1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mass Effect on PC [May/June '08]

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Series' started by Erod, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

To my surprise at least, Bioware and Electronic Arts announced today that Mass Effect will be released on the PC later this year (Yahoo link). I was expecting a much longer wait, a year or two as was the case with Jade Empire. The game will of course include better graphics, redesigned UI and some new content. I cannot wait for it to get out, I have been drooling at the game since it came out last year, I wish May would be next month already... :-)

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I knew it. Awesome. Now I really have NO reason to buy an XBOX 360. :banana:

3. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sweet...

Now, if they'll just release the tools so the community can mod it, then this will make for a great summer...

(Providing my PC can handle it of course.)

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Meh. My PC will most definitely not be able to play the game decently, so I'm not in any hurry to get it. I'll most probably buy it once I upgrade my PC (in a year I think). A friend of mine with very similar RPG tastes got it on the Xbox and says it suffers from the same problem as all of BioWare's games: multiple dialog options that make no difference whatsoever. For some reason this didn't both me in the Baldur's Gate saga as much as it did in NWN and Kotor. I suppose I found it more and more irritating that with every new RPG BioWare improve everything except the gameplay and the plotting. As much as I like to complain I'll still have a lot of fun playing it :)

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    54 pages of replies whitin half a day at the bioware forum. A lot of people are upset. they even speak of treason out loud. The more computer software educated members say that porting the game took longer than, .... So they knew.

And that means people(moderators) were lying is the growing census. People that bought a XBOX360 to play Mass Effect are not amused and started several rants. XNOX360 exclusive???? Of course the moderators and other people from Bioware can say what they want. I see Electronic Arts hand in this. Something about a fiscal year?

Quite entertaining.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think that anyone who buys a console for the sake of playing a single game on it has more money than sense. Moderators on BioWare's boards are volunteers from all over the world, not staff, so they wouldn't be let in on BioWare's plans, or lie in chorus for some reason.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Couldn't agree more, on both points.

8. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

When dealing with consoles, exclusive sometimes means only exclusive in the console market. So a PC version should not be a surprise to anyone.

9. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've been playing it on 360 lately, and even for a console game, the menu system and UI aren't that bad. Also, I agree with Tal. Anyone who guys a console for one game is an idiot.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My mistake. not only moderators but developers and spokepersons also. many voiced things like this, even recent : No plans for the immediate future release of mass effect on the pc etc etc.

Yes, buying a xbox for one game is stupid, but that little voice always says there will be other games, it is an investment, etc etc. Silly.

I think Electronic Arts are the ones that forced the release. There is a void of good RPG to be released in this half of the year, so I am happy and am going to pre order a copy. Until then, I read the boards and smile after a good rant or plausible denying.

11. Ziad

Media:
    If this was the first time a console-exclusive game was released on PC then I would say yes, treason, how dare they, etc. But considering it's not even the 10th or 20th (more like the 300th) case of this happening, people who really believed BioWare have no one but themselves to blame. Jade Empire was also console exclusive, and while it did stay that for some time it then happily got converted to PC. I never for a second though BioWare wouldn't do the same with Mass Effect.

That about sums it up.

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Treason? Well that's nice. I felt betrayed when Bioware decided to make such a great game for consoles only, so I guess we're even ;) .

13. Merlanni

Media:
    To revive this tread instead of reopening.

I like to know from gamers here that did buy the console and played it: is it a true hit. I think it is a good game but does not have that punch in it. I played Jade empire on release day and was dissapointed whit it. It was OK but to short and had lousy combat. The screenshots say Dues Ex to me.

Budget bin or pre order, that is the question.

14. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I have my copy on preorder :-).

Also, the release was delayed to the end of may for NA and to the beginning of june for EU.

15. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

The system specs were released on the Bioware forums, copied below. Nothing special though...

---
    Minimum System Requirements for Mass Effect on the PC

Operating System:
    Windows XP or Vista

Processor:
    2.4+GHZ Intel or 2.0+GHZ AMD

Memory:
    1 Gigabyte Ram (XP)
    2 Gigabyte Ram (Vista)

Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6 series(6800GT or better)
    ATI 1300XT or better (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)

Hard Drive Space:
    12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:
    DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
    ----------

Recommended System Requirements for Mass Effect on the PC

Operating System:
    Windows XP or Vista

Processor:
    2.6+GHZ Intel or 2.4+GHZ AMD

Memory:
    2 Gigabyte Ram

Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or higher.
    ATI X1800 XL series or higher

Hard Drive Space:
    12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:
    DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers – 5.1 sound card recommended
    ---

16. Merlanni

Media:
    Stupid. I cannot believe that the specs are so low. You can run this whit a pentium 3 or socket A.

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    12g of HD space? Jumpin' Jesus. :eek:

18. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I was expecting the specs to be WAY higher. Oh well, we'll see I suppose.

19. Ziad

Media:
    Err... no?

I thought my PC was doing fine running recent games, but it won't run this. The culprit's not the CPU but the graphic card.

20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get a new card mate. Can pick a 8600GT up for 80 quid. That'll last you another year at least. Worth it bro.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.