1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc Romance

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by maipai, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

yes it would need good writers. and a better concept than the one i was talking about earlier in this thread

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, the concept is pretty good. Assuming I'm reading it right, trying to change him by making him smarter would follow a bad path of the romance (possibly ending it), while accepting him as he is would follow a better path.

3. Elfen Lied

now that sounds more like it.

it is unclear if any there is a good path or an evil path associated with the concept of raising minsc's intelligence.

4. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This has been bugging me since I started frequenting this forum, and I must voice my thoughts, lest they spill from my accursed mind:

why are people so obssessed with romances? I don't know if it's just me being a stone-hearted ogre of hate and smellyness, but I just find them inane.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, it gives depth to a character. Of course, a properly written friendship track does the same, as the method is the same: more banter, delving deeper into the NPC's personality.

6. maipai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I would argue that Jan is possibly nuts himself or at least "disturbed". Also, Minsc is much hotter. I don't like the built in female romances much at all - Aerie's whiny and annoying, Viconia's a depressing bitch, and Jaheira spends almost the whole romance talking about her dead husband - creepy (and a bit trampy?). Anomen, I do like but he is a little long-winded and arrogant. I have spoken my piece - feel free to flame me.

7. Tressym Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Jaheira is also creating the impression of a 50 years old human woman, resentful to the point of marasm for the youth and beauty of other female characters. Anomen i would kill, if he weren't the game's best character in terms of efficiency {can't stand helmites, and eventhough he became LG, he still sounds LN to me!}. But i actually like Aerie and Viconia.

8. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I agree with Kuemper. The idea of a Minsc romance seems a little wierd to me...seeing as he has his "head wound" and besides, doesn't he give Boo all his attention...?

9. Elfen Lied

yes that is true, well if you could convince minsc that boo thinks the romance is a good idea or something it might work.

the only things relating to minsc i can think whether in the game already or not, quests and ideas for quests/romance/banter between the PC and Minsc are;

-boo
    -aerie as his witch

-the kidnapping of boo

-minsc trying to get in the Ice Dragon Berserker Lodge

-the possiblitiy of you getting your own hamster or ice weasel
    -his head wound and the possibily of restoring it either temporarily or permanently
    -if it doesnt already happen if the PC is a female mage minsc asks you to be his witch
    -minsc asking nalia to be his witch
    -minsc asking any female mod mage NPC to be his witch
    -some banter between edwina man minsc as technically edwina would count as a candidate for a witch
    -minsc at first being weary of your intentions with his witch if you are romancing his witch

ah thats about all i can think of.

10. maipai Gems: 2/31

I think Minsc is eccentric not mentally impaired.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    maipai,

We get the 'Minsc had one too many hits to the head' thing from BG1. Dynaheir mentions that Minsc was a little more stable before (and he didn't have Boo).

Think of Minsc as someone who has had a severe head trauma and recovered (mostly). The injury left him quite childlike in his emotional and mental capacities (which is why I really don't see him in a romance -- even a 'Flowers for Algernon' type of thing).

12. maipai Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Point taken, T2. Maybe I could create Link, Minsc's Rasheman cousin . He would be a chaotic good thief, similar to Minsc in appearance and somewhat in outlook - would allow for some interesting dialogues. Is there a tutorial on how to make mods? I'm not very good with these types of technical things. Thanks. :D

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, definately not romance for Minsc. It would mess up his whole personality, not to mention the probablity of millionfold arguments compared to Saerileth. Minsc really is like a big child inside, and that's what many of us - or at least me - love in him.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can try to follow the guides at Pocket Plane Group, Gibberlings Three and Chosen of Mystra Infinity Engine modding fora.

I found CoM guides better understandable for a new modder than the other 2.

15. Elfen Lied

if it had good writers for the dialogue, and was a little more along the lines of quests involving minsc, rather than the romantic stuff of other romances it could work.

(i hinted at a few ideas in my post above)

16. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    I can only see one possibility of romance for Minsc. A custom NPC chaotic good slightly loopy Berserker female human. Preferably with a female hamster pet. They can discuss about the countless ways to smite evil.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Try something a bit more in tune with Minsc's background - a mage/sorceress to become his witch. You even have a conflict with Aerie. Use Dynaheir's portrait for even more kicks. :lol: ;)

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Actually, I think I remember hearing somewhere that there was a mod or a mod in progress for every NPC except Korgan (which makes you wonder about Keldorn... :bad: )

19. Elfen Lied

he is a family man, a keldorn romance doesnt seem so farfetched, but by that rational so is cernd.

still i think a minsc romance would be weird, but id try it out to see what it is like

20. maipai Gems: 2/31

Until I can afford someone to do the technical stuff I'm out. Such things are beyond my skills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.