1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2: my newbie party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Klorox, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Go with your second party. You know you don't have to take all the levels in one class at one go.

So your Bard/Druid can start out as Bard and immediately switch over to Druid, taking further Bard levels only when you think you have sufficient levels as Druid. Your Bard level would be your ECL penalty ;)

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Just some more brainstorming here. I noticed that I've always been concentrating on my Sorcerer being my main spellslinger, and (if I have one) my Wizard being the backup. What do you think of this party:

1) Aasimar Ftr 4/Paladin X
    2) Dwarf Ftr 4/ Barbarian X
    3) Dwarf Battleguard of Tempus
    4) Human Bard 11/ Sorcerer X
    5) Tiefling Rogue 1/Wizard X (Drow? Human? Halfling? Elf?)
    6) Wild Elf Druid X

3. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Make the wizard a drow their really fun to play i think and you wouldnt have had a chance before(at least i dont know any other games that gave you the choice of drow as a race) and theirs no XP penalty from the multiclass and sure the ECL is HEAPS but you get magic resistance and a bonus to INT and DEX(sure youd get the same stat bonuses from tiefling but still i think drows other bonuses are cooler). Also it would allow you to throw in some other random class levels later which tiefling wouldnt allow you. And also just so you know human is one of the worse races for mage seeing as it offers nothing. NORMALLY human can do anything but the feat and extra skill points arent really needed for a mage who will have MORE then enough skillpoints by the end (though a little stretched at the start) and even enough feats by the end(my mage managed to get enough feats so i could take fighting feats such as rapid shot and improved critical). Also i think elf is a pretty bad choice since you take a penalty to CON which is really needed else your mage will die(it will at some point be attacked by mean enemies and peoples spells) and the DEX you get in exchange isnt as helpful since at later levels you wont have anywhere near enough AC to dodge attacks and the reflex save boost and attack bonus to ranged weapons isnt worth the lost Hp. The halfling is OK but i really think you need a boost to INT so you can get the highest INT possible so you can get extra spells to make up for the spells per day which your sorcerer is losing

Your magic will be really slow(with drow) and you'll really have to rely on the power of your druid at the start before your mages get their better area of effect spells. But even then it wont be slowed too much and since you said you dont like spellcasters much it should work out fine for you though i wouldnt like it as im very much into arcane magic

[ November 11, 2005, 08:28: Message edited by: Goon66 ]

4. Klorox

I've been realizing in my games that I really want the main spellcasters to advance in levels quickly, and I don't really care about the ECL penalty for my tanks. That being said, here is my new proposed party, please LMK what you think:

1) Drow Female Cleric 1/Paladin X/Fighter Y (I don't know if I like the Painbearer of Ilmater or the Watcher of Helm's abilities better).
    2) Svirfneblin Fighter X/Barbarian Y
    3) Shield Dwarf Battleguard of Tempus
    4) Wild Elf Druid
    5) Human Sorcerer
    6) Drow Male Rogue 1/Wizard X

Notes:

I am considering dropping the 1 level of Cleric for character #1, but I think the bonuses from either order are pretty good! I'm considering playing a Gold Dwarf instead of a Human for #5, since the Dwarven racial bonuses are worth more to me than a feat. I could also add in a level of Paladin here, but that would restrict me to choosing Human. Another option is adding a level of Bard for the cool Bard-Only items, but I'm really not sure I want to slow the advancement of my main spellcaster at all. With character #6, I am considering adding either a 2nd Rogue level (Evasion is great), a single Bard level (If I don't do it with character #5), or just keeping it as is.

Is it worth adding a Paladin level to an otherwise single-classed Sorcerer? I really like Divine Grace, but I also really like the idea of getting the higher level spells ASAP. What about the Bard level to either build #5 or #6? Are the items worth stunting spellcasting advancement?

[ November 16, 2005, 00:12: Message edited by: Klorox ]

5. Goon66 Gems: 6/31

The bard items arent that great theres only 1 i was sad i couldnt get from HoF mode but it wasnt that good since you could only use it if u were fighting with only 1 hand(no shield, 2nd weapon or 2handed weapon). With your sorcerer why not just wait till youve gotten all the spells you need to start taking that paladin level such as around level 20 which should be around the start of HoF mode when saves really actually start to count a lot more for a backline party member.

6. Klorox

Ugh, that latest proposed party didn't do to well. I think I'm just going to ditch the whole Bard idea.

