1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kelemvor necromancers & rangers?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Eyebreaker7, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    His clerics sometimes dual class to necromancers or rangers. Kind of a strange mix don't you think? :nuts:

page 244 = Forgotten realms campaign setting. :tobattle:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Strange in what way?

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It just seems like 2 opposing classes. Like they would be against one and the other. On one end we have the necromancer that corrupts the nature of things. On the other end we have the ranger which is about preserving life and nature. Just seems opposites to me is all.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kelemvor finds the undead to be abominations. A Ranger with a racial enemy of undead makes sense, so does a Necromancer that uses their powers to control and destroy the undead.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I've never heard of a necromancer destroying undead?? If Kel dislikes undead so much why would he want anyone under his name to control undead either?

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I guess you've never met a Necromancer of Kelemvor's ;)

Look, I don't think it's so hard to picture. Say you're a Cleric of Kelemvor and you appreciate your god's hatred for undead so you decide to study Necromancy to better understand the enemy. There are plenty of mage spells that are good for destroying undead. I mean, just one example of a spell from the Necromancy school itself is Undead-Slayer.

And as far as control: Maybe you want to prevent the undead from doing their evil deeds?

Like I said, not so hard to picture scenarios.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Necromancer of Kelemvor's? Unfortunately not. I don't get to play anymore. Is the Kel necro from 3.5? That's the version we played back when I was still with the group. I've never heard of a spell named "Undead-Slayer"? What source is that from?

Thanks for explaining it to me. It makes sense now.
    Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I was merely trying to understand.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Not at all; no ruffled feathers here :) And I was just joking about a Necromancer of Kelemvor (note the smilie-wink).

I just found that spell here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Necromancy_Spells It's apparently from 3E, but I didn't see it in the Player's Handbook; I did however see the Necromancy spell Undeath to Death in the PH which is another good one for destroying undead.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Ok cool. I suffer from depression and paranoia among other things so I guess my paranoia kicked in a little :o You'd think that by the age of 46 I wouldn't have such problems. :banana:

A necromancer of Kelemvor sounded like it was real, and cool, since it says his clerics sometimes multiclass as necromancers.
    It also says "sometimes multiclass as necromancers or rangers using their knowledge to hunt down and destroy undead." So if I had finished reading that part :book: I would have known why and never would have even asked. lol.

Wow! That's a crap ton of necro spells. Thanks for the link. Going to give me something to do, read, for a while :1eye:
    The spell Undeath to Death looks like a 3.x version of death spell maybe??

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Undeath to Death was in my 3.5E PH and kills some number of HD of undead.

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Not all necromancers are evil, undead-spawning psychotics. Necromancy, by definition, is the art of communing with the dead. Kelemvor is the god of Death and so it makes sense that a class specializing in death and decay would be a favored choice by his followers. Also, in most systems (3rd edition D&D being an exception), healing spells fall under necromancy and not conjuration.

Rangers make less sense, but I suppose if you can't be a paladin (which has a hard entry in most systems), a ranger might be a logical choice for an undead hunter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.