1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most difficult or challenging battle.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Keraptisdm, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] What battle did you find the most difficult or challenging in IWD and/or HoW?
    The battle with the Poombas was probably the toughest for me, as my party was low on spells.
    :D

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Belhifet, my first time trough, later, there all a joke... ;)

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find them all easy but the hardest of those was propably Belhifet on Heart of Fury mode :evil: .

I kicked his a*s so hard anyway he went straight back to hell :D :grin: :evil: .

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I have never *not* cheated with IwD.

But, for what the heck ever reason, it is my favorite game of all time. Star Control 2 was it's nearest rival; but that was *before* I played IwD.

If I had a "hard time" with any battle, it would have been either Yuxonomi or Belhifet. Yux takes some pretty good weaponry to whack her (at the time, baring random items, Conolan's Hammer is one of the few items that can get ahold of her; +3 stuff is tough to come by). And Belhifet has those other guys which really get a beat down on you if you are low level or have a terrible AC.

Overall, I'd say Yux; with Belhifet a very close runner up.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Is there a game where you don't cheat? :p I killed Yxunomei wiht 1 attack, it was with my F/M/T which backstabed her and did 98. I would show you the screenshot by it was deleted when I crashed my computer system the last time.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yeah, the Yux battle was definitely tough, or the one badge battle in LDD with the fire giants and the elven cleric. I still have not been able to beat this one.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Oh I almost forgot about that one. That cleric bit*h got me reloading about 5 times before I could beat her. :flaming: I remember that I waited on one of those tiny bridges where fire giants got stuck and she couldn't get past them after that I just threw some spells and shot some arrows at her and she was dead.

8. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The very last guy was the hardest I thought. Then I took ejsmiths advice on beating him and killed him without even one guy even coming close to being dead. Thanks again ej. Every other battle in the game was a sinch. Except of course that time when I tried beating the guy in the severed hand the main guy there. I'm blanking on his name I soon learned he is impossible to beat I even fought until I was hurt then went and slept then fought and then slept and etc.

9. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I beat Yux and Bea the first times I tried.

With Yux, I noticed pretty quickly all of those arrows +2 convieniently lying around on the level, then divided them up among my 4 bowmen. 4 Bowmen with arrows +2 cut her down pretty quick.

With Bea, I figured a tough battle was in store, and even after the dispel, drank all of the giant-strength potions I had, and my 24 str Ranger finished him off.

Weren't too many really nasty battles like in BG2 (mind flayer rooms spring to mind/Kangaxx), but then again I never played in Heart of Fury mode.

10. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hmm, that yux-snake never gave me a hard time, it´s far too long ago now to remember who placed the critical on her, but the epic battle i was expecting turned out to be a cake walk. but probably just luck...

the lich (therikan) however was cut from different wood. i had to give it 3 or 4 tries before i could even pin him in the first place (those stinking higher mummies were paralyzing half of the party all the time) and another 2 go´s for the second battle.

and one sohould definitely give "how" a try on heart of fury. changed my opinion about easy gambling. the burial island was some literally hell, especially the battle with the bear spirit was close to impossible.

11. Camlan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I had a really hard time with Malavon. He started to teleport everywhere and I just couldn´t reach him. And Malavon's Rage was a pain for all my frontline fighters. I had to reload several times and when I finally defeated him it took me more than ten minutes of fight.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't have any trouble with Yuxnomei or Belhifet.

12. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Maiden Ilmadia and her fire giants. Yxunomei is easy to kill if you have +2 weapons.

13. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yxunomei is the easiest boss of all time, when she starts attacking a character, make that character leavebehind the door, then close the door, then you'll see Yxunomei stubbornly trying to walk throught the door, and then you can whack he with everything and she'll never notice. Anyways, The toughest for me was that drow maidenand her fire giants, with that drow mage a little behind.

14. Acragas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I remember that the Yxunomei battle got toned down considerably at one point - I think in the original version, she required +3 weapons to hit, which very few people had at the time. Then, in one of the patches (or maybe with Heart of Winter installed) it was changed so that she could be hit with +2 weapons, which were fairly easy to find by then.

So in the end, a battle which I thought was ridiculously difficult the first time I played the game ended up being ridiculously easy the second time around.

-Edits, me no spell good

[ September 24, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Acragas ]

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Really? Hmm, I managed to win that fight without HoW or any patches installed. It was seriously hardcore, but I don't seem to remember her requiring +3 weapons or better.

16. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The hardest battle I ever had was in HOF mode in the Trials add-on. I had level 25+ characters and the Harpy Queen, (due to a cut scene where you can't move and they all do) ripped and ripped. I got so frustrated with having to reload that I simply turned off HOF for this battle. That was lame because you can't "prep up". Anyway IWD2 is here now....

17. Elementus Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] I honetly found most of the game a push over, but one thing that seemed to give me trouble, is in fact, drow. The drow give me trouble! Of all things.... Its the fact that they are in a place I would not expect them to be in (I am speaking of Dorns Deep area) The first time I found them I had a little difficulty for some reason, its probably the fact that they have small groups, good equiment, and stats that are used properly. Second time I found them I was ready.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think I really got lucky fighting Yxonomei: My first chromatic orb was all that I needed pffzzzz and puff it held her :eek: , After that it was pounding away :D . and that was without the first patch so i had to hit her with +3 weaponry

19. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Just finished the game (only original, not HoW yet) with insane difficulty... and I must say that Yxunomei battle was the hardest, because I had low-level characters and only few better than +1 weapons. After many reloads I managed to kill her and those Yuan-ti snakes, but they killed my elven ranger (resurrection: 10,000 gold :wail: )

[ December 18, 2002, 08:01: Message edited by: Harkle ]

20. NoYur_Role Gems: 4/31

I remember having a very hard time trying to kill that topless ***** the first time around. But now that I am an experinced player, I know to focus all my long distance attacks and spells at her to keep her off balance then gang-up on her when my tanks take care of he pissant minions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.