1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lockpicking failed at Merchant house

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by pallepolleogruth, Aug 15, 2001.

1. pallepolleogruth Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi eveerybody
    I hope that somone can help me with this. My problem is: I tried to lockpick my way into the Merchant leauges house, but I failed and now I can´t get in.. What do I do?
    And also I kind of killed the man "Alatos Thuibuld" who whanted the parts for the skyship.. is this a problem?
    Thanks

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Tried the 'knock' spell?

And no, killing him means only you can't complete that quest, but it's not essential to finish the game.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Talking about the Seven Suns building? I remember I couldn't pick the lock there, and I don't think there's anything interesting there, or anything you need to finish the game. (But I might be wrong, it's been two years :p .)

As for killing that man... Well you just don't get to do the quest in that case. No big loss.

Don't you hate simultaneous posts...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 15, 2001).]

4. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The Merchants League building is only open if you have TOTSC installed, you'll get a quest to see someone there.

5. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ok now I'm confused.

We could be talking about one of three buildings.

There is the seven suns trading coster, shouldn't be any problem with a locked door there.

There is the merchant building in the NorthEast section of the city, where there's a fighter with a pack of blink dogs that will attack you (you have to pick the lock to get in). This is the same building that with ToSC installed you have to go to, to retrieve the navgation maps for Balduran's Island.

Then the third possibility is the Merchant building in the same section (south west) as the Seven Suns coster. I've found that you cannot under any circumstances get that door open, UNLESS you elected to save that merchant in cloakwood from druids (they come to get revenge for a slain druid or something). If you killed him you can never get in. If you saved him, he'll approach you and give you a quest, and open the door for you.

I think that's the one we're reffering to, but I'm not sure.

6. pallepolleogruth Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Ok, thanks for your help... I´m still a bit lost though a knok spell can you buy it? And what ia a Tosc thing that you can install?
    And ArtEchoke wops! yep I killed the man in the cloakwoords. I guess I have to give Up (the Merchant leauges house in the south east) ( the one with the seven suns an that stuff) just another thing.. the antidote form malek it contains 10 turns. do I just share it among my players?

7. Moridin Gems: 1/31

You CANNOT get into the merchant league unless you saved Aldeth Sashenstar in Cloakwood. This prevents you from doing a quest in there, but it is not vital. In return you get to fight his brother Dabron (I think) who is carrying a really nice crossbow.

Just have everyone in your group drink from the motion Marek gave you. that will cure the poison.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Spoiler inside!

Indeed Artechoke gave the right answer and Maridin also. The guy you can save from Seniyad and his druids is Aldeth Sashenstar. When you choose to save him, you'll get the Merchant Consortium Quest, Aldeth doesn't trust two friends anymore so you have to investigate what's going on. After finishing this one (in the named building) you'll get gold, XP and the Bastard Sword +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters, 5000 XP (kiling aldeth is also worth 5000 XP and 100 gold. In a stash you can find almost 1000 gold. The "friends" prove to be dopplegangers.

But I would say don't save Aldeth. The sword you also get when you kill him (and Aldeth has some evil plans iirc) and when you kill him, his brother will attack you in Baldur's Gate. He has as loot the best tanged weapon in the game, the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, (Damage +2, Thaco +5)

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited August 16, 2001).]

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes, you can buy the knock spell, either from high hedge or sorcerous sundries.

And that 'TotSC thing' is the add-on for BG.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Iirc you can also find a knock-spell in Bandit Camp (big tent or in one of the chests outside)

However the spell doesn't work on the door of The Merchant's League though...

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can't finish the Merchant League quest! This is my second time through the game and the first time, I thought I'd somehow messed up the quest, but since it's happening again I think it's a bug. Someone please help me resolve or workaround- I'm dying for the loot!

SPOILERS BELOW!

I have found the incriminating documents and showed them to Brandilar. I have killed the dopplegangers that the two friends turned into as well as all the dopplegangers on the first and third floors. There was just the one doppleganger on the second floor. But when I go back to Brandilar, he just says "There are more dopplegangers, we won't be safe until you kill them all.". If I go first to Aldeth, then back to Brandilar, the whole dialogue with Brandilar restarts: he introduces himself, then looks at the incriminating documents again, and tells me to go kill the dopplegangers.

Help! Please?

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

You dont actually have to drink the potion that Marek drops, You are cured just by talking to him. Just a little advice.

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

When you helped Aldeth Sashenstar in Cloakwood, you get a key and then you can enter the Merchants League. Killing Aldeth has also some benefits and the Merchant l;eague is except for some gold and XP not very interesting. All advantages and disadvantages are in this topic:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000481.html

14. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sprite, I had the same problem. You have to find the evidence (2nd floor), kill all the dopplehangers in the 3rd floor and then go back to the 1st floor and talk to a guy standing near the staircase (the guy who tells you about the party). There are two dopplehangers in the first floor near the corner. After you do all this, you can go anf talk to Aldeth or the guard.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep, there are dopplegangers in *all three* floors of the buliding. Just go around and kill them all - I think you must have overlooked one of them.

16. Me! Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] going back a little bit, the knock spell can also be found in the cloakwood mines on the forth level. It is in a locked chest in the room with a mustard jelly in it (mustard jelly... what a disgusting concept...)

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed, I just found that spell for I just killed Deavorn. Walk straight ahead and take the last way left, there are 3 large chest and a Mustard Jelly.

18. Myzandria Gems: 1/31

Also had this problem.

I chose Aldeth's side and killed the druids in the woods. Aldeth appeared in Baldur's Gate outside the Merchant League as usual, I accepted his lil quest but chose not to follow him inside the building immediately, thinking the door would remain unlocked until I had finished "cleaning up" some of the homes in the district *cough*. And that's where it all went wrong. Door was locked when I returned.

Knock spell does not work. Using CLUACONSOLE:CreateCreature("aldeth") "works", as in it will spawn Aldeth, but he will speak to you as if you are in fact inside the Merchant League, lol.

SO! What solved it for me *drum roll* was using Sword Coast Keeper and setting "ALDETHMOVE" (Global Variables) to 1 :) He will then reappear outside the Merchant League and give the same dialogue as before, allowing you to accept the quest 'again' and then follow him inside.

Sometimes I just want to hug myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.