1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it worth $50?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kitrax, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. BlackSmith Banned

and i pointed out that he might not be the right person to judge if the game is made badly.

to me your marginal for taking something as a insult is a ricidicously low specialy if it is not. it makes me to think that these boards accept only oppinnions that are "popular".

3. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've been wavering on whether or not to get this game. Being plotless is a big barrier, but I believe I can get past that if the combat is really good. I like turn-based combat, and haven't been able to play suh a game in a long time.

Anyway, I would like to hear some honest answers from people who have played the game, beyond "this game is the greatest" and "this game sucks"! $30 is still $30, after all. So, if you have the time and inclination, I'd like to hear it. What's combat really like? Have most of the bad bugs been fixed? (I don't really care about the minor rules ones, but crashing and broken quests are big problems.) Is it eminently playable with different party configurations, and just how badly do you need those NPCs who steal your stuff anyway?

By the way, the thought of needing to read a 200-pg (or whatever it is) manual is no obstacle for me.

4. Pigbin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I would suggest that buying this game at full price is definately not something to do. I would wait a while until its going a lot cheaper.
    It has some nice touches, it has some nice ideas, it also has some major problems. The biggest was a total lack of plot, sorry let me change that, a total lack of plot with any hook. Sure you get a nice little vignette to start the ball rolling but once thats over there is really just nothing to keep you interested. I found it nothing more than a dungeon bash, and not even a terribly interesting one at that. I'm sure many will disagree with me but unless you really like pointless hack and slash wait until its in the 3 for £10 range.

5. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just out of curiosity, Oh Wise Blacksmith, what makes *you* more qualified than me to judge whether a game is good or not?

I played the game. I didn't like it. I thought it was a bad game. Easy enough to understand?

Oh, and I do play chess. Good game. Cost me a lot less than $50.00.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    The boards have nothing to do with it. It's how you can prove your opinions that affects things, though.

I've played the game, and looking at at the present price with respect to my humble homeland's currency it's just about worth it.
    But the best way to find out is to try the game.
    All the features are very nice, and gameplay would have been fun had the the fact that the game was rushed wasn't TOO apparent.

8. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have played the demo, and the demo party bugs me too much to go far. Totally not my play-style. But wow, it's gorgeous.

Looks like it might be something that's easy to play casually. Unlike BG2, which can still keep me up all night. What the heck, I need an avatar anyway :roll: .

9. Greywulfken Gems: 1/31

As Tal pointed out, you can get the game for less than $50 now, but regardless - if you love D&D, the game is a must have.

The rules are totally up-to-date, the graphics are awesome, and it is a recreation of a classic D&D module.

Furthermore, despite hearing horror stories about bugs and problems, I got the game in February, patched it with the official patch and the Circle of 8 patch. I have never encountered any bugs that affected my game play or enjoyment (and I have a very average computer).

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What's your definition of average computer? I have been thinking about getting ToEE for a while, I just don't know how it will perform...

11. Greywulfken Gems: 1/31

Good point.

I have a the Dell Dimension 4100 (I bought it in July of 2001): a Pentium III @ 1 Gz with 20.4 GB, the NVIDIA GeForce 4Ti 4200 (128 MB) video card, an 8x/4x/32x CD-RW, and the SBLive! soundcard. My OS is Windows Millenium.

Only the very high-end graphics from Neverwinter Nights cause me to get bogged down (things like 4x antialiasing and fast grass features will slow play down after about a 1/2 hour or so or during very active sequences of magic and combat), otherwise everything from ToEE to Morrowind plays without a problem.

12. Mr. Clean Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I have played completely through the game twice and am going through it for my third time now. I grew up playing SSI Goldbox D&D (then AD&D) games with turn-based combat and have been waiting for the industry to make a modern version. The story is a bit simple, but come on, so are half of the games on the market.

It is the overall play that makes or breaks a game. I would say, make a party; play at least until you have entered your first "dungeon" (the moat house) and see what you think of the strategic aspect of turn based combat.

If you want more story, do some quests in town. If you want to see what makes this game shine, go kill some stuff.

Downloading and playing the demo is good in theory, but you will not get a true picture with the limited play of the demo.

It is now down to $22.50 on Amazon.com. Is it worth $22.50?, absolutely.
    :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.