1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

most versatile 4-man party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Clixby, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm planning to go through the whole BG shebang with one character, and I'm going to have a 4-man party for a change. Of course, the problem in this is a loss of versatility within my group. I can probably alleviate this problem to an extent with multi-classed characters (Jaheira, for example, can qualify as both a tank and a healer, while Imoen is a decent thief as well as mage), but I'm looking for reccomendations for Tutu and SoA/ToB. What's the most versatile 4-man party I can build?

Oh, it'd probably be helpful to say what my PC is, wouldn't it? He's a Half-Orc Barbarian, so he can fill in the tank position pretty good, although backup wouldn't be uncalled for.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The roles (warrior,priest,thief,mage) can be filled out with 2 characters like Montaron&Quayle or Anomen&Jan, you don't even need your barbarian.

A suggestion for BG1:

PC
    Branwen/Yeslick
    Imoen (dualclassed)
    Coran

BG2:

PC
    Jan (only option for proper thieving skills)
    Anomen
    Jaheira or Cernd or Imoen

3. OTG Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The basic character types you need are:
    tank, healer, trap-finder, ranged support, arcane spellcaster.

Here's my recommendations for BG2 and ToB.

Anomen (tank + healer):
    I would go with Anomen over Jaheira - he has higher str and, once he's knighted, higher int than Jaheira, and he can turn undead. Furthermore, clerics level faster than druids, even more so when it's a multiclass druid, meaning access to higher level spells earlier.

Jan (trap-finder + arcane spellcaster + ranged support):
    Not a massive amount of choice for the trap-finder, especially with what happens to Yoshimo, plus he can throw spells about and can make his own crossbow ammunition.

Nalia (swap for Imoen after Spellhold) (ranged support + arcane spellcaster)
    Tasheron's Bow (later switch for Gesen Bow) + Bracers of Archery + the Ion stone that increases THAC0 and your ranged support is complete.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So long as you have Anomen and Jan, any other characters are a complete bonus, because those two cover everything you need. Maybe some more powerful de-buffing would be useful in certain circumstances so Nalia or Keldorn would be good for that 4th spot.

5. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I like OTG's idea. You've got all your bases covered. Its nice to have a thief or stalker to backstab, but out of 100 battles, for 90 of those you would rather have a good tank than a single dead mage.

Are you using BGTutu or BGT?

6. Clixby Gems: 13/31

BGTutu. Right now I'm liking OTG's suggestion, but I'm still not sure about Tutu, since there aren't as many multi-classed characters.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

BG1:
    1/2 Orc Barb
    Imoen (Thief 7 > Conjuror)
    Yeslick
    Jaheira

BG2:
    1/2 Orc Barb
    Imoen
    Anomen
    Jaheira

I like tanks. :)

8. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

BG1:
    PC Barb
    Imoen (Dual class later)
    Yeslick or Coran, I think Coran is the better healer.
    Ajantis or Shar-Teel

In my experience melee is all you really need to rampage through the game, but with this group you have 2 strong tanks, a healer and a thief/mage(for later).

BG2:
    PC Barb
    Yoshimo or Jan then Imoen. Yosh doesn't have spells, but he's the best thief in BG2.
    Viconia - she has way more clerical spells, because her wisdom isn't 10.
    Keldorn - Good to have 2 tanks always and Keldorn is one of the best with gloves of dex and Carsomyr.

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31

It's worth mentioning that a mod I installed (most likely Divine Remix) means that Jaheira only has access to light armour. So, as tanks go, she's out of the question.

By the way, is Branwen a pure cleric or a fighter-cleric?

10. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

She is a pure cleric I believe

11. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Branwen is a trueclass cleric but if you have Divine Remix you should take the option to give her the Battleguard of Tempus Kit.

BG1:
    Imoen: lockpicking/trapfinding/ranged support/arcane support (if dualing as expected)
    Branwen: good tank/healer
    Kivan: one of the best ranged support npcs in the game, would be nice if he had archer kit but with a good selection fo arrows can handle any situation.
    One main perk also is that you can get all of them early and just play, but if you have no problem waiting till cloakwood to fill/finalise the party drop Kivan & Branwen for Coran & Yeslick.

BG2:
    Jan - good thief, good mage, good crossbowman, great banters and with you the whole game! **Curses Yoshimo & Imoen**
    Cernd - best wisdom score so a good healer & with shapeshifter rebalance or WolfLord kit can tank with the best of them.
    Keldorn - Carsomyr & Inquisitor abilities are invaluable against many enemies in the game, but give him 'Twelve Paces' from underrepresented items mod on switch and no caster/heavily magical crature will ever be a problem again.

12. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Nooo! It's not good. Take Sikrets Auremaster(Spelling?) instead.

13. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Tried it and generally liked it, although it shouldn't automatically convert Cernd to be an Auramaster, rather make it optional for those that like him being an upgraded shifter. Also there is dialogue between him and other npcs about him being a lycanthrope which doesn't make too much sense if he isn't.

WolfLord kit or the shapeshifter rebalancing make the druid a melee machine, able to give as good as it gets and still heal/buff the party.

The aura master is explicitly a spell caster with no hope of causing weapon damage. Although it does come with Protection from Magical Weapons and another spell which halves melee damage so it could take the aggro from enemies and survive quite well. Unfortunatly it lives and dies by its spell slots.

Edit: Links for those who haven't tried them.
    Shapeshifter Rebalancing as part of the BG2 Tweaks
    Wolf Lord: Shapeshifter Upgrade
    Auramaster Druid Kit

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hmm...can't say much about BG1 that I don't agree with already...

For SoA & ToB, I recommend:

Aerie (healer cum Mage)
    Nalia->Imoen (get rid of Nalia in Spellhold)
    Haer'Dalis (backup tank and all round good guy! :thumb: )

Of course, I tend to play some very caster heavy parties, so this may not suit your taste, but since your PC is a dedicated tank, this party should supplement you nicely.

15. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Are they NPCs from other mods? (I ask because I don't recall any such dialogue between Cernd and any of the game's original NPCs.)

16. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

There is a banter betwen him and Viconia concerning his lycantrophy, but it happens in ToB. I don't remember any other.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.