1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it worth $50?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kitrax, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I was at my local Best Buy and I saw that ToEE was "on sale" for $50! Now mabe it's just me but that's a lot of money for a game. Is ToEE worth $50? Or should I wait a year or two for the price to drop to $20? :rolling:

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I would say wait. You're not missing anything wonderful, and maybe after that time they might have got some more patchs out.

3. Bhaerau Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would wait to buy it. You could buy the NWN expansion instead.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] On sale for $50?!?!?!?!? I bought it at Best Buy over two months ago for only $39.99! I like this game a lot...But I'd hold out for a better price.

5. Lord Solaris Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] 50 $ ... i think that the owner of the shop is just a little bit thief...
    at the moment you have two chance
    1) wait for a while and buy it when the price lower with the hope of a pile of patch for the game
    2) start a market benchmark in order to find another shop with the right price.

in Italy some times i can find different prices for the same thing in different places, and i think that in USA is the same.
    :D
    i have got this game and i think that IMHO it is great (yes have a pile of bug but i like this tipe of game)

6. Rhea Gems: 1/31

I wouldn't pay $50 for it. Look online and you can find it for considerably less.

It's fun, and a great time-waster till something better comes out, though. There's a patch available, and a second patch that works with the official patch by the Circle of 8 that fixes a lot of bugs. There's also a second patch due from Atari.

7. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Rhea is right - they're planning to release a second patch sometime after Christmas. But even without the second patch, the game is still great (if you don't mind plotlessness and dull NPCs) - but wait for it to drop to $40 at the most. (I bought it at the same Best Buy sale as Sir Bel, on his tip-off - thanks!)

8. icelus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sam's Clubs here in Houston are selling ToEE and the NWN Gold Edition for $16.88 each. I went ahead and bought both, since it seemed like a pretty good deal to me. The Best Buy across the street, and the Wal-Mart around the corner, actually, were both selling ToEE for almost $40.00.

9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    A friend of mine wants to buy the game, but he's asking me for advice and I've no idea how it's going to be like.
    Is it worth it? Is it better than Lionheart?
    If yes, then at least it'll be somewhat fun, like a tier two Diablo. If not, then I'll tell him to forget the idea.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I personally prefered Lion Heart, but then I bet most people will disagree. I found it highly disappointing, and that was from a person who expected it to be terrible any way. It could have been the fact that I never got a chance to get into it (I had it about 1 week before I got accepted at ALFA, which took over my time), but even still, I'd advise that friend of yours not to buy it, but then I don't know your friend, so that maybe bad advise.

11. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This game is much more complicated than Diablo, and its Turn-based, so your friend may not like it (unless he is a D&D fan).

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Actually, he bought it, got disappointed with it, sold it to me, and now I'm enjoying it. :p
    My attention span decreasing at a rapid rate though, ever since I discovered just how plotless it is.

13. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] gods-no its not! Please dont buy it.

14. BlackSmith Banned

[​IMG] well if you are old enough to get more kick out of game that needs something more from its player than a fast mouse hand, then i say go for it.

15. david w Gems: 19/31

On the other hand, it comes in a rather fetching box and the disc makes for a nifty coaster. So if you're buying it for these reasons I'd definitely recommend getting it. Just so long as you don't make the same mistake as I did and actually 'play' the thing...

16. BlackSmith Banned

[​IMG] it was too hard to play? the fact that you have to read the manual if you want to survive was too to much to ask?

some games are bit more complicated than a simple click-fest.
    i bet you dont, or cant, play chess either.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think you need to go read the forum rules you agreed to follow upon registration, so you don't make any similarly insulting posts in the future.

18. BlackSmith Banned

insult? well thats far from it.

games that are bit more complicated than windos spades might not "open" or be as easily playable to people that don't play or can't play more complicated games than windows spades.
    a fact.

and this fact has nothing to do about if the game worth 50€.

if a reading a manual or preoccupation with a game is too big step for a gamer, then more complex games are not suitable choice for him thus his statement is based on pure lack of judgement regarding to that game.

in other words:
    if a person can't use a computer, his oppinnion (that is likely negative) about the computers performance and its quality/money rate is groundless.
    if he can't even turn it on how can he say if it is good or bad?

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sounds rather insulting to me. It's a direct attack on david w's (I assume he is who you are talking about being the only person between your first post in this thread and his) intelligence or ability to understand rules and gaming.

Why you insulted him is beyond me anyway. david w simply expressed his distaste for the game
    and you insulted him?

Careful BlackSmith. As Tal has stated these forums don't tolerate insulting behaviour directed at other forum users.

20. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It really isn't worth $50 USD, or even $30, in my opinion. The gameplay isn't that great, and it can get very tedius.

It's pretty hard until you get used to the interface, even if it is similar to NWN's.

I'd wait to buy this game until it comes down to $25 at the highest; any more than that isn't worth it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.