1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most and least favourite NPCs

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mihai SuperStar, Feb 27, 2005.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Like : Anomen , Edwin , Mazzy , Viconia , Jaheira Haer`Dalis.

Dislike : Imoen , Nalia , Aerie , Minsc (fed up with him , liked him before) Valygar (very stale sort of).

The rest I have a neutral opinion of.

I base this on their personalities , not their usefullness.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Like:

Edwin - How can you not like his attitude?! He's so powerful and doesn't take any sh!t from anyone. Such an inspirational NPC!

[snip]

Yoshimo - Ah the bounty hunter. Quite good in the early stages in the game, and he is quite entertaining but it's too bad you end up losing him, but what's life without a little treachery hmm?

Keldorn - Yes the game did need a strong and hearty old Follower of the Light ... and they delivered

Minsc - He may be idiotic and extremely pyschotic at times, but oh is he crack up. Can hold his own on the front line for quite a while too.

Dislike:

Anomen - God damn goody goody, makes me wanna vomit. I think of him as quite weak

Jan - Could he be anymore useless?? Absolutely pathetic!

Nalia - ummm, Mage/Thief? Imoen does this job 10 times better. Plus she doesn't carry on like a pathetic spoiled brat "trying" to be good.

[ToB NPC removed. Please read the forum description.] -Tal

[ October 19, 2005, 17:22: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I cannot stand Jahiera, she is such a snooty nag, not happy with any thing you do.

I have yet to play a game without Minsc, I jsut cannot do it. He really makes the game for me.

I liked playing with Vicona with helm of opp alignment in BG1 but it hasn't worked out in BG2 for me.

5. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    Jahiera is getting on my nerves in my current game because my party reputation is maxed out at Heroic, and she keeps going on and on and on about hoping that this isn't a sign of things to come because we must strive to maintain balance. I keep wanting to tell her quite exactly what she can go and balance on. I'd get rid of her, but I'm almost at the end of the game, and she's become pretty powerful.

6. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Like:
    Anomen- His stories about his heroics are so exaggerated they’re funny! Hehehe.

Edwin- Edwin’s transformation into a woman is hilarious! And the conversations with the other NPC’s are amusing. “I tire of walking and I tire of talking, and I thire of this laughable body. I wish to rest now.” Hehehe.

Solaufein - He’s just cool! Hehehe.

Hate:
    Nalia –so annoying! “Is that all? I…I’d hoped for more” GAHHH!

Kelsey –“Uh…hello?” Please go away! Stop following me around the Government District!!! He is also extremely loud.

Jaheira- She’s too bossy and loud. “My weapon has no effect!!!”

7. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Like:
    Korgan. Always have him along. Excellent. (but that story about the death of his old companions gets stale after the 20th time)
    Edwin. Always interesting. Usually have him along
    Minsc. Good voice, amusing lines, but I usually drop him once we are out of the first dungeon.
    Imoen. Us bhaalspawn got to stick together.
    Keldorn. Nice dialogue, kind of believable, have him along about half the times I play.
    Valygar. Quiet, but effective.
    Jan. Very good lines, but my PC is often dualled to a thief, so he is rather surplus to requirements

Dislike
    Aerie. multi-talented and Ok, but geez she moans
    Jaheira. too pushy, and I am sooo fed up with "Nature could find a home here if it were properly cleansed and balanced" in every inappropriate place you can imagine.
    Anomen. yeuch.
    Mazzy. Anyone who introduces themselves with "Ho noble travellers" deserves instant death.

Others
    Nalia. Sometimes take her but without especially liking her.
    Never took Haer Dalis.
    Unlikely to take Yoshimo again though I have nothing against him.
    Viccy is ok.
    Cernd. I don't do druids

[ October 20, 2005, 13:28: Message edited by: Gilden ]

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@Gilden:
    Take Haer Dalis' and Edwin in the same party. You won't be disappointed with Edwin either as a male or a Female.

Like:
    I enjoy Edwin as a Female "If your going to keep me in this form the least you could do is keep it healthy."

Keldorn is another I like because his goody goodyness is more toned down compared to Anomen. Specially when his dialogue's with some of the other chars kick in and show another side to him.

Dislike:
    Minsc (and Boo) has gotten quite old on me quite fast. Specially after already dealing with him in BG1. His Berserkness is so detrimental as well and i never use it even when I do use him. But at least his is more realistic in the way beserk works. Not the innate "I don't kill my party" stuff. Reminds me of my table top days as I die to him when I hit that without thinking.

Imoen is one I more often take because of what she can do than who she is myself. Starting out being a jumpy pain in the ass talking about what has been done to her constantly and She seems like overly bland to me once I get her back.

9. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Like: Aerie, low self esteem = ;)
    Minsc and Boo, they are just the greatest!

