1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Aikanaro, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Beat me to it, Aik. :p

I'm in. (which you know already, but *shrugs*)

As for what - toying around with symbols, alchemists and any bizarre setting detail I can come up with. Hoping to get some good, strong characters this time around. Pushing for serious (unlike last year's Lab Coats) but the tone will probably depend on my mood on the 1st.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Can't believe it's that time again already!

One of these days I'll do it but seeing as I'm getting married in 9 days and then going on honeymoon, this year is out

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I always want to do it, but I never have the time... especially since my documentary is due in 3 weeks, I have to start putting in enormous amounts of hours into that. :bad: Maybe next year. Or maybe I'll just do it over the summer for fun.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I might give it a go, but I tend to write more than one story at a time so usually takes me a lot longer.

All in all, I prefer to write in my own time, I'm not sure I could get something out in a month.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I'm in. So far making fair good progress. All absolutely crap so far, of course. Writings certainly not my strong point (probably for lack of trying), but there's only one way to improve, right?

Vertigos - Life in the Sky, is the title that I'm playing around with at th emoment. Going to be following a few people from different wakes of life in a... I hesitate to use the term post-apocalypse, as that has certain images that go with it. But more or less a world, maybe 500 years after a nuclear war has destroyed the earth and sent people into the skies. MC is a mutant girl, born on the ground, and follows her interactions with the people in the sky-cities.

Got a few exams coming up in a weeks time, but figured half an hour or witting here and there isn't going to kill me. As long as I'm not worried about quality, I just jump on Write or Die and spit out 600 words in ten minutes. Repeat 3 times a day and I'm safe.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I wrote 7169 words yesterday. Today I restarted, because there is nothing worse than a story that's death spiralling into the ground with no hope of pulling up, especially on the first day. I'm happy with the new direction - same concept, but now with an outline of the first four chapters and a better defined MC.

I should study :(

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

My conscious got the better of me and figured I should probably take a few days off to really focus on study before the exam on Friday/Saturday. After that though, full steam ahead to 50K.

9. Loreseeker

Media:
    Catching up, although rather slowly. Only a day behind.

This week school got a touch hectic, so juggling time has become quite a feat. Still, I figure I can at least keep the pace even until Saturday and hopefully steam ahead for the weekend.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I've written about 1000 words of total rubbish. With my last exam on the 7th I'm currently not really touching NaNo. I have a setting I like (steampunk WITH MAGIC), but (as I ahve discovered with the 1000-word rubbish) it's pretty hard to write Victorianishly, or indeed with any quality, when NaNo is involved. Also, I have no characters, and therefore no plot.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

That would certainly be interesting... writing a 50,000 word story with no characters... mayhaps I shall try it someday!

12. Loreseeker

Media:
    Finished! *dances around* :)

The plot went haywire, the chars had happy fluff, the story somehow redeemed itself, I am ultimately happy... oh and slightly hectic, I guess.

I was a lot less disciplined this year, pulled long shifts with blank days of nothing in between, but it's over!

The novel last year was decidedly more my style, but this one has appeal of its own. Tried some new things in it, generally happy with results.

(No one read the last one, technically, so it hardly matters, but oh well. :p Just writing it was great fun.)

Back to Uni work now, I guess.

13. Rotku

Well done Loreseeker :)

I died at about 10K, when my computer decided to commit suicide. Haven't got around to fixing it yet, so that was me out for good... Always next year.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I've restarted twice, and then unrestarted today, because it turns out that all I needed to get re-inspired for that story is putting it in perspective of the other dreck I churn out. Currently on 16843, but I hope to be well over 20k by the end of today.

15. Loreseeker

Media:
    Good luck, Aik :)

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I win :D

Not even 50k of horrific crap. Hell, I think I'll even finish it off. Would be a lame place to stop writing - just before the MC takes over the country in a bloody coup, and all.

17. Loreseeker

Media:
    :clap: Congrats, Aik.

Do write the coup - what could possibly go wrong with senseless violence? :p

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, I failed - but at least I...there is no at least this time. Clearly I just suck. Oh well, I'll just go hide into a corner and cry.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.