1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Latest Poll Results - Skimpy Female Garments/Armour in CRPGs

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What we asked:

Q: Do skimpy garments/armour many women in CRPGs often wear ever bother you?
    (689 votes total)

No, I think there should be more of it! (294) 43%
    No, never (125) 18%
    Yes, occasionally (117) 17%
    Yes, but rarely (77) 11%
    Yes, frequently (76) 11%

Talk about embarrassing poll results... it is quite clear from the results that the wide majority of our visitors are not bothered by the skimpy garments or armour many women in CRPGs often wear. 43% of those who voted even think there should be more of it, while 18% of poll participants are never bothered by the frequently ridiculous women wear (armour with so many revealing gaps that it's about as useful as a shield with a big hole in the middle, etc.) at all. I guess given the results we're lucky that every CRPG female isn't running around in a chainmail bikini...

Of the people who are bothered by the portrayal of women in CRPGs, 17% are bothered by it occasionally, 11% rarely, and another 11% frequently.

» Current Poll
    » Previous Polls

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

:heh: I remember what it was like to be 13... :shake:

But now I'm old & cranky, I find it more of an annoyance. :geezer: I don't want to be playing a game only to have any onlooker spouting some sarcastic comments because a female character looks better equipped for an episode of Baywatch than combat.

Although my housemates would probably fall into category 1, and they're all older than me (O.K., so not by much). One of them even used to watch me playing KotOR because he fancied Bastila. :lol: :nuts:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ah well, computer games are just another form of entertainment like movies and TV. No reason why they should be any more or less realistic than those media. Xena: Warrior Princess, anyone?

PS: I'm not embarrassed to admit that I voted for the "more of it" option. :p

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Same here. :D What's the big deal about a little eye-candy when you're playing a game where it doesn't matter? The same standard should of course be applied to male avatars, but it's hard to accentuate something that's missing without forgoing armor completely. Maybe someday somebody will figure it out, and on that day I'll be glad for the gamer gals, but for now we're just stuck with the double standard.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well, maybe there could just be the Tarzan character. Loin clothes all around. :hahaerr:

But really, it's just a game. I don't mind either way.

6. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Maybe the wizards of the coast should come up with some kind of Glass Armor, good protection and good view, both parties happy :)

7. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Am I the only one who thinks the Human Mage Female avatar in Baldur's Gate II is dead sexy?

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I don't really notice it anymore.

Though Apeman's example is a tad extreme imho. And uncomfortable. Poor girls.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Realism above all. If it's protection, it has to protect. It doesn't protect if it doesn't cover. A "clingy" armour would just be a tad bit much, perhaps risque, but all that minimalistic stuff is just ridiculous. Oh, but I'm getting slightly carried. ;)

You know, I just appreciate the girl that dresses nicely but respectably. :)

11. Edithe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The armor is impractical on a realistic view but I have to admit having the full clad amour for female characters would give them less definition and would lessen the Varity you could make on a graphical view.

12. chevalier

Media:
    Less definition? Do women have to be defined by their ermm... sexual market value? Okay, it's nice to look on a beautiful female body and it's hard to think of something more beautiful than that. But those skimpy garments just look slutty. The characters couldn't look sluttier if they walked around in full nude.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

bah! if i'd seen the poll in time i'd have voted same as HB ;)

14. Edithe Gems: 1/31

Well being a female I have to say that yes some of it demeaning but then you have the others like some of the nwn amour although low at the front but still looks good, basically the issue is that in society today sex sells and that’s shown through anything you look at. It could be worst; what’s wrong with a female having a more defining amour?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nothing really, if women don't mind... but I imagine most women do.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In NWN, the female armour is mostly full body anyway. The dumb part is how the helmets cover the face and how cloaks don't seem to show up when you put them on.

I never have my NWN camera on close-up anyway so I would hardly ever be able to see the imact of skimpy armour anyway.

17. Sir Slayer Gems: 1/31

Hey, have you played the new Dungeon Siege II? Female armours there are quite realistic and very protective, without any gaps or such. And it looks HORRIBLE - girls there look like males with breasts. So yes, I want more skimpy armour !

18. Edithe Gems: 1/31

This is exactly why the female amour should be more define. Women have more voluptuous bodies then men, and yes the line has to been drawn somewhere, for example see through glass amour would just be wrong and perverted. It’s not like where in the 1600s where woman have to be covered from chin to toe in fabrics.

19. chevalier

Media:
    Har har har. Are you so ready to bet your lunch money on renaissance/baroque clothing styles? You'd be surprised. :shake:

But seriously, I don't quite get your point. I will freely grant that female bodies are more beautiful than male ones, but so far as voluptuous goes... a female body is attractive to males, a male one to females, so what's the deal? Male characters have stats, female ones have "defining armour"? ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.