Hate: Anomen, arrogant
    Nalia, annoying and useless

10. NewMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Favorite:

Aerie: She's just not anywhere near the whiner people make her out to be (frankly, if it wasn't for the fact that she's blue-eyed and blonde I'd doubt we'd hear nearly as much complaining about her).

Neutral:

Minsc, Edwin, Korgan - lets face it, they're pretty shallow characters. Although they can be a laugh.

Hate:

Nah... can't say I really hate any of them.

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Like:
    Jaheira - She is calm, headstrong and has followed you in your travels through thick and thin. Not to mention, she trusts in you completely and even goes against her own kind in your defense! Now is that loyalty or what?? Her character is also the most well-scripted and fleshed out, making her the most 'human' amongst all the npcs. Not to mention, she has the best romance.

Minsc & Boo - What can I say? This pair makes me laugh, no matter how many times I have heard the same joke and his banters are absolutely a riot! Not to mention, his face is the face the ladies love ^^

Dislike:
    Anomen - My first character was a female elf assassin, and I picked him up. Big mistake. In subsequent games, his arrogance is his undoing... usually by my hands. He becomes much bearable once he passes his test or fails it, but I lack the patience and couldn't bear to let him live that long. For shame that this guy is the only romance a female character could have!

Haer Dalis - This guys is annoying AND sarcastic (and his sarcasm is not even funny unlike other characters like Edwin, although some of his banters are. While I enjoy funny sarcasm, he is just very annoying.). Almost as annoying as Anomen. For shame that this guy is almost the only other guy a female character could romance! Why o why are the ladies stuck with idiots??!?

Other Characters:
    Imoen - Well, she gets alittle annoying being so glum and all. But she IS your little sister, and since we have gone through thick and thin together, definitely on my good side.

Yoshimo - I kinda liked him... until he betrayed me. Totally didn't see that coming! Honestly, I do not like dishonest people, but he is still a likeable character no less. And he didn't really have much of a choice after all.

Aerie - I love Cleric/Mages. But I hate her whining. Especially when you are in a romance with her, where her whining really goes to an excessive level. Otherwise, she is quite cute in her naivete and when having her around, feel like having a younger (much) sister tagging along (more so than Imoen!).

Edwin - This guy really cracks me up. Funny, intelligent and sarcastic. What more could you ask for? And his banters are hilarious! Especially when he is Edwina. Too bad he is evil, and doesn't fit too well in my usually good aligned parties.

Jan - Another absolutely hilarious and sarcastic character. Too bad I find him pretty useless in my party.

Keldorn - Nice fellow (and a real powerhouse, and to top it of being the only guy who can weild Carsomyr), although his racism is alittle extreme. Too bad he only sees in black and white. And not to mention, the dilemma of taking him from his family or not usually prompts me to not take him into my party at all in the first place.

Nalia - Pretty neutral with her. Although her naivete with the way the world works gets on my nerves.

Viconia - I love tragic characters. They are just so... human in all their flaws. But she makes it hard for me to like her with all her high and mighty 'I'm a drow, you are an insect, I can insult you all I want' act. When in romance with her, she is a very deliciously tragic character that you can truly sympathise with. Otherwise, she is just... really really REALLY mean.

Cernd - Now this guy is boring. Really boring.

Valygar - Ditto. As boring as watching paint dry. Sure, strong silent characters are cool, but not when they are THIS silent.

Mazzy - Pretty neutral with her. But sometimes, she gets alittle too virtuous (even more than Keldorn, for goodness sake!) and that sometimes gets on my nerves.

[snip]

Korgan - Sometimes funny, but much too bloodthirsty for my tastes. And I can't stand having someone who is more likely to slit your throat in your sleep than your enemies.

I hope I didn't miss any of the characters. And sorry for the long rant.

[ November 02, 2005, 16:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

12. NewMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

A whiner, according to the dictionary, is someone who complains endlessly.

I don't think Aerie is a whiner since outside of romance you're hardly aware she exists most the time. Inside of romance - I personally wouldn't call it whining either. It's some seriously bad stuff thats happened to her (a lot more than just losing her wings, although thats what she's chosen to focus on)... once she's got it off her chest though, you won't ever have to hear about it again.

Nalia - Okay, probably whines a bit.

Imoen - I don't think she's a whiner exactly... she just has a habit of acting like a kid, which can be annoying.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Having to edit the ToB-added NPC out of every third post after repeated warnings in this thread is getting pretty old. People, this is the SoA-only forum. Please keep in mind that the ToB NPC does not exist in this forum. So don't bother listing him, because he'll be snipped out of your posts. Save yourself time and us the trouble of removing the mention of him out of your posts. Thank you.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like them all -- sure Nalia and Anomen can grate on the nerves sometimes, but they're not a total waste.

I think the best plotlines are Imoen, Viconia and Anomen.

Best dialogues belong to Jaheira, Minsc and Jan.

