1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mass Effect - opinions and answers needed

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Series' started by chevalier, Aug 23, 2008.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've spotted Mass Effect on the shelves here, the PC version. What's great is that the original, untouched English version is included. Given that it's a BioWare game, it should be worth the time playing (the price is affordable, so I will take it if it's worth the time playing).

Now my questions are:

1. Given your experience with the game, is it worth spending precious little free time on (think overtime work every day, stuff to catch up with during the weekends etc)?

2. How intense is the game on sex?

Regarding #2, I would like to know if sexual imagery is skippable and if you have the option to avoid nudity (I've seen some screenshots) or lesbian kissing (not sure if it was for player characters or for the background).

And:

3. Are there any other such sensitive issues in the game?

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I found it a good game. If you like a fair bit of dialog and don't mind the fact combat is in third person shooter -mode, then I think you'll be fine.
    About the naughty bits. The sex scene lasts really little time, and you really don't see much. It's part of a romance, too, so you can skip the whole thing if you want to. There is a bit more, like the bar where you can see rather scantily clad dancers, but there's no nudity there. Just some rather suggestive dancing. Nothing you wouldn't see in, say, a movie. And I'm not talking about one of *those* movies or anything near that.

3. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks. Can I skip the sex scene in some way without skipping the romance as a whole? It'd feel a bit unnatural to follow "bad" responses to brush off the females.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmh, I'm not actually sure about that. I just watched it through, but it's likely that it is. Seeing you can skip all the dialogue, no matter how crucial, and cutscenes, it would be weird if you couldn't skip a bit of breasts.

Anyways, if you want to see the scene, to know how explicit it is, you can see it at Youtube. To tell the truth, I was rather surprised how very unexplicit the scene I saw was. I mean, there was a HUGE fuss over it, and then I see something well planned that doesn't show almost anything at all. It's artistic, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvj6D3HnN_s&feature=related Here's a link for the scene I saw, anyone should view at their own risk. Heh, I just noticed it's not even flagged in youtube.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The story is good, the shootergameplay a bit dumm for the likes of me. It is blast or be blasted. Did not try it whit a pseudo force character yet. The main story is not long, but there are lots of sidequests. And here it fails.

Those quest are on planets, so you have to ride a 6 wheel car over terrain that give a mountain goat a hard time. No worry everything can be reached but it will cost a lot of swearing. The side quests fail due to the buildings. 3 sets I believe on dozens of planets. Go into building kill everything that moves, go into next the building (the exact same building) kill everything that moves. next planet kill everything that moves in again the same building.... you see the pattern for the sidequests? Oh there was one whitout killing, but killing everything that moved was also an option.

Still the game puts it head above the competition due to the main game itself. It is worth it. The main hub,l the lore, the races and story lifts it from the masses to 90%. If the sidequests were just a bit better whit a few more different buildings, this would have been the game of the year.

Perhaps read the first pulp-novel first. It is a prelude to the game.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a very good game. I played it on a 360 though, but guess it's not much different. Imho the sexual aspect is over-hyped. You only get a teeny little scene where you don't see anything at all really.

As Merlanni said the sidequests are really bad and generally not worth your while.

7. chevalier

Media:
    Thank you. :) I've just bought the game and will see how it works.

The Polish edition is great. I paid 99 PLN (just about $45 or 33 euro; mind you, this was a Saturn price, not publisher price), I got the DVDs, a manual, a handbook, a chart, three postcards and 26 PLN virtual credit to spend on a new game if I buy right from the publisher. Most of all, installing the original English version is an option.

The 199 PLN version included artwork, some additional DVDs, a 2 GB pen drive, a t-shirt and a mouse pad, possibly something more.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    *** a special edition.

9. chevalier

Media:
    The downside is that I can't install the patch or the expansion because of differing copy protection (we have Safedisc, not SecuROM), even in the English version. At least, however, I can lend the game to a family member or friend without worrying about three activations.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I just finished with my first run-through as a generic soldier...and I've already started over again on a harder difficulty....however, I'm thinking I probably should have started a new game with a different class.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You should try an adept or some such. They're a lot of fun once you get the hang of the powers.

12. Kitrax

Media:
    So on the first run-though, I opted to romance Liara(sp), now that I'm on my 2nd runthough, I'm at that point where you have to choose between Ashley and Liara. My question is, if I go with Ashley does she have a similar romance...or do I have to stick with wild blue alien sex? :rolleyes:

Also, has anyone else noticed similarities in the music to Baldur's Gate? While in the tunnels under ExoGini, I recognized the music right away. Also, when you land the Mako on a planet, the sound effect it makes as soon as the tires touch down is the same sound effect as a curse in Diablo 2. :xx:

13. olimikrig

Media:
    IIRC she has a similar romance and you can get down and dirty with her as well :p.

The fact that you recognize these sounds is a clear indication that you play too many video games :p.

14. Kitrax

Media:
    You make that sound like a bad thing! :shake:

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Ashley does have a romance, and so does Kaidan when you're main char is female.

Personally I like the Adept but the Soldier and then the Infiltrator plays best for me. It's like in computer RPGs in general: I'm a hardware oriented player :shake: I like guns (or swords or whatnot) and armour and stuff. You can't nearly tweak as much with the biotic powers in Mass Effect ;) I play it on hardcore setting now.

Also, it's fun to snipe everything from geth troopers to gun towers, or for extra fun, attack gun towers on foot with assault rifles - on Asteroid X57 I found that that's reasonably easy. After that lesson stuck, I went on to generally, attack everything but a Thresher Maw on foot for double XP.

Generally, there's still a bug or another, but now that I run it on XP it works more or less flawless.

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Double XP! I had no idea. I'll have to remember this for my next runhrough.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.