1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let's talk about difficulty - NOT HoF!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mr.Goodkat, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mr.Goodkat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey there,

when it comes to the difficulty slider I noticed something strange about IWD2. No one talks about it - it's like it doesn't even exist.

The only two relevant modes seem to be 'Normal' and 'HoF'. Why is that?

One thing in particular that I don't understand is that 'HoF' is widely considered to be *the* hardcore mode to play the game - an sentiment I cannot agree with.

Playing a regular game on 'Insane' difficulty is much harder than HoF(on 'Core' difficulty) imho, especially in the early levels and with smaller parties. In IWD2 this does not only double all damage you receive, monsters also get better statistics. They get a +10(!) to hit modifier for example making it virtually impossible to create an early game tank that only gets hit on natural 20s.

Is 'Insane' difficulty considered a broken/unfun mode and thus neglected?

My experience so far: Currently I'm playing with a party of four on 'Insane'. I have a dedicated DG tank which makes things considerably more manageable but the early game is still a pain. What bothers me the most is that you can't take most of the battles "straight-up" before your cleric gets 'Animate Dead' - kiting with ranged weapons is just way more efficient. The airship crash seems to be a breakthrough point at which the game becomes a lot easier and less annoying. Is the game just poorly balanced up until the crash?

TL;DR: Why do different difficulty levels get so little recognition even though they make such a huge difference in IWD2?(More than in any other D&D game that I know of)

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I'd say your assessment is pretty much spot on: The early parts of Normal mode are hard enough using Normal difficulty, adding Insane to the mix is almost like pulling hair. I've done it before, but I wouldn't consider it "fun" unless I'm in a masochist mode IRL. HOF mode gives your more goodies and more exp for the kills to counterbalance the extra hassle required to play. Insane mode doesn't.

Besides, there are no difficulty levels in HOF mode, the difficulty slider is locked to the maximum value and won't budge. Unless some mod I've never tested changes this in some way, that is.

3. Mr.Goodkat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for your response! It's quite reassuring to hear from an experienced player that the early parts of the game are indeed a bit stupid on 'Insane'. I was starting to think that there is some major game changer that I'm missing.

Yes, I think in IWD2 HoF mode just includes 'Insane' difficulty as its basis for calculation.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've never tried Insane, but my impression is that it just makes the game more difficult in an unfun way that just encourages more of the strategies that are already overpowered: summoning, invisibility, level squatting, etc. Huge BAB bonuses and double damage don't mean anything if the opponent never gets an attack roll against your party.

HOF has the same problem, but also has the reward of getting to play really high level spellcasters.

A more fun "difficult" mode would increase enemy levels, especially spellcaster levels, and add more enemy casters.

5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Or that casters live longer than the usual one half round until they're caught in an aoe spell. As much as it breaks the game rules, they'd need contingencies and sequencers from BG series to have a chance to unload at least parts of their intended payload.

6. lefuet Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Resourceful Veteran

have you tried tactics?

7. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    More CON and more levels helps with that.

Also they should have long-term buffs precast, and some basic short term buffs too, if the layout is such that they would have reasonable advance notice that the PCs are about to break down the door.

8. lefuet Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Resourceful Veteran

tactics does some of that.
    couldn't save the bridge and the fields of slaughter (took me ages to manage to kill the lich before he killed one of mine) are most vivid in my memory ..

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.