1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Murdaugh Not Giving The Quest

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by FightCat, Jul 10, 2011.

1. FightCat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello

I got Icewind Dale Complete from GOG.com patched with Gibberlings Three's Icewind Dale Fixpack.

No matter what I tried I couldn't get Murdaugh in Lonelywood's Whistling Gallow Inn to give me the quest of Ice Rose.

I even tried the cheat of resetting the dialogue somebody over at Gamebanshee forums claimed as follows:

When I type the cheat code I get a reply saying "Nice try cheater", nothing else.

Anybody knows how I can get through this ? I just don't want to miss that huge amount of experience before progressing any further.

Thanks in advance.

---------- Added 0 hours, 45 minutes and 26 seconds later... ----------

Uh, it's me again.

Not long after posting this, I found out a workaround via some tool myself. Here is the solution for future reference:

- I had cheats enabled via Cheats=1 in my icewind.ini before I had done this. I don't know if it's a necessity but here are the terms anyway.
    - I got Variable Checker from over here and extracted to some random folder. You need Java Runtime to be installed prior to using the tool. (head over to java.com in case you have not already)
    - Run varcheck.jar by double-clicking it. Should your .jar files be associated with other programs such as, in my case, Ovi Suite (Nokia mobiles software), you have to shift-right click to get the "open with..." context menu. Then you should choose/browse to choose Java Platform SE binary etc.
    - You may encounter some error dialog box, ignore.
    - Browse to the save folder you would like edited. Remember, it's not the mpsave folder, rather the very own folder of the specific save file.
    - After your file is loaded, click the topmost dropdown box labeled Global Variable and scroll to choose KNOW_MURDAUGH (1) (it's "1" since you should already have met him so that you are having this issue).
    - With KNOW_MURDAUGH selected, write 0 instead of that 1 next to the variable. Click Upd... and click Save File... down there. You're done.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Thanks so much to the author of the tool.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That's a long list of steps. Are you sure you modified the correct icewind.ini file? If you're using Vista or Windows 7, the correct file to edit is stored in the Compability files folder.

Edit:
    More likely: "nice try cheater" refers to you trying to set a non-existent global variable, try: SetGlobal("KNOW_MURDAUGH", "GLOBAL", 0) instead ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  3. FightCat Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

For your convenience, I may have to reiterate that I have solved the issue through another method I've discovered which I've explained above as an additional post to the opening one.

Thanks for trying to be helpful though. :bow:

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You realise you need the console prefix for the cheats to work, right?

It's CHEATERSDOPROSPER: with patched IWD and GETYOURCHEATON: with HoW installed.

In case you encounter further issues within the game. It's generally preferable for an internal alteration to be made than an external application to be used, for the simple sake of stability.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.