1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multi player via IP address wont work

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Sammylaw, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Sammylaw Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For some reason I can't get the multi player to work I have downloaded 1.2 and 1.3 but when I try to connect with a friend via IP address it keeps coming up with connection failed cant find server. Any Ideas?

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It might be a firewall issue.
    You did not say if both computers are on the same subnet on a lan or if you are trying to go through the internet.
    To give more specific help, I need more information.
    What operating systems are the two computers running?
    Are they both connected to the same switch on the same subnet, or are you attempting to connect to a friend over the internet?
    Is one a desktop connected to a wired connection and the other a laptop connecting to a separate wifi connection? In the latter case do you have ports on the wireless base station that the desktop is plugged into or is it plugged into a separate switch (or router/switch device)?
    In any scenario except them both being connected to the same wired device or using the same wireless hotspot, please list the make and models of the devices so I can look up instructions on how to adjust the firewall settings.

Sorry, to make it sound so complicated, but networking and firewalls can be that complicated.

Assuming you are using Windows XP or later and playing with two desktops connected to the same device or two laptops using the same wi-fi connection, you can try turning off Windows Firewall and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, then I'll walk you through opening it up to Pool of Radiance. DO NOT LEAVE IT TURNED OFF.
    For Windows XP, follow these instructions:
    http://portforward.com/english/rout...m/Pools_of_Radiance_Ruins_of_Myth_Drannor.htm

If you are using Vista, 7, or 8, look at the above, and read this so you can do the same thing
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/communicate-through-windows-firewall#1TC=windows-7

When Pool of Radiance was released, Windows XP had been out for less than a month, so they didn't take the firewall into account. By the time XP was out, PoR would have been in the process of being manufactured, packaged, and distributed.

3. Sammylaw Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

We are trying to hook up over the internet with a friend in different houses. . We are both running windows 7. We tried allowing access to POR through the fire wall with no luck then turned it off completely with still no luck. We tried running the game in compatibility mod for windows XP and windows 98 me. Still nothing.we both have westell modems wire speed 6000. We both downloaded patch 1.2 it made it so my connect button would light up but still fail to connect. Downloaded 1.3 and same thing.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I take it that you each only have a single computer connected directly to the DSL modem rather than using a router/switch to connect multiple machines?
    If you have a box in between the computer and the dsl modem, that too usually has a firewall.
    Other than that, I haven't tried internet gaming with much of anything, so I don't know the settings needed for this game.
    What you probably need is to either configure the "internet pass-thru" or set up port forwarding for port 47624 (not sure, taken from this site)

I was unable to find instructions for a "westell modems wire speed 6000", I could find a "Westell Proline 6000"
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/42-westell-proline-6000.html
    Also a WireSpeed 6100 that says it applies to the 6000 bridge, but I can't find a working link for a manual.
    http://www.softwaredriverdownload.com/westell_6100_modem_manuals.html
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18704944-modemrouter-Westell-6100-DSL-modem-user-manual

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Did you get it working? My quick searching said that your modems themselves might have NAT capabilities.
    Forward port 47624 to the PC, or set up what on other systems is called a DMZ.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.