1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 gets an HD Let's Play!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Dr_Asik, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Been checking your Battle Squares videos and lo and behold, even I learned something new. :) The experience bonus for higher ranks is just HUGE, and can be "forced" if you want to do some Power Word: Reload cheese there. The complete Squares is worth quite a bit over 100,000 exp if you're to push it, dwarfing the quest exp of the whole CHAPTER by quite a margin. :o

That's absolutely something to consider if you're to maximize experience gain.. and absolutely something you should NOT do while you're in Chapter Two yourself. Just save it until the end of Chapter Four instead, backtrack to the Ice Temple and own the place with your high level characters, lest you get absolutely HUGE exp reductions all the way through chapters three and four.

2. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Good God, I've helped Sir Rechet learn something about IWD2. Something I ignored, at that. :D

I truly am blessed.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The XP you can get for winning a battle square level is also level scaled, it's treated like a level (rank+5) monster IIRC, so a level 15 party won't get any XP for fighting on the first 2 ranks for example.

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Oh, that's yet more news then. I just assumed it'd be quest exp, but if it counts as a "monster", then of course you want to cash it in as soon as you can.

Considering that the party was average level 10 (a whole lot of level 11s and a Drow dragging the average down by a notch) at the time of doing Rank 10, it actually matches your assumption of CR equivalency = Rank + 5. CR15 "monster" vs level 10 party is exactly 9,000 exp, just as in the video. I'll have to double-check some other spots in the videos, but IIRC I saw a 8,100 exp reward doing Rank 9, which would match level 9 party's exp award for CR14 mob.

Edit: Confirmed. First he got 8,100 exp for Rank 9 levels, but after a level-up to average party level 10 (levels 11, 11, 11, 9, 11, 10 in march order) it dropped down to 6,000 exp. That confirms both the "monster" type exp award (instead of Quest exp) and gives three matching datapoints to the CR = Rank + 5 formula.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.