1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let's Set The Record Straight

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by alex150, Apr 27, 2006.

1. alex150 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Right a few things need ironing out i think, i see a lot of posts with rumors and things regarding bg3 what i dont know is if, legitimatly this game is in development. Im all for this game happening, but would they really develop this game and not reveal a little more information, PC gamer is unreliable, and we have no real evidence this game is going to happen, can someone please give me the full story here

[ April 27, 2006, 15:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Vapourware at this point really... and will be so until we hear something about it again (which is just a matter of time).

3. alex150 Gems: 1/31

ok I just wanted to know if there was any serious news

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    None in quite some time.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

But what about previous news? I believe there was talk of it being a prequel...

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I heard sequel, with also some of the characters from BG2 appearing and perhaps offspring thereof or whatever. At any rate, it was supposed to be after BG2, not before BG1...

7. Taluntain

Media:
    The announcement said it was supposed to be a prequel. Anyway, just search for Baldur's Gate 3 in the news forum, or wade through the older posts in this forum, it's all there.

8. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Heh, prequel. It's difficult to wipe out all star wars similarities when using that term. We've already had the whole "Bhaal is my father" shocker- what now? The saga of how Bhaal became evil?

silly star wars...

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nah, a prequel is very doable.

It could be a storyline about rumors of a "special bhallspawn," or the prophecy of "the chosen one" that must be tracked down and protected (good parties), kept secret (neutral parties) or destroyed or corrupted (evil parties) by the PC and his merry band of adventurers. The chosen one, of course, grows up to be the PC raised in Candlekeep. One of the NPC's could be Gorion himself in his younger adventuring years as an active harper. The story could revolve around a group of harpers, or others who became harpers in the process of this quest. It would be interesting to see the origins of certain aspects of the original series - such as how Sarevok became so evil, and how the Gorion took up the calling and became the PC's foster father, despite living the life of an adventurer previously. Was it an order, an honor, or simply necessity to raise the child? This could be one of many story arcs within the new game.

That's just off the top of my head - but it just goes to show you how easily a workable plot and storyline can be created to fit as a "prequel" and still be interesting.

10. Caldera Gems: 1/31

*Slightly off topic, but a reply to Death Rabbit's post*

Does it need to be set that close to the original game?

Knights of the Old Republic was technically a "prequel" to Star Wars, but because it was set some 4000 years before Episode 1 it was free to follow the canon of the universe but still be creative and tell an incredible story (IMHO probably the best Bioware have done apart from the BG saga).

Is there any reason why a BG prequel couldn't be set a long time before the original saga, but still deal with the Bhaalspawn story?

I'm not commenting on your ideas (which are cool); I'm genuinely asking if it is possible or not as I don't know.

11. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

If Death Rabbit's post is anywhere near what this game is, it'll be a great story.

Caldera: If it's not Bhaalspawn related, it really shouldn't be part of the Baldur's Gate game, should it? I mean, there are many different games in the same setting, but BG has been synonymous with "Bhaalspawn."

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Perhaps something that sets up the events in the BG1 & BG2 areas. Something about Balduran's ship, or what drew Drizzt down to the Sword Coast. The growing power of the Five and Sarevok. The political intrigue that led to the leadership in various places at the time of the games. (BG and the Grand Dukes, the Iron Throne & Sarevok's "family", the Seven Suns & Jhasso, the Merchant's League & Aldeth Sashenstar, Athkatla & the Cowled Wizards, Trademeet & Logan Coprith, etc.) Maybe even the creation of the Ice Island or Spellhold. The possibilities are limitless.

13. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The could be prequel without using the Bhaal spawn saga. It could be based on Baldurian life or you could be the son of Baldurian, etc...

So many possibilities given it is a prequel and given the vast amount of information you collect through the BG series who knows what the game will entail.

You could end up being Jon E. when he was a young elf?

You could be a comrade of Baldurian.

You cold be a friend of Gorion,

Etc...

14. Caldera Gems: 1/31

My point was that it would be related to the story (I did mention that in my original post), but just not set *directly* before the original saga.

I was curious if there is an early history of Bhaal that could be explored, one that (eventually) leads to the BG Bhaalspawn plot, but uses completely new and fresh characters in a much earlier time.

I'm not saying it would work or even that it is a good idea :)

I was just curious after just playing Knights Of The Old Republic and being *really* impressed with the story.

15. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

For me, I'd want some serious Time of Troubles action! Gods everywhere!!!

I want to see Bhaal walkin' around spreading some of that progeny! Woo hoo!

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nice place Caldera. I always liked Suran.

The on topic comment is that the city of Baldurs gate will have had more adventures visiting than the occasional Bhaalspawn or his/her busy dad.

so forget Bhaal and make something new.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.