1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jaheira's age

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Apophis2412, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Apophis2412 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This might be a stupid question, but how old is Jaheira anyway. I've never played BG1, but in BG2 she is described as being an old friend of Gorion.

She is also a half-elf.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No specific age is given. I'm guessing she is equivelent mid-thirties, so perhaps forty/fifty something actual years of age.

Only 'specific' ages are given for the PC and Imoen which is "around 20" at the start of the campaign. (That is regardless of race)

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    A lady shouldn't get asked that question? :p

Especially not Jaheira...

(On a serious note - no idea.)

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember clearly but there was something about Tethyr so maybe if someone can find a chronology and work how many years elapsed between the troubles in Tethyr and the beginning of Baldur's Gate that could help.

One thing is certain, Jaheira is much older than the Bhaalspawn. Half elves age slower than humans so it's a safe bet that she must at least be twice the age of the Bhaalspawn (mid thirties is really young for a half elf especially in 2E). Does anyone have the rulebook at hand? :)

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think I was reading somewhere the "troubles in Tethyr" occurred about 20-25 years before BG1. She was very young then (perhaps 10 or 15).

6. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    So it's true! In BG II, you CAN go cougar hunting! :p

7. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks T2Bruno. That means that her age should range between 30 and 40? That's a bit young for a half elf and I'm more inclined to go for 40 (and even 40 something) given her background (being away on Harper business, travelling with Gorion, taking vacations in Amn and stuff).

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Half elves live to over 150, but not to 200. Middle age should be around 80. I believe the starting age for adventuring is very close to a humans. So she could be as young as 30, but she sounds older (but then I've knew women who were as bossy as her in college).

9. Apophis2412 Gems: 1/31

Aerie and Viconia are also much, much older than the Bhaalspawn.
    Aerie is probably somewhere between 60-100. Viconia could be as old as 200.

Another question: I know elves only become mature or adult when they reach the age of 120. The Bhaalspawn was only 20 years old at the beginning of BG1. So if he is an elf, is he still a young child?

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Bhaalspawn apears to age at a human rate - I myself presumed that Bhaal wanted his offspring to mature quicker, then they could kill each other quicker and get old and die quicker fuelling his rebirth - after all the person who is going to do the ritual to bring him back is human and won't live that long.

Also Aerie mentions she is older than Viconia, Drow age quicker and have shorter life spans than other elves. So while numerically they are younger, comparatively she is probably older.

11. Apophis2412 Gems: 1/31

Aerie says she is older than Jaheira, not Viconia.

JAHEIRA: Oh, come now, child. I have been listening to your simpering for quite some time, and it begins to grate on the nerves. You are in this group to help, as I recall... so pull yourself together! (JAHEIRF7)
    AERIE: I am *not* your child! I'm older than you are, more than likely! And... and the only thing my 'simpering' does is distract you from those little looks you are always giving him! (AERIEE3)
    (LT17)

Also, the FR wiki says that Drow live as long as most elves.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drow

And most online sources I can find say that Avariel only reach 300-600.

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] That's also a 4th edition wiki. I have the 3rd edition books here and a couple of the 2nd edition ones as well.

It's been a while since I've checked the dialogues, must have got mixed up.

13. Apophis2412 Gems: 1/31

I forgot BG was Sedcond Edition.

So how old do Avariel and Drow get, according to second edition?

14. Caradhras

Media:
    There are some major differences between 2E and 4E, I think Drows in 2E have a shorter lifespan than regular elves so 200 years would already be mature.

@T2Bruno: Jaheira was certainly bossy when she was a teenager. ;)

15. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think I personally ever owned the Forgotten Realms campaign book (it was owned by a friend and we all shared the various campaign books), but this is what the core 2E rulebook says:

Code:

Starting Age          Maximum Age Range
    Race       Base Age    Variable   (Base+Variable)
    Dwarf      40          5d6       250+2d100
    Elf        100         5d6       350+4d100
    Gnome      60          3d12      200+3d100
    Half-elf   15          1d6       125+3d20
    Halfling   20          3d4       100+1d100
    Human      15          1d4       90+2d20

Please note that this table is taken from the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook, which is the core rulebook, not the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting rulebook. I don't recall if there were different age rules for the different subraces of Elves in the FRCS, and the Avariel are only found in the Forgotten Realm Campaign books, which I don't have available. Dark Elves are mentioned in the core rulebook, but only briefly as they aren't considered a playable race.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Caradhras likes this.
  16. Caradhras

Media:
    Thanks SlickRCBD, I couldn't find the exact reference anywhere (and I know I should have it somewhere). That helps clearing things a bit. Much appreciated! ;)

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Slick, if you need to set up something in a neat table, you can use the
    Code:
     tags to display multiple successive blanks and have all characters be the same width:

[code]This   is   an   example
    1      2    3    4
    5      6    7    8

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll try to remember that. I thought the list button might be the thing to use, but it seems to be only one dimensional. Is there a subforum here where I could post a test message to see how the various buttons format text where I won't annoy anybody with a meaningless post? I don't see anything mentioned on the descriptions, and I really don't feel like checking every single forum on this site.

19. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you want to test it, use the reply button, or the Go Advanced button underneath the quick reply window and type your message, then use Preview Post to see the effect. If you don't like it, you can always just click anything other than Submit Reply to not bother anyone else with it.

20. Al the Dumb Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

The complete book of elves gives the ages of elves thusly Demihumans of the Realms and the FR Boxed set confirm this:

Code:
    Aquat.1-59 60-99 100-159	160-219	220-299	300+	300+3d100
    Avariel  1-49	50-79	 80-149	140-189	190-224	225+	225+3d100
    Drow	        1-49	50-79	 80-139	140-189	190-224	225+	225+3d100
    Grey	 1-79	80-119	120-209	210-299	300-424	425+	425+5d100
    High	1-74	75-109	110-174	175-249	250-349	350+	350+4d100
    Childhood, adolescence, adulthood, middle age, old age, venerable age, maximum age respectively.

So Aerie would probably be older than Jaheira but possibly younger than Viconia.

I apologize to Montresor and hope for the love of god he will forgive me, ;) but I understood almost nothing of what he told Slick.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.