1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is there a mod that allows Stalkers to dual class besides just cleric?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry the subject line should be "MOD" not "modE"
    Is there a mod out there somewhere? I can only get the option for cleric. No thief or mage :(
    I used the cheat to get all 18's to see if it was possible and I get the same thing. Just cleric?
    Well I just tried a normal ranger and still just a cleric option. No mage or rogue. :(
    Any mod out there that can help?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Even ShadowKeeper doesn't make it possible, I'm afraid. The dualing and multiclass options are 'set in stone', so to speak. Probably because every combo requires a new High Level Ability table to be made for it.

Granted, the only HLA that Rangers get over other warriors is Tracking, so you could easily substitute the Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Mage & Fighter/Druid tables for Ranger/Thief, Ranger/Druid & Ranger/Mage. But it's set in stone, I'm afraid. Ranger/Druid would probably needs a lot of divine magic tweaking too. Paladin and Barbarian should also easily be able to be substituted for Warrior. I tried with ShadowKeepr, but no joy.

I've been asking around on Mega Mod Help for quite a while about a Polish mod called Avi_Maya. It adds a Bard/Cleric multi character NPC, and I want to know how it was made, what the HLA table looks like, and if it's stable to play. Or rather, change my PC into one - I prefer Bioware NPCs over Avi-Maya, really.

As for divine magic, I'm having tremendous fun with my 3 multiclass units. Minsc is now my Ranger/Cleric: Great selection of spells. Jaheira is a Fighter/Avenger: Chromatic Orb, Web and Chain Lightning to her Druidic flavour. And I edited Viconia into a Cleric/Mage, which was a wise choice, since plain clerics can't stoneskin themselves, but mages can! Now all my party members can stoneskin themselves :D

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think HLAs have anything to do with it. HLAs were introduced in Throne of Bhaal, but they were hardcoded in BG1 and Shadows of Amn. ToB didn't come out until years later (counting BG1).

I do recall being told that the multiclass combos are hardcoded.
    To be fair, the restrictions are in my copy of the AD&D 2.0 Player's Handbook. It is mentioned that dual classing can only be done by valid multi-class combinations, and it goes on to list them. Then again, I don't know anyone who can play the game without some house rules. Especially our group, where rule of fun trumped just about anything else. If it made things more fun, the DM allowed it. It was the main way we got some hilarious objects that a munchkin or powergamer could have abused the heck out of to make them overpowered. The DM allowed it so long as rule of fun prevailed and we didn't abuse them.

4. Bsisi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you really want it, you can try gemrb. It's open source, so even it it doesn't allow such combo, you can add it yourself.
    Though from my experience gemrb is far from ready....

coineineagh likes this.
  5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

They are upgrading it all the time. You can play BG2 for sure.
    Major snag is mods, the conversation frequently does not happen...

6. coineineagh

Media:
    I'll tentatively check it out, thanks.

EDIT: this thing is an alternative exe for the program? It would probably wreak havoc on any installed mods...
    I'll ask around on mega mod help if it's compatible.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Probably it's best to get a fresh install, copy that somewhere, then get started with modding it. At least then you can always roll back to the original. In your case, I'd keep your modded install as a separate installation. You can try to copy that install to a new map and install gemrb over that to see if it works after that.

8. coineineagh

Media:
    I asked, but it really seems impossible.

No Ranger/Mage or Bard/Paladin for us, it seems.:o
    Well, I have my Fighter/Swashbuckler/Mage. At least he does great damage, can use the highest level spells (eventually), and can do more than just pickpocket.

9. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

GemRB is an open-source alternative exe for the BG2 that uses all the usual files for the BG2 game. It can also play the other 2E Infinity Engine games. Playing IWD2 on Gem was a bit of a pain when I tried it a few months ago.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Why would you choose swashbuckler? The lack of backstabbing means you don't get as much from the thief. You do get open locks, pick pockets, detect illusions, and hide, but so do all the other kits. For a single classed thief, the bonuses to hit and damage are great, but your fighter levels more than compensate for that. They are partially negated by the lack of levels from triple classing instead of double-classing.
    An assassin or bounty hunter would be far better as you can take advantage of hiding to backstab.

