1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots as well as access many other forum features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a truly friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this excellence is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today and convince yourself!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.

My playthru of TOEE/Co8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by WickedPrince, Aug 5, 2017.

1. WickedPrince Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah I've noted that. It is supposed to though according to tabletop rules - AND grant the same benefits to anyone who stays inside the circle - I tried leap-frogging her and Elmo once but it didn't work and they both ran away. So essentially it's another useless high-level spell - kind of. After casting Remove Fear on the people who were the target of Circle they seemed to have ongoing protection. I could for instance slip them inside the fear aura to heal my Ranger. But I probably would have been better off finding or making a bunch of Protection from Evil scrolls - or memorized more Prot from Evil spells instead of Remove Fear and let Riana: rogue2/bard9 handle the Remove Fear casting since I gave that spell to her early on with the assumption that the cleric could Remove Fear the bard and then the bard could do anyone else who needed it. In the end though all I needed was my Ranger protected - and to remember to give him one of the minor Protection from Fire rings. After changing his alignment to NG he was able to destroy the Balor with Scather without worrying about the bug. I ended up keeping Elmo back to deal with the Summon he casts early on. I also gave the other Elemental gems to Serena rogue3/sorc8 so that she could use the demon summoning effects to help out. Though the demons summoned generally proved more of a danger to my own party than the enemy as the various summons seem more or less immune to each other. On my winning run the Balor summoned a cloud of Quasits and Elmo made short work of them, managing to kill three of them in a single round thanks to his Great Cleave feat. I had to run several casters out of the cloud though and a few took minor damage.

2. WickedPrince Gems: 5/31

Well I did manage finally to defeat the Balor. I ended up waiting for Scather to show up thanks to the rescue of Prince Thrommel. I had to Console change Garret's alignment from CG to NG to avoid the bug I've heard happens with Scather combined with the Balor's Fire Shield retaliation. Greater Heroism potion on Garret, Heroism on Elmo, bard buffs, Protection from Evil on them both, and Circle of Protection from Evil on Meleny and Kuanyin reinforced with Remove Fear - kind of a dumb way to do that since it's basically two high level spells to get the effects of L1 Protection from Evil. Additionally armed them both with Lesser Rings of Fire Resistance. In the end Elmo ended up staying back to help deal with the Balor's summon and everybody else focused on the Fire Elementals and keeping the two warriors alive. It took a few tries but finally went off without a hitch.

I DID figure out that the reason I couldn't get the Console Command for changing alignment to work was because I was spelling part of the command wrong. Make sure to spell it right next time.

3. WickedPrince Gems: 5/31

Ok, a quick test with Fruella now that I know how to actually spell the change alignment console command - and it seems that none of the commands work on NPCs. Reinforced since I've tried using different commands on them like trying to change their races. You can grant them XP and not much else. I was trying to find a companion who has a high Wis that I could multiclass into Cleric, specifically a female companion, but so far Meleny is the only one, and I don't think you want to gimp her by having her be Druid1/Cleric+ and still permanently locked into her Druid Armor limitation and probably her Druidic Weapon limitation. Because of her low strength you really don't want her anywhere near melee combat despite the fact that you'll never be able to get her any of the Point Blank and Precise Shot feats while pushing her into crafting everything. I haven't tried the supposed option of having a half-orc in the party to convince one of the St Cuthbert clerics into joining the party. So my next run looks like having a PC cleric along with what-ever PCs I really want as part of my team. Unsure if Fruella is worth taking instead of Elmo. She's cranky and her AI seems to insist on taking over nearly all NPC chatter lines. But her "cleaver" that is actually a dwarven war-axe with the increased crit range that counts as a hand-axe could make her pretty deadly, especially if you pushed her into two-weapon fighting and gave her the other cleaver you can get off a female bugbear. Especially since they all count as Masterwork and there-for can be enchanted. Imagine her with +3 holy cleavers with each one having an additional elemental enchantment? O.O That could be worth putting up with her strident voice. Oddly enough despite her stats and her supposed background as a St Cuthbert worshiper the only classes she cannot multiclass into are Cleric, Monk, and Paladin. Of course the latter two are because she is true neutral, but that should not prevent her from being a Cleric in 3.5. So I wonder what is buggered up on that. As they say "curiouser and curiouser." One could theoretically let her take 4 levels if Fighter to take weapon spec hand-axe then multiclass her into Ranger with her high physical stats and Wisdom - she'd get the two-weapon fighting feats slower, but once she got them she'd be deadly - of course the only real reason to do that is to get a Ranger into the group - you could get the two-weapon fighting feats faster as a Fighter. I was also contemplating transforming her into a Barbarian, I wonder how that would work with her.

Now that I've found the Gladiator armor I'm trying to imagine building a team around as many female characters wearing it as possible. Frustrating that there isn't something similar you could do with Meleny. Best I could find for her was the Barbarian Armor which pushes her strength limits to the max pretty much all by itself. Could put her in lighter armor but nothing nearly as cute/sexy. This BTW is my brand of crazy: I want to find new and interesting ways to build parties using the stock NPCs. Especially since they tend to give them much better ability scores than my traditional Point Buy PCs. I've never much liked the vagaries of the random roll method, I've almost always ended up with crappy characters - and often been forced to play characters that should never had made competent farmers let alone adventurers.

And of course meanwhile I have yet to actually FINISH the module with this current group. I now have the Golden Skull and all of the Elemental Gems AND the various items needed for Pishella to destroy the skull, just need to take them to her now, then race through the end-game.