Best quests involve Valygar, Nalia, and Mazzy. Although Edwin's is the funniest.

Best surprises belong to Yoshimo and the love triangle between CHARNAME/Aerie/Haer'Dalis.

The voice acting on all NPC's is simply amazing -- no real annoying voices like in Baldur's Gate (Safana was over-the-top ridiculous and I wanted to drown Alora in the syrup she was spewing).

15. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

@Faye
    I agree with what you said about Edwin. :D I love those banters with 'Edwina' and the other NPC's. Especially with Yoshimo and Anomen. :D

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Like (in alphabetical order):
    • Aerie - Gott'a love her! :love:
    • Edwin - Gott'a lover her! :p
    • Imoen - Funny, and a good mage...her and Kelsey make a good team.
    • Keldorn - Good tank, even better with the Carsomyr
    • Kelsey - Best magic user in the game!
    • Korgan - Good tank, and funny to boot!
    • Jaheira - Got to love her! :love:
    Dislikes:
    • Anomen - loser...and a whiny loser at that
    • Cernd - He's alright for a druid, but he is so boooooooring
    • Haer Dalis - He tries to steal Aerie away from me...plus, bards suck.
    • Jan - Does he ever shut up?! :bang:
    • Mazzy - There are better tanks, and she gets on my nerves.
    • Minsc - He's an idiot, and I can't stand him.
    • Nalia - Does she ever shut up?! :bang:
    • Valygar - There are better tanks, and kile Cernd, he's too booooooring!
    • Viconia - Don't get me wrong, I like the Drow...I just don't like *this* Drow.
    • Yoshimo - I really liked him in the beginning of the game, as he is a good thief and fighter, but then the little punk betrays me, and I have to kill him! :bang: If there was a way to keep him, I might consider fogiving him and keeping him in the party.
    If I have forgotten any, they belong in the "dislike" list. Now, with that said, just because an NPC might be on my "dislike" list, it doesn't mean that I won't have them in my party...Yoshi and Nalia are often in my parties, but I dump them once they are no longer of value to me. :rolling:

17. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Kit, enablecheatkeys and just Ctrl-Q him when he tries to attack you. You can have him for the length of SoA. He is a lost cause later on ofcourse.

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

@Kitrax
    I agree with your view on Mazzy. Whenever I summon her to my pocket plane I'm not exactly nice to her since she thinks she is so important. Then she demands I apologise and I end up killing her instead.
    Oh well.
    :D
    Ah yes I just remembered something. Once I also got a banter between Anomen and Mazzy and it seemed like they were going to fight until I said something, so they didn't. Anyone know if they really do fight? :D If so, then I regret having stopped them! :D

19. PrincessSuzie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Like most:
    Anomen - he's a good warrior/priest. very useful. and I really like his romance. even better with flirt pack. sure, he's quite annoying at the beginning stage of romance. but I like his concerns on his family, especially his sister. and romance gets better as you go. although I do not like CN Anomen. I had him in every single game I've played.

Like a bit:
    Keldorn, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen.

Don't mind: Kelsey, Viconia, Edwin, Valygar, Yoshimo, Aerie, Korgan, Jan, Seravok

Dislike:
    Haer Dalis - so annoying!
    Aerie - stop whining already, you weak, f***ing b****!
    Nalia - I'm sick of hearing "how are we going to help the less fortunate etc etc etc"
    Solaufein - just.. something about him makes me feel uneasy.

20. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ok, i`m going in:
    • * Minsc (and Boo! you forgot Boo!)... err, and Boo. They are ready for evil buttkicking, like me :cool:
      * Jaheira. She is sexy and intelligent, and his romance is the best. ;)
      * Imoen. My sis kick ass with arrows, spells and good humor.
      * Nalia. I become her a temible good archmage. Watch out punks.
      * Yoshimo. I feel sorry for his luck, because he is a interesting NPC, but his treason is one of the best parts of the story.
      * Keldorn. A strong character, old but wise. Kick evil ass like nobody.
      * Aerie. Good girl, powerful mage/cleric, sadly some whining.
      * Cernd. Calm guy, but something useless.
      * Jan. Funny, usefully, sadly his skills are completly covert in my group.
      * Haer´dalis. I´m like his arrogance, but he is almost useless for me.
      * Korgan. Bad boy, strong and dwarf ;) , but his blood thirst his repugnant.
      * Valigar. I hate him, because is dull and he not overcome his bad time with the magic (kid, left the past behind).
      * Anomen. One word: Idiot. :mad:
      * Edwin & Viconia. Sadly they are evil, and I usually use the go-goodly parties. One of this days, I will create a evil party.
      * Mazzy. I always left go when I rescue her. Maybe is time for taste her.
    And last, Lilarcor. OK, is not a NPC, but is the most funny of all weapons (...and this one's for grandma, who said i'd never amount to anything more than a butterknife :p ).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.