1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help with a few things!

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Sarah, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sarah Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me a few things I'm
    concerned with in this game. For example:
    Where does Mochai end up after you help settle her bar tab debt? She was the
    main source for free money.
    The spell that is learned by the-nameless-one after he talks the his dead
    lover, the one where you can bring party members back to life. What happens
    then if you use up all of those? Can you still bring then back or are you
    pretty much "up the creek without a paddle?"
    What do you do with all the keys you find while in the Drowned Nations? Do
    you keep them for some special use later in the game or get rid of them
    while down there?

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Hi,

Mochai goes away once her bar bill is settled.

You can Raise three companions per day when you have gained this ability. Once you have rested, you can Raise three more companions, and so on.

You only need the keys to escape the tomb. After that you can throw them away.

If you install Platter's fixpack which is available here (recommended), it fixes the Infinite Money bug and a number of other errors.

3. Sarah Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] ok,I downloaded that Platter's fix onto a floppy disk and installed it onto my comp. and tried to follow the Trainer directions. I couldn't get it to load onto the Torment game. Can someone give me like better directions cuz it like kept saying error wrong file type name or something? I'm not good with installing things like that onto computers. My brother is the only one with that experience and he's usually busy so I'm like on my own. I tried to click and drag the file onto my game and that's when it gave that error message. Also can someone tell me about the Dustman gathering bar? What is the number code for talking to Awating-death, the sere, and Seogo? Cuz I restarted my game over a million times trying to get it right for joining the dustman faction. Cuz I made the mistake of killing hagrim the beak and didn't know I wasn't supossed to becuz I need to talk to Seogo and get that stories-to -tell thingy to get rid of the Dabus in the Alley of lingering Sighs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. Montresor

Media:
    You don't need Platter's fixpack to join the Dustmen. To install the fixpack you don't have to run the game - just copy the files into the game directory (it is described in the Readme file).

To join the Dustmen, speak to Emoric in the Gathering Dust Bar. He will ask you to do four things:

1) Help Norochj find a thief disguised as a Dustman. The thief in question is Ash-Mantle south of the Hive Market.

2) Speak to Awaiting-Death. Just talk to him and report back to Emoric.

3) Speak to Sere. Talk to her and report back to Emoric.

4) Find Soego. Once you have found him in the Dead Nations, you can report back to Emoric and choose to join the Dustmen. It shouldn't matter whether you have killed Hargrimm or not.

You don't need Stories-Bones-Tell to get rid of the Dabus in the Alley. Examine the dead Dabus in the little house, and you will automatically figure out how it died. (You can also kill the Dabus outside, but that gives a lot less experience points.)

5. Sarah Gems: 1/31

Re: Need Help!?

[​IMG] Well on one of the guides I printed and things to do in the game it suggested you do not kill the Dabus in The Alley of Lingering Sighs becuz it will bring about The Lady of Pain and I already had dealth with her in the Player's Maze and the guide said that if you do something against her more than once that she will automatically kill you and the game ends. I now discovered something else with the files I download to my comp. it is now trying to bring up a defragmentation thing for the c drive while I am playing my game. Why is it doing that?So what do I do with the files? Do I bring up the ReadMe page and copy and paste these files to it and it will automatically do what you want when you start the game? Or is it more involved than that? The first 2 times I killed Hagrim and his minions there was something I thought I was missing and then when I got past the Tenement of Thugs (which i.y.o.-in my opinion- was very tuff they kept killing my friends and making me mad, as with hagrim and his minions) I just couldn't figure out how the get rid of the Dabus without killing him then I read a walkthrough that you aren't supposed to kill him and I thgouth to my myself how do I do it then. Then I read I "have to have" that Stories to tell thing and I was like that makes sense. It made sense that the only way I could find Soego was to join hagrim and not kill him I figured it out. Also how do they espect you to steal 300 commons from Ebb Creakness when you can't cuz all he does is talk to you? I don't get that.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. Montresor

Media:
    You can get rid of the Dabus in the Alley by entering the little dwelling close to the Dabus and examine the dead Dabus in there. You will realize how it died even without having Stories-Bones-Tell. Once the Alley asks you to get rid of the living Dabus, just tell it about its dead companion. It will go and investigate and be locked in itself.

You can also check out SP's online walkthrough for the Alley of Lingering Sighs (written by yours truly:)).

I don't know about the defragmentation thing but I suspect that the files on your hard disk are badly defragmented. I suggest that you run the Windows Defragmentation utility. Click Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmentation. In the window that opens, click Analyze. If the tool suggests that your disk is defragmented, click Defragment.

7. Sarah Gems: 1/31

Re:help plz?

