1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minimum Specs?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Ofelix, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Anyone know what kind of PC it'll required in order to play NWN2. I sure hope that my pc'll run it smoothly without too much problem. Meh.

[ November 22, 2005, 15:04: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I believe they've only annouced the graphic requirements so far. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head - will look them up for you!
    [Edited again] Just realised I've already posted them else where... Can't be of much more help than that,sorry! I don't believe much more has been annouced, nor will be annouced, until closer to the date.

[Edit] Here they are!
    [ November 17, 2005, 23:35: Message edited by: Rotku ]

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That sucks quite a bit for ATI users, I think.

4. Ofelix

Media:
    Yes, but I *think* my ATI card will hold up to the demand, maybe not at full power but still.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, it's not about power as much as about simply having hardware Pixel Shading 2.0. The problem is, Radeon 9600 wields at least 150% of the power of GeForce 5200. The older Radeon 9500 is actually even more efficient but it still doesn't have PS2, not to mention the GeForce Titanium cards, some of which are faster than the lower end of the GeForce 6 series.

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'm one of those Titanium card owners, and if I need to change it for just this game, I won't, and hence they won't be getting the money I'd otherwise spend on this game. The reason is quite simple : it is a waste of money to buy an AGP card now. This means that in order to buy a new vid card, I'd have to change my motherboard too. This is not something to do lightly (because it basically means you need to almost buy an entire new computer, except for the scavenging of some usefull pieces). Especially if what chev says holds true, meaning I'd have to spend alot of money to get the higher end cards so as to not loose power when switching (mine is a Ti4800SE). This is rather expensive for one game, and as such, either other games need to require the switch, or the game must be really so great I just can't withhold myself from buying it (which is rather hard, seeing the reduced time I have to game since working and the pile of unfinished games I own)

7. Ofelix

Media:
    I have a RX9550 SE-TDI128 with 128 mo RAM. And on the box it says I have Pixel shader 2.0

D'you think it'll be enough?

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, but the nVidia 4000 series cards don't even support DX9. They are way behind the curve...a year from now they will be fossils.

AGP cards are going fast. Even the nVidia 6800 has been discontinued in AGP. But that card is already over a year old anyway. I just moved from a 5900 to a 6800 (AGP), since like Meatdog I had no desire to replace my mainboard. The difference between the 5900 and 6800 is quite stunning, especially running the HL2 Source engine.

BTW, the nVidia 6600GT blows both the ATI 9600 and the 9500 into the weeds.

[ November 24, 2005, 09:34: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    when you only have an agp slot i would suggest to pick a good card up soon. it is a matter of time before the cards are only pci express. if you do not want to change your board that is.

I have an older board with an old card, so i made a in between jump in hardware and that is costly. I had a ti 4200 and now 9800 pro 128mb/256bit. No need to tell you that is was noticable. now I am safe for an other year or so.

so when the medium cards can take it with some minor extra's off: nice Rpg is gameplay and not graphics.

but how about processor speed? the card is one thing but can it run on an older p4's like many rpg players have?

10. Kambui Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i am stuck with 5200 fx ....still i thin the game will run

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Back in November it appeared that AGP cards were as good as dead. Now, after huge demand from the market, it seems there are just as many new AGP cards as there are PCI Express. AND the AGP cards offer some interesting configurations based on the 6800/7800 chipsets offered by nVidia. But that's only half the story.

To make things even more interesting the new Elder Scrolls game seems to be as much CPU intensive as it is for the GPU. One can purchase that new 7900GTX only to discover that it is CPU bound and only running as fast as the processor can fill it with data. So now it appears that the situation is even more muddled for the newer generation of games. It seems gamers will be faced with a total system upgrade to get the most out of the new generation of RPGs, including NWN2. Dual core processors and SLI graphics are just about a necessity if settings are anything close to the max, short of the new hardware which should be available later this year.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Question: I run a laptop with a Mobility Radeon 9800, which has performance comparable to a desktop Radeon 9600. Its got 256 MB of VRAM though. I can play Oblivion at half-decent graphics.

What I do not know however, is if Mobility versions of 9800 cards have PS2.0...do they? Will I be able to play NWN2 on my laptop? I better be able to...I can't upgrade to a new PC for a year minimum... :(

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I have a Radeon 9800 on my desktop. I hope it'll be enough. I don't plan on upgrading my pc just to play a game...AGAIN!

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, but you know you will be enticed to do just that... AGAIN :lol:

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think my WILL save will be higher this time. I find myself playing on the pc less and less as years go by. SHocking? Yes. But I'm making a play at being a grown up. ;)

Although, I'm always up for hanging out with the pincushion in Faerun...So let me know, BTA.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.