11. coineineagh

Media:
    I've considered all these aspects. I have 3 thieves in my party. I wanted to try out all 3 kits, Assassin, Swashbuckler and Bounty Hunter. In fact, my triple-class main character started out as an Assassin, but the 15 skill points/level really hurts him when he levels so slowly.
    Imoen was my Swash/Mage, but I switched them around, so now my main character is a Swash/Fighter/Mage, and Imoen is an Assassin/Mage.

It works better, not just for the thieving skills (main character picks pockets, Imoen unlocks/detraps), but because of the backstabbing options. My Swash/Fighter/Mage doesn't feel obliged to limit himself to weapons that can backstab anymore - He's doing well on the frontline with a dispelling fire axe from the Drizztsaga mod, dual wielded with a weapon that grants bonus attacks.

I plan to do major backstabbing with Imoen and Edwin, who I both classed into Assassin/Mage (i considered Bounty Hunter, but the traps are still too weak compared to HLA traps). All those mods will probably get me at least 2 Staff o/t Magi (BG1's Drizztsaga already had a nerfed version). I know you can't backstab with mage-only staves, but you can equip a backstabbing weapon, hide in shadows, strike, and switch to SotM for some mild invisivility-abuse-cheese.

Imoen and Edwin are built more frail than my F/M/T main character, so their future x7 backstab will add some melee competence to their base 1 attack/round. By that time, my main character will be much more efficient with his speedy regular attacks, though I admit that without backstab I'm missing out on attacks of opportunity on stunned/held/etc victims.

In summary; I feel it's the right allocation of kits to suit my needs.:cool:

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I take it you changed their races or flipped the mage/thief duel? Standard Imoen is a dual class mage->thief, and human's can only dual class, they can't multiclass.

As for myself, I always thought that the swashbuckler was best for a single class thief or maybe a cleric/thief. Maybe a mage/thief, but the abuse of mislead makes the free backstabbing too tempting to sacrifice it for the better THAC0. I do see how it can help a fight/thief now if you really need thieving skills as it minimizes the penalty for including those fighter levels. Also, I get the point, I remember now that you only get 6th level spells when you're close to the ToB XP cap. I had forgotten that, so no mislead until the end of the game.

13. coineineagh

Media:
    I know, but ShadowKeeper can do almost anything (except combine 'impossible' classes). Actually, the basic changes were done in my install, with a mod called level1npcs. All my characters are multiclasses, because there's so much XP to get in my megamod, that a single class would just be missing out - even dual class.
    Main character: Elven Fighter/Assassin/Mage, edited into Swashbuckler later
    Minsc: Stalker/Cleric. This combination is great, especially with loosened weapon restrictions. Funny that he outcompetes Viconia for spell slots with only 6WIS.
    Jaheira: Fighter/Avenger. Avenger adds a few mage spells and shapeshifts, the most notable being Chromatic Orb, which is very strong with the initially fast-leveling druid class.
    Imoen: Swashbuckler/Mage, edited into Assassn instead. I had to do some editing in Shadowkeeper, because she was retaining Swash bonuses, and wasn't getting the x7 backstab. Fixed now.
    Edwin: Thief/Conjurer. I preferred to retain access to all spell schools over an extra spell/level, so I edited him into an Assassin/Mage, just like Immie.
    Viconia: Priest of Talos/Mage. My only problem wqit this combo is that the High Level Abilities for both clerics and mages are finite. So when the others can pick more Greater Whirlwind Attacks or Time Traps on level ups, Viconia will eventually run out of HLAs to pick.

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd pick priest of Lathander over Talos. Talos is actually an aspect of the orc god Grummsh (forcing an elf, even a drow elf, to worship the god of orcs is already stepping wayyy into inappropriate territory) and Viconia already gets the Lightning spell from her mage side.
    Boon of Lathander stacks with itself. A level 40 cleric of Lathander can reach a total of 5 attacks per round if only for several seconds all by him/herself thanks to BoL.

Enjoy it while you can, the BGx:EE zealots and their ilk will likely have BoL stacking removed.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.