1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jon Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 1...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Rellik, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Rellik Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] In case you havent found out about this fun easter egg involving Jon Irenicus, here's how it works.

Go to the cloakwood forest and charm Centeol, the fat spider queen. Talk to her and she will mention a powerful wizard called "Jon Icarus" who cursed her. Check the journal entry after the conversation and it actually mentions "a sequel" in it.

Try charming other NPCs for more interesting fun. Try the flaming fist soldier who accuses you of being a bandit near the start of the game, or Taugosz Khosann and Ardenor Crush in the bandit camp and enjoy.

Anyone else know of a fun easter egg like that?

[This message has been edited by Rellik (edited January 08, 2002).]

2. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Heh, I never noticed that. It's interesting finding those hidden relations between the games.

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I thought it was the same guy in the beginning as well, but then I saw that his name was Jon ICARUS, not Irenicus. :( But I never bothered to read the journal. Could you please write the entire entry? As I don't play BG1 right now I will have a hard time finding out.

[This message has been edited by Firestorm (edited January 08, 2002).]

4. Rellik Gems: 1/31

Here it is:
    Maybe "Icarus" was a copyrighted name somewhere else so they had to use "Irenicus" instead. I think "Icarus" is an ISP or something.
    Edit: Icarus and Irenicus are spelled and pronounced too much alike to be a simple coincidence. Plus they are both Jon, and a powerful mage.

[This message has been edited by Rellik (edited January 08, 2002).]

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well, I'm sure Jon have done some bad things in the past. :)

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Great find Rellik. I will have to try charming more creatures.

7. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

LOL that is funney I dont normaly go looking for easter eggs Maybe I'll start

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The head of JOn indeed looks a bit like an eastern egg.. Does anyone know any other people that possibly would be great to charm?

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Hmm, I can't think of any off the top of my head since I haven't played BG1 in such a long time...

Well Algeron's Cloak has practically unlimited charges so just save first, charm, read funny dialog and reload...

In Bergost I remember charming that women who has her Flaming Fist husband come in and attack you if you talk to her multiple times and the dialog was quite funny but I don't remember specifics.

10. Rellik Gems: 1/31

ah you mean the one in the mansion where she calls her husband who looks like a beggar when he attacks you? I remember charming her to move her while i robber her house but i didnt charm her after her husband walked in

11. Lord Sarevok Guest

Nah, in Bergost not Nashkel. She's in one of the houses there and her husband(who's in the flaming fist) shows up and attacks you if you talk to her reapidily. Best bet is to run for it, since if you kill him you lose mega reputation. Or you could of course, charm him. I think that's what I did and how I remember.

12. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

If you know your legends, Icarus was the son of Daedalus (SP?). They tried to escape a labryinth after an evil king had trapped them in, but Icarus, using Daedalus' wax wings, melted when he flew over the walls of the maze but too close to the sun's heat.

Does this have anything to do with Jon Irenicus? I don't know, probably not. Just a little tidbit of info!

13. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heh heh, that sounds pretty cool. I'll try that when i get to cloakwood.

14. Ubull Ravenhorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Just go around charming everyone...
    You will find funny stuffz have you tried taerom?

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I found that if you kill all the squirrels in a certain place one of them has the ioun stone of luck

Icarus and Irenicus could have a link, Irenicus is a fallen elf while Icarus has fallen into the sea

16. zaknafein Guest

If only Irenicus had have fallen into the sea, he would have been easier to kill that way. I just love charming things. Once I charmed half the xvart village and got them to kill each other.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] So you started a sort of 'Civil War' among the Xvartz? I remember charming the guy who was scared of paladins and taking him downstairs - when the spell wore off he saw th paladin guy and ran out the pub screaming

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Wow, what an awesome find.

[Please don't resurrect topics long dead only to submit a pointless comment. See the forum rules you agreed to follow upon registration.] -Tal

[ November 17, 2003, 11:43: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

19. Nesh Gems: 1/31

Jon Icarus was the original name for Irenicus. They changed Icarus to Irenicus , thankfully. Also Yoshimo from BG2 was suposed written in to be Tomako`s brother. They planned him to betray he PC as an act of revenge. That was changed also into some Geas stuff. I read this in some interview I think. Will post the link if I dig it up again.

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

There's a mod that takes you through that whole Yoshi thing.

Damn, I forget the name. Unfinished Business?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.