1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NBA 2013-14

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dogsoldier, Oct 27, 2013.

1. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Wow, the Suns have sure given up on this season, huh?
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...colm-lee-washington-wizards-emeka-okafor-pick

I have to show my ignorance here. I don't even know who is in the "much-anticipated 2014" draft but the sports-writers are making it sound like the 2003, 1984 (Jordan, Olajuwan, Barkley, & Stockton, plus others), 1996 (Bryant, Iverson, Nash, Ray Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, Derek Fisher way down at the bottom), or (going way back) the 1970 draft (Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Dave Cowens, Dan Issel, Nate Archibald, etc), i.e., one of the greatest draft-classes of all time.

In good news for me, my fantasy team managed to draft LeBron James. Unfortunately, based on my previous fantasy experience, this means LeBron will probably get injured this season.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Suns have definitely gone tankapalooza, which actually makes sense from a roster perspective. The draft this year is shaping up to be very deep with talented players far beyond the top three or so, which makes it a good year to have multiple first rounders.

The Lakers should be tanking, but I guess it isn't in the Buss genes to do that (or something). The best that they can hope for is a 7 or 8 seed, which is just not worth it. They have an aging roster with a run-it coach. Makes no sense to me.

3. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

At first I was going to say the Lakers will be hard-pressed to make a 7 or 8 seed since I think they are probably worse, roster-wise, than they were last year, but upon consideration of the moves other teams made in the off-season in the West (i.e., I think Denver got worse, OKC got worse, as near as I could tell San Antonio made no serious movies but got another year older, and the jury is out on Dallas's off-season acquisitions, etc), the Lakers may still have a shot to squeak in there.

4. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

Dogsoldier's Teams:

All-Star Teams:
    East:

F LeBron James, Miami, F
    F Paul George, Indiana, F
    F Chris Bosh, Miami, F/C
    G John Wall, Washington, G
    G Joe Johnson, New Jersey, G
    - Lance Stephenson, Indiana, G
    - Roy Hibbert, Indiana, C
    - Joakim Noah, Chicago, F/C
    - Paul Millsap, Atlanta, F
    - Aaron Affalo, Orlando, G
    - Carmelo Anthony, New York, F
    - Kyrie Irving, Cleveland, G

+ 3, or 4, first-time All-Stars, I think...

Injury (That is, just name them to the team to placate the season they were having, because they were having really good seasons and SHOULD be All-Stars, and then name someone else to take their place): Al Horford, C, Atlanta; Brook Lopez, C, New Jersey

Snubs (That is, “These guys are having really good years, too, but the brutal reality is that they either, A, have to produce more, statistically, to be on the All-Star Team, B, Their team records SUCK, and you can only have so many players who play on awful teams on the All-Star Team, or C, They miss too many games because they are 'resting,' i.e., old and their team has no options:”): David West, F, Indiana; Deron Williams, G, New Jersey; Kemba Walker, G, Charlotte; Al Jefferson, C, Charlotte; Dwayne Wade, G, Miami; Kyle Lowry, G, Toronto; Luol Deng, F, Cleveland/Chicago; Andre Drummond, C, Detroit; Brandon Jennings, G, Detroit; Spencer Hawes, C, Philadelphia; DerMar DeRozan, G, Toronto; Michael Carter-Williams, G, Philadelphia

* Struggled with SG in the East—Bradley Beal and DerMar DeRozan kinda look good, but neither of them can SHOOT. Affalo isn't that good, but who is going to play guard for the Eastern conference All-Stars?

West:
    F Kevin Durant, Oklahoma, F
    F/C LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland, F
    C Dwight Howard, Houston, C
    G James Harden, Houston, G
    G Tony Parker, San Antonio, G
    - DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento, C
    - Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas, F
    - Anthony Davis, New Orleans, F/C
    - Stephen Curry, Golden State, G
    - Blake Griffin, LA Clippers, F
    - Kevin Love, Minnesota, F
    - Damien Lillard, Portland, G

+ 4, I think, first-time All-Stars...

(Injury: Chris Paul, LA Clippers, G**; Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma, G)

Snubs: Ty Lawson, G, Denver; Tim Duncan, San Antonio, F/C; Zach Randolph, Memphis, F; Pau Gasol, F/C, LA Lakers; DeAndre Jordan, C, LA Clippers; Goran Dragic, Phoenix, G; David Lee, F, Golden State; Isiah Thomas, G, Sacramento; Andre Iquodala, F, Golden State; Monta Ellis, G, Dallas

* Problem in the West is that they have too many very good forwards who are having good years—for example, Nowitzki, Randolph, and Gasol would almost certainly have made it on the AST in the East—plus, whatever teams they were on, would probably have won more games. Actually, this is a problem across the West as a whole, irrespective of position. There are a lot of really good players in the West. Klay Thompson, for instance, is having a decent season in San Francisco, but he's so good that I think he'd tear up the Eastern conference and would be an All-Star there--not to mention Gordon Hayward, playing well for a Utah team who will be lucky to win 24 games this season.
    ** Supposedly he's going to be back by the All-Star Game, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Expect the West to win, 129-120. Possibly OT.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.