I'm working on getting all of my classes to have spellcasting of some sort. Can anybody suggest a 6th man for this team?:

1)Aasimar Fighter 4/Paladin
    2)Shield Dwarf Cleric of Tempus
    3)Gold Dwarf Sorcerer (maybe Human, I'm weighing the pros/cons of each)
    4)Wild Elf Druid
    5)Drow Rogue 1/Wizard

TIA!

EDIT: I could do an archer-type bard here, taking a level or two of Barbarian for the bow feat and higher speed or a level or four of Fighter for more feats. Just an idea...

EDIT 2: OTOH, a Bard shines in a melee orientated party, which I'm really not since I'm leaning more and more towards magic.

Maybe a Monk? (I'm not too sure about that one)

7. Goon66 Gems: 6/31

Umm those classes are the same as my parties the only class your missing is i have an extra cleric(hes a modified version of an ultimate AC char which i made fit my party)and the adition heals and holy words rule :) . But for you i dont know you could try it

[ November 16, 2005, 07:43: Message edited by: Goon66 ]

8. Klorox

I was thinking maybe giving a Svirfneblin Fighter/Barbarian a shot (while not really a spellcaster, he's got cool spellcasting abilities), but I don't know if that character would suck or not. :D

I could also do that whole "nerf your physical stats, and rely on shapeshifting" with my Druid. But if I rely on shapeshifting I'm going to do one level as a Monk.

Interesting idea there about the extra Cleric though, Goon. A Lathander Cleric specializing in Fire feats would be quite a force!

9. Goon66 Gems: 6/31

Yea my extra cleric is lathander as well :) they have such GREAT spells and my main cleric is also tempus just like yours :)

10. Klorox

A Talosian Cleric would work well too (but doesn't fit the "Good" theme of my party).

11. Goon66 Gems: 6/31

I wanted bane but that screwed up MY good aligned party (i just dont see paladins travelling with evil people) :( and my ability to use Holy Word without affecting any of my own units.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Hey Klorox, i know you've pretty much fixed up your party there and this has nothing to do with anything ... but could you check out my party!!!

Drow Fighter 4/ Rogue 10
    Aasimar Fighter 1 / Lorekeeper of Oghma 15
    Aasimar Fighter 4 / Paladin of Helm 13
    Drow Diviner 16
    Drow Sorcerer 16
    Drow Soceress 16

Now i know what you're thinking ... What kind of party is that??!!! Yes i know, it doesn't appear very good does it, but actually i find it pretty god damn powerful believe it or not. I don't really know what I'm doing with this rogue, a mistake you think?

I'm planning to dual the sorcerer to a bard at level 19 ... don't worry, I don't really care that I did it the other way around! I just thought that two OTHER arcane spellcasters would be enough and i just wanted a change! The sorcerer will get a level of Paladin in there somewhere as well eventually.

As for the Paladin and Cleric, i think they're fine as they are because they don't seem to want to die! And to all who are looking at my extremely weird party don't worry, I'm aware of the XP penalities. What do people think about this party. The amount of pure arcane spellcasters is quite insane ... but I think I only got killed less than 10 times throughout the game which doesnt include all the constant bugs i had to reload with (stupid non-patch version). You might think 3 arcanes would be pointless and weak but seriously, nothing even gets near 'em!

I just started HoF and I'm doing quite well, all superior weapons and stats and such, but what do you think? And how do you think it compares to your party Klorox? Oh yeah, I would like SOME constructive criticism, please just remember this is an experimental party, as i got bored with my other party! Thankyou :D !

13. Klorox

Re: Goon66: A Cleric of Bane can be LN.

Re: Sebastian II: I don't like more than 3 levels of Rogue for your first character, but I'm not impressed with the Thief only skills. If you are, go for it man!

I like all the other characters, although they're really not my style. Question, why have you chosen all races to have an ECL penalty? Also, why do you take on an additional XP penalty by doing these strange multiclasses with characters 1 and 2? I think you'd be better off with character 1 as a Human, Dwarf, Halfling, or Tiefling and character 2 as a Human, Dwarf, or Drow Female to avoid XP penalties.

14. Goon66 Gems: 6/31

LN isnt evil bout would still get me affected by holy word without even giving me immunity to blasphemy :(

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Yeah I know Klorox ... it's really strange eh, but i guess i did want somthing a little different. How do you think it compares up to your party? Oh yeah, I basically chose those classes because of the stat increases and basically for the others I just like Drow i guess!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.