1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Last Week's Poll Results

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 3, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

What we asked:

Q: Which do you think is the coolest new monster we will see in Throne of Bhaal?
    (476 votes total)

Blue & Purple Dragon (133) 28%
    Demogorgon (114) 24%
    Succubus (69) 14%
    Solar/Planatar (56) 12%
    Undead Beholder (32) 7%
    Baatezu (27) 6%
    Fire Giant (16) 3%
    Hive Mother (12) 3%
    Magic Golem (11) 2%
    Water Weird (6) 1%

Don't you just *hate* power outages when you're working on a computer? Well, it happened to me when I was making the comments to this poll. Of course, I didn't bother to save the thing in the process, so I lost the whole lot.

If you still don't know what some of the new monsters in the poll are, run a search for them in Yahoo for a plethora of relevant results. (I'm doing this because I've received a couple of mails asking me to explain what some of the monsters like the water weird are.)

Anyway, the new dragons we will see in Throne of Bhaal (blue and purple) are still the most anticipated adversaries with 28% of votes. I think I don't need to explain what dragons are. ;)

Second place goes to the Demogorgon, the Prince of Demons.

It is contended by some that this demon prince is supreme. His hatred for Orcus is immense and unending, followed closely by his hatred for Graz'zt. (Two other demon lords).
    Demogorgon appears as an 18-foot tall reptilian-humanoid. He has two heads that bear the visages of baboons. His blue-green skin is plated with snake-like scales, his body and legs are those of a giant lizard, his twin necks resemble snakes, and his thick tail is forked. In place of arms, he has two huge tentacles.

Demogorgon attacks first using his gaze weapons and should any survive the onslaught, he will utilize his tentacles, tail, and bites. He uses his spells and spell-like abilities liberally in combat, and should the combat go against him, he will summon demons to cover his escape. This impressive monster got 24% of votes.

Third coolest monster on the list is the Succubus with 14% of votes. Since it is a rather common monster and most people have seen one in Diablo (if not in Planescape: Torment), I won't bother with more elaborate descriptions.

Next is the Solar/Planatar with 12% of votes. The Planatar (similar to a Solar) is a powerful, extra-dimensional creature that resembles a biblical angel. It possesses excellent melee combat abilities as well as a powerful spellbook and intelligence enough to heal a comrade when they are stricken.

Fifth place on the popularity list goes to the Undead Beholder. 7% of people think that will be the coolest new monster. This is a pretty common sort of beholder, so I won't go into lengthier descriptions. Just imagine an even more disgusting, green, rotting, floating orb and you're there.

In the 6th place with 6% of votes (heh) are the Baatezu. Abishai, Barbazu, Erinyes and a couple of others all fall in this category. If you have played Planescape: Torment, you know them well.

In seventh place with 3% of votes is the Fire Giant, closely followed by the Hive Mother, also at 3%. Fire Giants are nothing really new (we've seen them in Icewind Dale), but in ToB they will have an important part in the story, and they will use a totally different model and animations.

Hive Mother is, in short, a very powerful beholder, usually surrounded by a group of a bit less powerful ones. Like the undead one, nothing to get too excited about, since they will most likely use the same model and animations as the normal ones. (Except for a bit of change in colour.)

In the 9th place with 2% of votes is the Magic Golem. Thought to be the horrible mutation of unfortunate mages trapped in wild magic zones, the rare magic golem appears as a glowing yellow humanoid form. Composed of pure magical energy, the magic golem subsists by absorbing magic in all its forms.

Spells cast at these fearsome creatures, as well as magical effects and magically charged items coming within too close to the golem’s aura, are instantly and completely absorbed. Unlike the brutish physical attacks of most other constructs, magic golems attack by unleashing a devastating beam of pure energy. The range of the golem’s blast is such that few who encounter these terrible entities are able to escape before being obliterated by the lethal beams.

Coming in last in 10th place with 1% of votes is the Water Weird. Which is probably one monster practically no one had a clue as to what it is, so here goes:
    The water weird is a life form that has its origins on the Elemental Plane of Water. They attack all living things, draining their life’s essence as the victim lies dying.
    The water weird takes but two rounds to form from the body of water it inhabits. It appears as a large serpent constructed entirely of water.
    In combat, the water weird lashes out, attempting to wrap itself around its prey, dragging it into the water where the weird attempts to drown it.

- Current Poll
    - Previous Polls

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.