1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Dark Xan, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Well chief I don't think it has come out yet :p So you'll have to speculate or find a demo maybe???

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is no demo... You can search our news archives at the bottom of the front page of www.sorcerers.net for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor or simply load the front page every day and wait for the reviews to start trickling in. We catch them all. ;)

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I saw it running at the recent European Computer Trade show and I have to say I was very disappointed. To summarise the graphics looked like something from a console game of a few years back, the enemy AI seemed terrible (let's stand here and do nothing while this cloud kill hurts us) and the combat looked very disjointed. I didn't think much of the spell access system either it looked far too difficult to pick spells.

Being more positive, it is not really fair to judge an RPG on a short look. The character development and story are far more important and you need time with a game to appreciate those. I also notice that some previews are beginning to appear so keep your eyes on the front page for links as per Tal's comments. On a final thought, the game has been in development for absolutely ages - can they really muck it up as much as my brief impression suggested?

5. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

oh i thought it was out already

6. Vinadri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"the enemy AI seemed terrible (let's stand here and do nothing while this cloud kill hurts us)"
    Uhhm, you do realize it was turn-based. If it isn't their turn, they aren't going to be moving. Plus cloud kill doesn't affect all monsters so they may have ignored it.

"I didn't think much of the spell access system either it looked far too difficult to pick spells."
    How hard is it? Press "A" or "D" to bring up Arcane or Divine spells. Use the slideout menus to select the spell. Or even better map them to a hotkey. Works better then trying to figure out what icons are what spell.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

errr yes I did realise it was turn based (and I confess to not being a big fan of turn based) but they stayed in the cloud for their turn and died soon afterwards so I guess it was doing damage. As to the spell access, well each to their own. Anyway, don't misunderstand me I am hoping the game will be as good as we all hope it's just that first impressions on seeing it in the flesh was a major let down.

On a more positive note I see that previews are apperaing and most seem positive. Here's a summing up from

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/previews/mar01/pool2.html

'While the attention paid to the graphics and interface is apparent, and some tough decisions in implementation have been made, how the final game will turn out and which type of RPG fanbase it will appease is still up in the air. Certainly, compromises were necessary given both the complications involved in translating AD&D to a computer game, and also the pressures of the current gaming market, which did not leave the SSI/Stormfront teams unscathed. Changes in high level team members and a delay in release date suggest some scrambling was necessary.
    Regardless, the development teams have been listening to fans since the process began and overall the game is looking solid. Whether it will live up to its heritage is a question that can only be answered when we get our hands on a final copy, of course. In the meantime, the debates will rage on and we'll be following its progress.'

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited September 24, 2001).]

8. Vinadri Gems: 1/31

"errr yes I did realise it was turn based"
    okay, I just had to check ;)

"but they stayed in the cloud for their turn and died soon afterwards so I guess it was doing damage."
    Maybe they had nowhere to go or they actually were "dumb" creatures. I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you. Plus I've never used that spell (I prefer Flame Strike and Chain Lightning :D)

"As to the spell access, well each to their own."
    LOL...sorry, I think anything is better then trying to decipher icons.

9. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

If U liked "Diablo" U can give it a try...
    If U liked "Torment" - just dont bother. For all like me - condolences for Our dead expectations.

[Spell out "you" please; it's actually the policy here if you'd read the FAQ - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited October 03, 2001).]

10. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It's actually not that bad, if you can get past all the bugs. I'm enjoying it more than I did with PST. Though it does seem a more hack and slash type game.

11. The Grim Pickle Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I just started playing it, and I'm pretty disappointed and sadly surprised.

I was first suprised that there are no Wizards, Bards, Druids, or Gnomes in the game, and that Clerics cast spells like Sorcerers. Underwhelmed by the spell selection. Hit points are rolled randomly with no max-hp option, which is annoying. (Let me play the game the way I want to!) There's no real way to pause the screen without blocking all view. Not crazy about the new engine, the lack of character portraits and voices (which added vital flavor to IWD and BG), the way you have to access character information, etc.

And I was very surprised and disappointed by the complete lack of choice and control you have over the construction of your character. You choose your class and your initial ability scores (which are calculated in a new, limiting way) and then the classes you take later on. But you are completely shut out of feat and skill selection, and even gender is assigned. You go up a level, the game decides what skills you get/increase and what feats you get. What if I don't want my Rogue to waste skill points on Heal or whatever and instead put them in Hide or Spot? What if I want this feat instead of that one? Too fucking bad. You basically become the type of Cleric or Rogue the game wants you to become.

The game professes to be using the 3E rules but disallows the freedom and versatility those very rules were designed to give. Pools of Radiance is rigid, limiting, and half-assed. Even Diablo gives you more freedom than this.

One thing I do like: My Paladin/Monk. Having up to four starting characters. And graphically, it's great so far.

If it were a non-D&D game, I would give it a B+. As a D&D game, it's a D+/C-.

12. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Harsh words, but some are true. The most important being the total lack of choice for skills and feats which totally annoys me. The "limiting" ability scores are ok imo, because otherwise everyone would just roll for hours until you get a great scrore, which I always did, so this way it makes it more rounded out and level. Of course this creates a lot of fighters with charismas of 3, but it seems more realistic. The gender is only limited in some races and classes, but I would like more choice in that. I like the combat except for the fact that I never get any attacks of opportunity even when an orc walks right through my line of fighters to attack my mage, and the computer gets attacks of opportunity from really far off. Apart from these problems, the game seems to be really good. Better than the D+/C- The Grim Pickle would give it.

13. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

sounds like the kind of game i would stop playing after week

a sad story indeed

14. blazerskaggs Gems: 1/31

I really like the game myself. The interface of the game is a lot less cluttered like in Baldur's Gate. I also think the pictures in Baldur's Gate were kind of useless and just made the screen smaller.

15. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

i am going buy nwn when it comes out and thats about the only game i'll buy for a little while so i dont think i'll get it

16. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What was the point buy the game finally shipped with anways? 28 point buy? And can you lower scores below 8?

17. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

what do you mean "25 points"

[This message has been edited by Dark Xan (edited October 09, 2001).]

18. Subra Gems: 8/31

Veteran

25 points Crawl.

My first impressions of this game: Excellent painting. PC development has alot of interesting potential. Menu driven action commands are cumbersome and boring. Interaction with NPC's is weak and with PC via multiplayer is also weak, mostly due to turn based tactical combat. This is decent fight game, but so was Diablo. If I were to advise someone, I would say pass on this game. Save your money for Dark Age of Camelot, because Pool of Radiance, RoMD is a flop as a RPG.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

25 points? Really? For a dungeon crawl? Wow, that seems pretty low indeed for a game so focused on fights. Must suck to be a multi class character in this game.

Also, please explain the joys of being a Plaladin/Monk. I'm not knocking the multiclass or anything, it just seems like an odd contradiction. Both are restricted multiclasses, and their styles of fighting seem to be at odds. It could be intersting, but I'm interested in it's apeal. How is it from a real play standpoint. I'm guessing you took Paladin levels for the spells, smite evil, lay hands, and greater armed BaB. Does that work out well?

20. dmartin797 Gems: 1/31

I agree about the Paladin/Monk being a poor choice. I think a better combo would be a Cleric/Monk.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.