1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is NWN2 A Gaming Success?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Fluff-n-Oncense, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You must not read the official forums much...

Can you share the source of that figure? To my knowledge, no sales figures for NWN2 have been released or mentioned by anyone official. 3 million seems several times too high...

Not yet. ;)

It should be noted that the lack of updates on SP in the last 8 months has been largely my fault due to a whole slew of different factors, but it's not an indication of a decline of interest, far from it. Good things are afoot...

Btw, the only real fansite of those you've listed is Thieves-Guild. That's 1 (one) active NWN2-only fansite. GameFAQs is a global file repository which produces nothing of its own (it's all fan-submitted), and GameBanshee is a purely commercial site which produces content for every RPG released. So the comparison isn't really fair.

There's nothing sudden about it... It's due to 5 years of constant patching of the game and 1 really good expansion. Not that the game didn't have plenty of fans before that, but the reasons above are what makes it a solid product *now* in my eyes.

Most of the bugs in those games weren't noticeable by the regular player. Most of the bugs in newer games are severe enough to be noticeable by anyone. That's the difference.

2. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

this can't be right, considering oblivion sold in about 1,5 mil copies for both x360 and PC versions

personally i'd say the nwn2 sales haven't exceeded the 500k mark
    regardless, even 500k should be considered a respectable market success, considering the game didn't live up to the expectations of most

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i think Ironhawk missread Atari's statement, that the NWN frenchise sold more then 3million copies (nwn+hotu+sou+nwn2)

another statement says nwn1+expansions sold around 2million, so nwn2 must be around 1 million

[ April 28, 2007, 09:11: Message edited by: Equester ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I doubt it's anywhere near 1 million (I'd agree with the 500k assessment). If it did sell over the 1 million mark, there'd be a press release about it and much rejoicing on Atari's side. 1 million is the limit where even conservative publishers who hardly ever let their sales figures be known start cranking out hype releases, and Atari hasn't.

NWN franchise has sold more than 3 million copies over the period of 5 years. And that figure includes NWN, SoU, HotU, all the premium modules (almost certainly) and NWN2.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    What I disliked about NWN2:
    • Excessive hardware requirements
    • Horrid standard user interface
    • Abysmal product (non-)support
    • Very linear story
    • No customisability for armor and items, a feature of NWN I grew quite fond of (even though I found it moronic to have to invest skill points to change looks. Great idea, stupid implementation.)
    You get the idea. Tal made a good point saying that NWN over time has matured. That's quite correct.

NWN2 is far from that. When I first played it I got caught in 'The Abominable Demon Loop' and needed to cheat myself out of it in order to be able to continue my game. To be able to play conveniently I deeded to install xUI, a fan mod for the horrible user interface. To be quite honest, as a chronic restater, I haven't even finished it yet. That much for a gripping story.

What I liked about NWN2:
    • Nice graphics, when they eventually ran smoothly
    • Better NPC choices than in NWN1, but with a lot room for improvement - why for example can't they choose prestige classes, multiclass? And what about diversity?
    So was it a success? Not really, it is ok, looks nice, but is not really a great game.

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I think it was a sucess. It had it's faults (I spent a month geting my character to the statues for the clensing ritual to fight the King of Shadows. I throw 1 fireball at an orc at the base of one of them and it's says the statue is in combat ) But the game was well done, and addictive to the extrem.

I vote for sucess.

7. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I haven't played it since the first day when I beat it. It had plenty of... really, really bad bugs. Forunately, despite it's flaws, it was still fun to play through. I didn't mind the linear story-line so much because well... I really just wanted to kill stuff that got harder and harder as I continued. Everything else mattered not.

NWN1 OC was impossible for me to play when I started playing that game. I hated act1 passionately. But once I got passed that (and it takes me like 1 hour to complete it), the campaign was amazing, I think. Same issure with NWN2 but it takes FOREVER to start the game. Unfortunately I can't play it multiplayer and save just outside of Irenicus' dungeon for all future starts ya know?

In terms of success in gaming, the game sold enough I'm sure that it's a "success". In fact it has an xpac coming out, so... it's successful. I don't hate the game, I hate obsidian for not making it up to par.

As far as sales for PC games, they're nowhere near console sales. Xbox regularily sells over a million(or 7 million?) copies of games because consoles are mainstream, computer games aren't, so anything over 100k sales is good.

EDIT:
    To the comments about the BG series, they are a marker for all good rpg's because they not only have a solid story line, but also great NPC's, Great interaction with the environment and RPG's. That's what makes an RPG as opposed to an action adventure game. Diablo2 is not an RPG...

8. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

The worst problem that NWN2 has is not bugs, changes in the Multiplayer procedures, or increased Toolset complexity. Very certainly, objecting to hardware requirements is a useless whine, with no major support. None of those come close to the disadvantage inherent in having Atari for a publisher. As already pointed out here, ToEE had great promise, but ended up being killed by Atari's disrepect for its customers.

In spite of that huge disability, GameFaqs reports that NWN2 has reached number eight in sales. Obsidian obviously has a far better financial arrangement with Atari than Troika had.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    What exactly does that mean, and where did you see that?

10. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

On the GameFaqs page. I was seeing a huge slowdown on everything on their site Saturday, while trying to get a copy of an Item_Tags list they've hosted. I'll pause in the middle of my current reply, here, and open a new window to determine whether they are still in Extra-Slow Mode or not (if so, I leave it to someone with broadband on their messaging and casual surfing box to visit there for you).

OK, no problem at all. Look at the "Top Ten Games" list on the left on this page: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/

And next time you call me a liar, bring your dueling pistols, infant!

11. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

i wonder what diablo2 lod is doing on that top10 list
    and stalker taking up the no.6 spot?

okay that table is weird and i don't really know what it represents either

12. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That's great... mind explaining to the ignorant unwashed masses what the "Top Ten Games" list is supposed to be indicative of? Because looking at that page, one can only guess. Top 10 in regards to what? Sales? Number of contributions? User reviews? Hardware requirements? Karma improvement? The word "sales" isn't mentioned anywhere on that page. Let alone any figures or what the ladder is based on.

And if it is sales, as I'm assuming you're claiming, where exactly does GameFAQs get the sales figures from? I'm somewhat doubtful that Atari forwards them their balance sheets or sales reports...

Uh... what?

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

i think we can rule out it being a sales figure or hardware requirement, because both wow and D2:lod requires less then nwn2.

Secondly if it was sales i have a hard time believing anything but wow should be on the top, with more then 8million subcribers, this game has clearly sold more then any of does on the list.

14. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

the statistic probably has something to do with the gamefaqs page itself, perhaps it lists the most commonly visited PC FAQs in the last month... that would make sense i think

15. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm sad to say it wasn't a success in my eyes. I tried desperately to overlook the flaws, and with most games, I'm usually able to at least make it through to the end. But there was too much about NWN2 that frustrated and disappointed me. And I just wasn't able to stick it out (stopped playing in chapter 2 somewhere).

Performance issues. Linear plot. The "illusion" of choice. Numerous inexcusable bugs. Blah, blah, blah --All games have their problems, but for this gamer, NWN2's issues were enough to outweigh the enjoyment I should have otherwise been experiencing.

My take on this game is that it's chalk full of potential, but lacks the magic to gather that potential into a truly great game.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Couldn't disagree with you more.

I've found NWN2 to be one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. I'm loving it, despite being extremely skeptical in the beginning. Maybe it's because I have a recently updated system and waited for full patching before giving it a serious go...but I really look forward to getting off work at night so I can trudge through the next dungeon. So what if it's a bit linear - most great stories/campaigns are.

I admit - I very large part of what I love about it are the visuals. From the cool weapons and armor, to the spell animations, to the vastly improved 3d character models - this really is a beautiful game. It's so pretty, in fact, that I've recently looked at screenshots from the original NWN the character models look so ugly in comparison, I'm not sure I even want to play it again. :sad:

So I would definitely consider the game an upper-modest success. What prevents it from being a great success IMO are the overly high system requirements and the apparent lack of a decent marketing budget on the part of the game makers / publisher. But overall I love it - and can't WAIT for the expansion, eventual premium modules and I hold out hope for some killer fan-created content (though not counting on it by any means - I got my hopes up way too high for the City of Doors initiative for NWN1 and was severaly let down).

17. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    NWN 2 was good, boring, but still one of the best computer games released at the moment. It could have been better, there was no reason to ruin the game with small problems.

After looking at the link for a moment, it seems it's based on the Game Ranking list (which looks like a smaller version of Metacritic). Number 8 in sales my arse.

Somebody get the dueling pistols :rolleyes:

18. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Honestly, I'm happy for you. At least some are able to find this game sincerely enjoyable, and honestly, I wish I could say I was one of them. Maybe if I'd be running a $6,000 top of the line system instead of my $3,500 one year old system the system requirements/FPS woudn't have become a constant source of frustration, and if I'd waited a bit longer to start playing (so a couple of patches would have been available), I'd be in a different boat right now.

But things didn't work out that way for me this time, and now when I look at games like Medieval 2 Total War, which is able render thousands of soldiers at high detail on my machine, with full shadows, high resolution and everything cranked up, I've just got it in my mind that NWN2 is a sub par game.

They say you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and while I don't fully agree with this, I think there is at least some truth to the statement.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.