1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Maxium Skill Level during Level Up?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Nethog, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Nethog Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have just reached a point in the early game where my Level 1 characters all can level up to level 2. When I am at the skills level-up screen for each character, I notice that I am unable to increase any skill beyond level 5 - even if I have sufficient unused skill points. What are the rules for skill point maximum during level-up?
    Regards,
    Nethog

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Normally level +3 is the maximum.

3. Nethog Gems: 1/31

Nope 5 max - I am using the vanilla IWD2 Complete from GOG.

4. ConjurerDragon

Media:
    If you are levelling to level 2 then the skill level is as I wrote: level +3. Level being the new one you just achieved so level 2 + 3 = 5.

5. Nethog Gems: 1/31

Nope again - i raised some skills 4 points to the max if 5 and some only 1 to 5 max. So 5 max is hardcoded. I am curious what happens when i get to level 3.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Exactly what CD said, max ranks in skills are equal to 3+level. So at level 2, you can have a maximum of 5 ranks and at level 3 you can have a maximum of 6 ranks.

7. Nethog Gems: 1/31

Ok that makes sense. I thought he meant 3+current skill level. Thanks

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cross-class skills will be half that rounded down. This is because unlike Temple of Elemental Evil, you cannot purchase half-ranks (which are useless anyways, just placeholders. Better to be able to save the points instead).

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, right, cc skills were a thing in 3E. I almost forgot about that bit of retardation. :rolleyes:

10. ConjurerDragon

Media:
  11. Nethog Gems: 1/31

12. Nifft Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Skills are measured in ranks, not levels.

There's one more constraint, too: if the skill has never been a class skill for any of your class levels, then your max rank for that skill is (level+3)/2.

That's funny and true, but it's not relevant. Skills have ranks, not levels.

13. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Obscure tip for Rogue: you need at least one point into Lockpick skill to activate the ability to disable traps. If you dont invest at least one point, you can not disarm.

Also Pickpocket actions should use with liberal reloads, because even especially high level of skill can not guarantee success (Bard's song, multiple potion of thieve mastery by way of cheating...)

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I think the pick pocketing is bugged, with you getting a fixed chance to pick pocket any given character regardless of your pick pocket skill.
    I'm basing this mostly on experiments in Targos, but that priest of Tempus and the priest of the Red Knight, one of the two is insanely hard to pick pocket, even when I cheat the character up to level 20, and drink every potion that purports to enhance pick pocketing. Even with those conditions, pick pocketing everyone in town is not the sure thing you'd expect, you still get frequent failures.

That said, skill ranks DO affect your ability to disable traps without setting them off. Being too low in rank can result in them failing more frequently. Same for open locks, too low level and you won't get that darn thing open no matter what you do (and usually bashing won't work either) unless you cast Knock.

15. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

PP is bugged. I cheat in stacks of 20 potion of TM, drink them all and check PP to be at 30, 40~ then 70-80 and do the deed. No guarantee at all~.

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I thought maybe there was an overflow thing, so I tried various relative skill levels, starting with putting it at an endgame character skill level. Still had trouble pick pocketing those two priests in the temple in Targos with an epic thief.
    It's definitely bugged.
    The only thing I can say is to put about 5 skill points into it and use Power Word:Reload until success and don't feel guilty about it due to the bugs.

17. Laclongquan Gems: 5/31

Veteran

And that's about the only area where we would do it~ Later on, we got enough resource that we dont bother with the troublesome activity at all.

18. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's been too long since I played the game, but there were a few nifty items like the lucky nucky that you could get by pick-pocketing, but like the lucky nucky, hardly game-breaking. I can't recall what they were, but I know that there isn't anything interesting outside Targos until after the Ice Temple. Although I think you can also pick-pocket an extra diamond (one of the more expensive gems) from somebody in either the werewolf or druid camps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.