1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

In New Zealand we are suddenly interested in this year's draft as a New Zealander, Steven Adams, is being hyped as potentially being picked up. Kiwis in the NBA are few and far between, and never amount to much anyway (Sean Marks or Kirk Penney anyone?).

Interest is higher than normal because Adams is the brother of our double Olympic gold medal winning shotputter Valerie Adams, so clearly some good genes in that family.

Any insights from you guys who are closer to the basketball scene than me?

2. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, CBS Sports (last updated in March) has him going in the first round. I don't know anything about him--has he expressed interest in jumping to the NBA already? (He plays at Pitt and I don't get Pitt games out here on the West coast). He's a freshman and his stats, to me, aren't particularly impressive (7 ppg, 6 ppg, less than 45% FT shooter, but he does average 2 blocks a game).

Lots of center-types have jumped early to the NBA, languish on benches for years because they aren't physically strong enough to play that position in the NBA, their footwork is bad, they lack high-quaility low-post moves or even a medium-range jump shot, etc, and then 5 or 6 years later they don't play in the NBA anymore. (I don't know if this is the case but I've heard lots of teams don't have the time or money or interest in investing much effort into their 11th or 12th men, and if those players want to excell, they have to figure out ways to do it all on their own). I suppose if the goal is to make a couple of million bucks, then he should jump right now to the NBA.

I've long thought that centers and point-guards are well-served by doing at least a couple of years in college, because to play at a high level at those positions it requires a lot of refined skill, attention to detail, and more knowledge of the game (including nuances of refereeing, for instance) than it does arguably at the other positions on the court. That being said, there are some young PGs and a young C in the league right now (John Wall, Brandon Jennings, Kyrie Irving, and Anthony Davis) who have proved that belief to be perhaps old-fashioned--that being said, all of them are terribly, abberationally talented and everyone recognized that starting when they were about 14.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Big news here. They say he might go as early as 12th in the draft pick this afternoon and become an instant millionaire and (this tells you something about NZ sport) one of our highest paid sports people ever.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I heard a take on him where he basically has come late to the game but has great athleticism and an amazing ability to pick things up. People are very high on him in an otherwise BLAH draft.

5. Harbourboy

He went 12th so that pretty much makes him one of the highest paid NZ sportsmen of all time now. Huge.

Plus his sister has won two Olympic gold medals for shot put so that family is official NZ sporting royalty.

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    New Zealand, pffft ... How about the first Canadian to ever be selected first overall? :p

7. Harbourboy

Canada? Pffft! Last time NZ played Canada, NZ won 71 - 61.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.