1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc... from Russia?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Minsc has a Russian accent, as i understand. He is also from a place called Rasheman, which suspiciously sounds like Russia. Also, Minsk is a city in Ukraine, a former land of USSR. Ukraine is like 80% Russian...

Any thoughts on this? Is this supposed to be an easter egg? Has it been discussed before?

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ehm how an Easter Egg? Surely there is now Easter Egg wherein the KGB sudently appears to assasinate Mins(c/k) or some such.... :rolling:

3. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am not sure if he sounds Russian to me. In a couple of the speechs I think he sounds Jewish. If you look in the imdb, a guy named Jim Cummings does his voice. He was born in Ohio and lived in New Orleans for a while. He has done many voices for games/cartoons/movies. So why he gives Minsc's speech an accent? .. I dunno
    :confused:
    Maybe there is some kind of hidden message there.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Rashemen is the FR equivilent to the (former) U.S.S.R. Mostly the pre-czar, Steppe tribes though. That's probably why Minsc sounds Russian - he does to me, too.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

He also speaks of Rasheman being "like Minsc, but larger!", which definitely sounds like Russia. I figure it's just incorporating a bit of our real world into the "fake" world of Faerun to give it a better feel. Rasheman was already a part of Faerun, so my guess is that the designers found the small correlation and tried to make it more noticable with the Minsc character. A little in-joke, perhaps. :D

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Mmm never noticed this before, but you do seem right! It is implemented so beautifully that it does not seem out of the Fearun and FR.

7. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Minsc sounds Jewish? Are you kidding? :rolleyes:

Rashemen ~ Russia in Forgotten Realms mythos. I guess you missed the Maztica (FR Mexico) references too.

8. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Is there a complete list somewhere of who does each voice? I'm really surprised Jim Cummings was Minsc, 'cos usually his voice sounds low and raspy, but I guess he's versatile. Charlie Adler's also great. Anyone watched Cow And Chicken?

9. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

10. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Thanks mucho!

11. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I don't think he sounds Russian at all. And Dynaheir, also of Rasheman, has a similar accent. Again, not Russian at all. To say nothing of all her "thees" and "thous" etc.

Then there's Jahiera's strange accent. No idea what that was supposed to be.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Newsflash! Yoshimo sounds kinda asian!

;)

13. Cold_Hawaiian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Stereotypical asian, but yes asian. I am surprised that only the Kensai got into BG2 as a kit. The AD&D Samurai is pretty cool, as is the Bushi. BTW, making a Yakuza kit if anyone is interested

14. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31

It may be me, but in my opinion Jaheira and Edwin also sound quite russian. Esspecially Edwin... I wonder why the developers used so much of russian accent.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Most of the NPCs sound to me to be from middle Europe. It's all in the voice acting.

16. Phelanka7 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorry to necro this thread but I can't believe no one picked up on the fact that Minsc's default color scheme is light blue/yellow which are the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

17. Voy Gems: 5/31

minsk is capital of belarus not ukraine, in before you go deeper into that yellow-blue thing

18. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31

Jaheira always sounded Polish to me.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Edwin sounds similar because Thay is right next to Rashamen, I would think. I allways found it odd that Dynaheir is black, and Minsc is white. They are from the same place after all.

20. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Just because it's fantasy doesn't mean travel is somehow less likely generations back. Rasheman people are usually described as dusky skinned, in one description of the phenotype Minsc is actually the one with the wrong skin and lack of hair.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.