1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)
  1. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Will POR have the same kits as BG2, or will it stick with the basic class system?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    PoR is a D&D 3rd edition game.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Vinadri Gems: 1/31

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor will not contain any kits because kits in the capacity you are thinking of do not exist in 3rd edtion. The closest thing would be prestige classes, which Pool of Radiance is not supporting.

-Scott Battaglia
    vinadri@rpgplanet.com
    http://www.rpgplanet.com/poolofradiance/

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Forgive me if this is old-news, but . . .

I just went to http://www.rpgplanet.com/poolofradiance/

On the left, under Volo's Corner is a link to Character Generator.

It walks you through the way characters will be created -- and IMHO it really sucks!

The set all your stats 8 (+ racial modifier). You then have 25 points to distrubute, but it takes 2 points to raise a stat 1 point from 15-16, and 3 points / 1 increase to 17 -18.

I'm guessing stats will go up with levels or something.

One cool feature is that you can choose "Feats" like Blind Fighting, Combat Reflexes or (my favorite) Cleave!

You also get skills, starting with basics like Heal, listen, search, etc. . .

WIth these features, you won't really need kits. If you pick a personality for your character, the feats and skills will match appropriately.

Looking forward to all the future conversations about which feat is best, and if people who choose half-orc barbarians with Cleave are powergamers!

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited April 30, 2001).]

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mathetais - The choosing of the stats that you outlined is the Standard Point Buy system straight from the 3E Dungeon Masters Guide. And since PoR is 3E game, you should get a point every 4 levels to add to any one of your stats.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 30, 2001).]

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sorry for my ignorance BTA!

The last time I played p&p AD&D, they were just rolling out 2nd Edition! I still remember buying Basic D&D in a box (where every elf was a fighter-magic user IIRC).

8. Vinadri Gems: 1/31

The point system is used for a couple reasons: balanced characters (especially for multiplayer) and it eliminates the lets roll for 7 hours because due to probability, one of these times I will get all 18's :)

Per 3e rules, every four levels you will get to raise a stat by one point (i.e. 17 to 18). Because you can have a total 0f 32 levels (only 16 in any one class) the potential is for 8 more points. *If* you get to 32...muuahhhh :)

Just a note that for copyright reasons there are some differences between our character generator and the one in the game (namly dealing with skills and feats). GameBanshee ( http://www.gamebanshee.com/poolofradiance/ ) has a nice screenshot walkthrough of generating a character.

BTW, I do use a Half Orc Barbarian with a cleave feat :)

[Fixed the link - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 30, 2001).]

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Thanks! I'd love to walk through a party of kobalds with the Cleave feat! You'd probably get 3-6 per swing!!!

Now that it's been explained to me, I guess I can live with the character generator (not that I'll have a choice ;) ) It's probably more realistic, not every 1st level fighter looks like Arnold Schwartzenager, thinks like Einstien and talks like Billy Graham!

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Hehehe! Don't get too excited about the Cleave feat; you can only use it once (meaning against one creature) per round.

11. Vinadri Gems: 1/31

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yes, the Cleave feat allows you to attack another creature within reach if the attack you just made on a creature lowers its HP below zero. Your extra attack gets all the same bonuses as the original attack. You can only use it once per round however.

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Read any Conan book and you'll see Cleave in action! He would chop through the torso of a Pic, and the momentum of the swing would take the arm off a second.

Question: Will we be ablt to pick our feats, or are they assigned to us? (Again my 3rd ED knowledge limits me horribly!!!)

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    In 3E you get to pick your feats. In PoR my understanding is they're chosen/assigned for you.

15. Vinadri Gems: 1/31

As stated before in PoR they are assigned because the game switched over from a 2nd edition game to a 3e game kind of late :)

16. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Heh. No kits right?

What are you lot going on about?!

Sorry, i only know the basics.

17. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Death to the Kits...Yeah...I'm not a real fan of 3e P&P but for a video game it seems like it might run better...Simpler!!!

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited May 03, 2001).]

18. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Hope I'm not going to spend Ur pleasure or to show arrogant, but I think that U all have visited http://www.poolofradiance.com/ and everything there is explained. If not, U might choose to have a look.

19. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

BTW, what do U think about the "half orc male paladin" ? IINM, anly humans could have been paladins in 2E

[Dragonsnake - In the future rather than posting a new post right after an old one of yours, use the pen and paper icon above your post to edit the old post please... BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 04, 2001).]

20. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think a half orc paladin is completely ridiculous, almost as much as a halfling paladin ;) Incidently, I've actually been doing a little light D&D reading lately (yeah I'm suprised too, what of it? ;)), and I honestly don't mind the kits being thrown out that much as long as I could have a prestige class (something PoR doesn't support I believe :() I don't know alot about them, but the few I've seen look very nice. Hopefully WotC will add more in the future, as I do think they at least help out a character looking to be something unique when we can't use kits.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.