1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Leveling Up Imoen's Thieving Skills

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sorvo, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ready to go to level 4. Currently have 25 OL, 50 FT, 50 PP, 55 MS, 55 HiS, DI 0, ST 5. This is with the Boots of stealth and Shadow Armor and I've been using my Paladin with 18/00 Str to open locks. I'm wondering if it's worth it to throw in some Set Traps or Detect Illusion?

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only if you play with difficulty mods. You don't get a lot of opportunity to lay traps in BG since most difficult battles start with your party surrounded by/standing in front of the enemy party. Enemies also tend to have low HP so brute force approach works. Drop a few fireballs/sic a few hasted warriors on enemies abusing illusions and they don't last long.

Add to that the fact that you can't export your customized Imoen (bummer) and you might as well focus on the basic stuff (Lockpicking/Find Traps for extra XP, MS/HiS for scouting). If you plan on bringing along another thief though (Coran, Safana, dual-classed Shar Teel) then sure. Go nuts.

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    OH CRAP! I forgot about XP for locks and traps, DUH! :bang::wail::thanks:

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    IIRC itr's only like 20 xp per unlock/disarm anyway, so i doubt you're missing out on a ton of exp, though at the early levels it still counts for something i guess.

5. Sorvo

Media:
    Does the XP go up with the level of lockpicking like in BGII?

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Don't quote me on this, but i don't think it does. from what i remember, there is some variance in xp , but it's all <100 total.
    It's been a while since i played a thief through bg1 though, so that mightr have been changed in one of the later patches.

7. Sorvo

Media:
    So far I noticed lock pick is 10 and disarm is 20

8. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, that sounds about right - i don;t recall the XP reward going up for higher skill requirement traps/locks either, so as i said in my earlier post - you're not going to miss out of a ton of xp if you don't unlock/disarm everything

9. Sorvo

Media:
    I was a little lit when I read that, almost restarted my game!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.