1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jail cells, not pillories

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Oaz, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you've noticed, most people who get an Idiot of the Week or Grammatical Moron of the Week avatar don't tend to stick much longer around here after they've gotten the "shame" avatars. I'm wondering if we can reprimand those who repeatedly break the SP rules, but still keep people on the Boards should they break rules.

Current Form
    -Poster is an idiot/grammatical moron.
    -Poster is reprimanded by Taluntain or BTA.
    -Poster continues to be an idiot/grammatical moron.
    -Poster receives "shame" avatar.
    -Poster usually is not seen around for some time anymore

My beef with this is that people who've been "shamed" seem to get scared off because they've been reprimanded over and over for their errors; other posters keep criticizing them over and over again. I'm not saying the "shame" avatar system is wrong; people who get those deserve to, but maybe there can be less humiliation of getting that avatar.

Proposed Sytem
    -Poster is an idiot/grammatical moron
    -Poster is reprimanded by Taluntain or BTA.
    -Poster continues to be an idiot/grammatical moron.
    -An administrator or moderator "locks down" the poster so he/she can't speak for a few days. (Number of days judged by degree of idiocy) The administrator/moderator PMs or e-mails the poster why he/she has been "locked down".
    -On his profile, it says, "This person has been locked down for breaking SP Rules repeatedly."
    -Person may stay, because no one knows he's been "shamed", unless his/her profile is checked.

I'm thinking that less people might get embarrassed by this proposed system, and they might not start getting things against the administrators or moderators. Maybe this will just confine the "shame" from open humiliation to just knowing that one should reform his/her ways.

So jail cells, where only the idiot is directly aware of his/her "shame", may have an advantage over pillories, where the offender is openly shamed. People may investigate to see whether he/she has gotten a reprimand, but the idiot is not forced to present to the world while he/she posts, "I am the Idiot of the Week, look at me!"

[ September 04, 2002, 02:55: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I dunno. I rather enjoy the humiliation of others. Maybe we could make the shame even deeper...it's too bad we don't know everyone's personal details, that way we could really rub their nose in it. We could ridicule their physical appearance or social status or some such.

We should really mess them up emotionally. As long as I am above this rule, of course. :hahaerr:

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

C'Jakob:

You have a good idea. Increasing member useage == more cash for Tal == pays for server costs.

But, there's a fine line. And that line SUCKS!

Granted, there are some arabs (doubtful, but I'll give them the benefit), Croatians, Hebrews, Russkies, and Mexicans for whom English is a second/third language. This people need a push in the right direction, without stiffling them. This makes them happy.

But then, you've got 13 year olds who are either bored with school, or do not receive enough parental supervision. Some of these 13yrolds are actually 29, but their appearance modifer gives them the necessary -16.

Tal made the call a while back when it was getting bad. Nuke'em and forget about it. I can't really blame him; there's a good chance I'd have done the same.

4. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Your idea is good but some might be annoyed by this and leave!

Hmmmmmmm, we need to figure out a action against idiocity but without annoying anyone.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're forgetting something... Only people in English-speaking countries can get the GMOTW plaque. Others just get told off. I certainly can't blame people whose native tongue is not English for not knowing it very well.

Anyway, the proposed lockdown would be even worse IMO. They'd think they're permanently banned and wouldn't come back. At least as it is now, they're free to still post if they want to. It's been proven over the months that hardly any IOTW or GMOTW is able to change their ways enough to be allowed to stay, so there's really no point. If they didn't leave (since in 99% of cases, the plaques don't help their behaviour), they'd be removed anyway. The end result is the same in both cases.

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I love the plaques. When I see one, I usually look for the offending post. It is great fun.
    It also seems pretty fair. You get fair warning before being crowned, so if it happens, whose to blame?

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmm from personal experience (having got the IOTW nearly a year ago) the plaques still give you the chance to post and then so long as you're not an idiot again then you can stay and post normally. When i got it i knew i'd gone too far and at that point i tried to 180 and stop being an idiot and actually post with some point. If i'd been banned or as you say locked-down for a period of days i would pobably have just left and not come back. The system as it is at least gives the chance to change and learn the errors of your ways.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

In retrospect, the current system is best as it is.

People who get the IOTW and get banned deserve to get so. Locking them down would probably just encourage them to a greater extent. However, I would think that IOTW does "scare" some people off, but then again, people can reform, as was the case with Lazy Bonzo.

So screw my system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.