1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Draconis

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by David, Jul 12, 2001.

1. David Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmmm got any ideas on how to kill Draconis i tried cloud kill got him hurt badly, but he just heals himself ?

thanks for your help.

2. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This is how I did it-- and it worked really well...

I sent my main character (a level 29 kensai) at him alone. My man killed all his invisible stalkers (or whatever) while draconis the mage wasted all his spells on me (I was unfazed)..

then I had aerie/imoen breach and ruby ray him--then the chopping began.

Just after I chopped up his mage form, I prepared my main,valgar and minsc with hardiness/greater whirlwind. then, when he became a dragon, I ruby ray'd/breached him and set about assaulting him with my three fighters. He went down rather easily.

3. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Interesting. I've been to numerous boards and noone has posted that Draconis goes down 'easily' before. Best kudo's to you if that is the case.

Draconis is the most annoying, cowardly and powerful Dragon in the game I think. His 50 slots of Improved Invisibility alone is enraging. Not to mention his legion of invisible stalkers that he can summon.

I suggest having several True Sights, Pierce Magic's, Breach's, Improved haste's and either (or both) Mordekainen's Sword or the unstoppable Planetar! The only drag is you can only summon one Planetar/Deva at a time, two are not allowed as I'm sure you are aware.

The Mage form of Draconis can go down significantly quicker than his Dragon form. His mage form stands and goes toe to toe. His Dragon form is all over the map, hiding, summoning, healing etc. His Dragon Breath is the most powerful that I've come across. It can do 100pts plus without a hitch so have good protections as well.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited July 12, 2001).]

4. David Gems: 1/31

hmm i tried both of your guys suggestions but the only problem was neither worked all the breach speels bounced off of him and i didnt even have enugh time to cast ruby spell.HE keeps making my team freak out and i have no control over them and goes after everyone and kills them and well im runing out of options?

5. Mohag Gems: 1/31

I've found that the simple approach seems to work best on the dragons in ToB. Every time I try to set up something elaborate, it fails. I suggest the following: Whirlwind attacks by (insert name of your tank here), Minsc (and Boo), and Korgon. Planetar, and elemental support for the summoned creatures. Bolts of Glory from your cleric. Ruby Rays, etc. from your back row types. With a handful of healing potions I haven't had to try a dragon battle more than twice.

6. Elebereth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I actually found Draconis easy.

I had Minsc and Saravoek(sp) hack at him until he changed into a dragon. Then my Sorcerer casted Improved Aclarity and Timestop, lowered his magic resistance with Pierce Magic.

And then pounded him with one or two Comets and a few Horrid Wiltings and he was near death, one more Horrid Wilting and he was toast.

7. David Gems: 1/31

Well i did it i killed him yahoooo! it was funny what happend too.He attacked me and i moved my entire party to the far left part of the screen far away form him then i waitied like 2 minutes it seems he wont move from his previous spot.Lol so i took my mage and cast cloud kill 8 times BaaAAAMmmmm ! hes dead heheheheehhehe

sorry im just so happpy i wanted to tell u all and thanks for all your help.

8. cotman68 Gems: 6/31

""Interesting. I've been to numerous boards and noone has posted that Draconis goes down 'easily' before. Best kudo's to you if that is the case.""

well, I wasn't bragging. I am actually quite terrible at this game. I read about how tough this guy was and I was prepared to reload about 50 times as usually. but, he DID go down easily. It rather shocked me. I guess my level 29 kensai with 25% magic resistance got lucky, because I didn't:
    1. reload once OR

2. use ANY summoned monsters

9. fuoco Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

OMG draconis is the HARDEST foe i ever fought. kang is like a pesky fly compared to him. IMO the worst part about him is when he's in the human mage/monk form (i thought monks cannot dual !!!!!). Not only does he cast irritating abis but he also cast timestop and get 6 free turns to beat the daylights out of my fighter(s). His dragon form is relatively easier if you get help from gate friends, devas and elemental princes. :D

[This message has been edited by fuoco (edited August 15, 2001).]

10. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What I did was split my party and send my magic users up the left and my fighters up the right then attack with the fighters and he'll leave your magic users alone. If you can get feeblemind to hit him he's toast.

11. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

last time i fought drac 1 of my fighters was dead.. another spelless, finally in desperation i cast bolt of glory from both aerie and viconia.. and he fell, i was shocked the say the least.. if he had a chance to cast heal again i would have been screwed. but he was badly injured when both viconia and aerie cast those spells..

12. fuoco Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

By the way Capt. Tripps, what good does feeblemind spell do? it lowers the intelligence of the target so i assume it makes the target forget higher level spells? I've never copied this spell into my spell book before :p

13. The Shadow Gems: 1/31

The mage form of draconis I found easy but after losing to the draconis in his dragon form. so I laid some trapps far away then killed his human form and lured him towards the trapps after and the finished him off with my monk with an AC of -17.

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

directions:
    1) khelbens warding, lower magic resistance, breach (or pierce magic) - depending on sequencer
    2) true sight when needed
    3) smack down
    4) resist fear occassionally

repeat if necessary

15. cotman68 Gems: 6/31

this post really demonstrates something to me: fighting dragons frequently involves luck. When I fought draconis, my kensai, alone, was able to defeat his human form. no tricks or summoned creatures. Then, when he switched to dragon, I was ready with 3 fighters who had very low THAC0 and 2 mages continuously casting breach, etc.

I had absolutely no problem

Abzigal, on the other hand, gave me fits. I still don't know why. When he went to dragon,, there was a 5-10 sec period in which he seemed to disable all my fighters and he then proceeded to chew up my mages. it was incredible. I finnaly killed him with some luck.. after several reloads.

replaying SoA, I am noticing the same thing. When I went through the game the first time, I had a party of Kensai, minsc, val, aeerie, imoen and jah. I attacked the red and shadow dragons after the underdark and they still gave me HUGE HUGE problems. then irenicus' black dragon went down in seconds... very easily

Now, I am playing it with a monk + jan + vic + hal d. Red and shadow went down with a mere warding whip and my monk solo-beating them to pulp. But the black dragon kicked my butt about 10 times. even with multiple summoned monsters...

odd.............It would be very intersting to see how Black Isle programmed the AI of the various monsters

16. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I agree. It amazes me how different peoples experiences are.

I used similar tactic on Draconis, main character attacks human form, tanks + main attack dragon with much breach magic being applied.

I spent the better part of an evening trying to kill him. Then I got to Abazigal and found him to be quite easy.

17. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Re Feeblemind:

If you can actually get the dragon to fail his save (spell trigger, 3x lower resistance, greater malison), Feeblemind works wonders. If it does manage to affect him, he'll just stand there and let you whack him to death. Getting it to work is the problem.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My key to beat up that bastard was Keldorn: His dispell magic and true sight allowed me to hit this beast. When Draconis casted invisibility, Keldorn and my halfling cavalier apporached. Keldorn made it visible again and my guarding archers (Minsc/ Mazzy/ Jaheira (sling)) immediately opened fire while Imoen held the magical defences down. That way we ran around for a while and the dragon was dead soon.

19. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, I just tried to get this guy and failed miserably, although I did get him down to "almost dead". I'll try again and be sure to use my resources better. Its a tough one.

20. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Well, if you have a high-level Mage or Sorcerer, you could cast Timestop followed by Improved Alacrity and just blast the crap out of him with Lower Resists and Abi-Dalzim's. Otherwise, load some Lower Resists into a Spell Trigger, fire them off, and keep it up with Chain Lightnings or Lightnings. Also, I've found that Skull Traps work miraculously well on most tough enemies, for a low level spell.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.