?? :p

On Topic: I've just played through HoTU with a PRC character...Swashbuckler 3/ Eldritch Knight 10/ Wizard 14...

You get:
    *Insightful Strike (use INT for DMG as well as STR) & Weapon Finesse from the SW levels

*4 attacks per round (Fighter BAB progression thanks to Swashbuckler & Eldritch Knight)

*Greater Two Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity with Haste for 8 attacks per round IIRC

* lvl 27 Wizard spell casting (Practised Spell caster brings it up to a full 27) with ESF Necromancy, Enchantment

* Final INT score of 34...with INT enhancing gear went up to 46 on my character which gave me a +20 to dmg along with my 14 STR's +2 mod...

Yeah...I know its more of a power-gaming character...but I just found it so much FUN to be a heavy damage-dealing melee machine AND a full Wizard with Fighter lvl AB etc that I thought it should get an honorable mention...

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Anybody tried to play a fighter X / spellcaster X ? (kind of like the multiclass characters from 2nd edition rules). I wonder how viable such characters are. You'd definitely lose power in the spellcasting area, and if you take arcane magic, you won't be able to use heavy armor. Might prove quite challenging to play.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That sort of build is nowhere near as powerful as it is under the 2e rules that give you twice as many levels when you multiclass. In NWN, it pays to either go the fighter route (and just get enough wizard levels to cast the basic combat buffs - Bull's Strength etc) or go the Wizard route (and just take enough fighter levels to get enough prowess in your one weapon of choice).

Another way of looking at it is that most Arcane Archer builds will be a sort of fighter / spellcaster.

7. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I now play a Rogue X/Shadow Dancer X. He is true neutral and the fun part is trying to maintain my 'Reconciler Title'. That is, if he's done enough good, he'll find zomething evil to do, to shift the balance. Same goes for lawful and chaotic.

Actually, it's more of an excuse to act like a bigot once in a while :)

BTW: Hide in plain sight is tremendously powrful (that is, if you're patient. I was going all guerilla on everything with my rogue too. I love the set trap skill!)

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Paladin/Swashbuckler, anyone? :shake:

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Why not? I once build a paladin who relied on DEX rather than STR. He was not really efficient, but different.

10. chevalier

Media:
    I tend to build geeky ones. STR doesn't go past 14, DEX 10 without items, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 15. Everything goes into CHA and then there are spells and CHA-based abilities. Might as well try a swashbuckling one, but I'd rather still use longswords, like always. :D Maybe chain instead of full plate, or something. ;)

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I tend to stay away from CHA based Paladin builds because they only have stratospheric damage values on Smite Evil attacks...and if your module creator decided to be cheeky and stick true neutral enemies in there...well, they're not particularly effective apart from that.

Their buffs and spell saves are cool, but they don't grab me like Wizards and Clerics do...

My latest character through Tomb of Horrors is a Samurai/Iaijutsu Master/Cleric...buff my AB like crazy and go crazy with my Katana... :D

12. chevalier

Media:
    I often forget about Smite Evil, actually, so it's mostly the Divine Feats and spell effects for me. Admittedly, devcrit and spells and some minimal Smite Evil could perhaps work out better. ;)

13. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd rather just play a bard. Less complicated.

14. khaavern Gems: 14/31

But then, the problem with NWN combat is that is way too simple :)

Really, if you start with a pure figther, all you can do is bash your way through all (with the only hard decisions you make concerning when to drink a potion or apply a healing kit). Magic using classes offer more diversity (should I nuke this group of kobolds, or conserve my spells till I met the level boss). Then you also have to think about what spells to memorize. If you take multiclassed characters, it becomes even more complicated: should you wear heavy armor and give up the spell casting for the time being, should you memorize buufing spells or damage (as a pure mage, you'd usually have enough spell slots that you can take both). So it helps alleviate the boredom :)

15. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Elf fighter(4) rogue(36) str build dual kukris critting ona roll of 13 with the devastaring critical and great cleave feats.

16. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    There's a feat called 'Still Spell' that negates the somatic part of the spell - and thus any failure chance caused by the hindered movements when wearing heavy armor. It takes one higher level spell slot though. At epic levels you get Automatic Still Spell.

I think the funniest was my Chaotic Evil Paladin/Blackguard (was hoping to make a fallen paladin) that could use the abilities of both classes unhindered... Not to mention having his charisma bonus added to his saving throws TWICE :D His behaviour wasn't so knightlike but everyone was like "you're a man of faith, no?"

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31

I know about the Still Spell feat, but in my opinion is not worth it (casting your spells at one level higher). especially since as a F/M, you will not have access to that many high level spell slots.

What it found it works good is to wear chainshirt; it is basic AC 4, and it also allows +4 Dex modifier; which makes almost as good as full plate (basic AC 8, but with only +1 Dex modifier allowed ). Besides, chain shirt has only small penalties for the Tumble checks (unlike full plate). You can even add a small shield, and your Miscast spell chance will only be at 25%; which is quite reasonable, since anyhow the most spells you'll cast will be buffing, and you can do those before battle.

Were you really lose is in the power of you offensive spells; but really, even with a pure wizard, those can last you only for so long. You can even wear mage robe while you have offensive spells to cast, and when they are gone just change the armor and bust some heads :) .

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Yeah, but Autostill makes it totally worth it to be able to cast spells competently in full plate mail and tower shields.

I never bother with stilled spells before I get the respective autostill feats anyway...atleast apart from stilled IGMS and Ice Storms..

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It would be an interesting build to play. Mostly because it so blurs the difference between an arcane caster and a warrior. Gives your character a sturdy feeling, with all that steel over him.
    Powerplaying wise, i doubt it's worth it, but that's really not the point here anyway. It's different and hence fun.

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

My Bard5/AssassinX(Currently 4) is a really fun build for a roleplaying server I'm playing on. Master of decieving, indeed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.