[​IMG] I restarted the game did everything right and have already gotten past the Alley of Lingering Sighs. I am now in the Lower Ward, about to head to The Clerk's Ward. In the Lower Ward there were a couple of gith's that you were supposed to talk to and let them kill you to regain 2 memories. Well I think I screwed up cuz when I talked to them, Dak' kon and them wanted to fight. When I let them I ended uo battling as well and killed them instead. Was I supposed to stay out of the battle or just let them strike me till I died? Also that guy you talk to get Morte back after his minions stole him from me, that giant rat thing in the cave below was I supposed to kill him or what? His name is Mantouk. And I got confused that if I am supposed to kill him to get this magic book. Why do I have to sell one of my friends and kill another one? What is the point of that? I also ended up killing Vorton after the battle with the giths and I know now that I was supposed to for that woman in the warehouse, but after I went back to tell her, it did nothing cuz none of the statements in my list had anything about me killing him to tell her. what do I do about that? Do I have to have a higher intelligence before I tell her? What items in my possesion can I get rid of. I have my eye ball, my intestines, some wolf pipe,some of the notes from the Mortuary,the log book from the Mortuary, that book from the Mortuary that helped me destroy that giant skeleton guards, all 3 keys from The Warrens Of Thought, 3 keys from The Tenement of Thugs,my arm from the Dead Nations,That note from Pharoad, and some other stuff. So what is a must keep that I may need later in the game? Or is there some safe place I can store the things I have till I might need them later so they don't disappear? Should I also join the Godsman with Keldor?Will that make me lose my skill as a fighter? I printed off that thingy to make yourself muti-experienced, but can't figure out how. I want to be a Fighter/Mage. Apparently I will be needing my Mage skill later in the game or so I read on the walkthroughs I printed. Can anyone tell me of a very simple way to do it? I can't quite figure out what was meant on how to do it on that other page. I want just very simple instructions that even a small child could figure out. Can anyone help? :confused:

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    OK, one thing at a time :)

1) For the encounter with the giths, you should keep Dak'kon far away (I usually leave him near the entrance to the area) when you talk to them. This way he won't chime in, they'll kill TNO and you get the recovered memory.

2) You don't have to use the book. In fact giving it anything more than a drop of blood will push TNO's alignment way, way towards Evil.

3) I don't remember the encounter with Vorton. Sorry.

4) Which eye is that? If it's the one you got while talking to Ignus, you can use it to learn a new spell. The intestine you should certainly keep, they can be turned into a good item later on. You don't need any of the keys once you've finished the area where they are used, and I think you don't need any of the notes or books at all. I usually store all my items in a container in one of the shops, they never disappear there. Keep your arm until you have a chat with Fell, if you've already talked to him (and triggered a response from Dak'kon) you don't need it anymore. One little spoilerish hint: keep the sphere.

5) You can join all the factions at one point or another in the game. You can't be part of the Dustmen, Godsmen and Sensate at the same time, and I don't think you can "go back". I don't remember if you have to join the Godsmen (I think you do) but there's no reason why you shouldn't. Joining factions doesn't affect your class in any way (except giving you extra abilities and/or items)

6) You can't be a Fighter and Mage at the same time (unless that page you refer to takes advantage of a game bug). You can switch back and forth between classes by talking to Dak'kon (for Fighter and Mage) or Annah (for Thief). You won't need to be a Mage, but there's a couple of places where being a Mage at that particular time is a bonus (and there's another where being a Fighter is).

Hope this helps.

9. Sarah Gems: 1/31

Re:help plz?

[​IMG] Ziad,
    Thank You So Much!
    You really did help.:)
    4) Which eye is that? If it's the one you got while talking to Ignus, you can use it to learn a new spell. The intestine you should certainly keep, they can be turned into a good item later on. You don't need any of the keys once you've finished the area where they are used, and I think you don't need any of the notes or books at all. I usually store all my items in a container in one of the shops, they never disappear there. Keep your arm until you have a chat with Fell, if you've already talked to him (and triggered a response from Dak'kon) you don't need it anymore. One little spoilerish hint: keep the sphere.--- The eye of which I speak is the one that I paid for and received in The Smoldering Corse Bar by the Bartender.---

5) You can join all the factions at one point or another in the game. You can't be part of the Dustmen, Godsmen and Sensate at the same time, and I don't think you can "go back". I don't remember if you have to join the Godsmen (I think you do) but there's no reason why you shouldn't. Joining factions doesn't affect your class in any way (except giving you extra abilities and/or items)---I read on one of the walkthroughs that that certain person who wrote these walkthroughs didn't join any factions. Also when I went to finish my mission for Emoric in the Dustman Gathering Bar he stated that to become a full member I had to give up my past life and I thought that that meant I could fight or anything of that sort anymore. Was my thought incorrect?---

6) You can't be a Fighter and Mage at the same time (unless that page you refer to takes advantage of a game bug). You can switch back and forth between classes by talking to Dak'kon (for Fighter and Mage) or Annah (for Thief). You won't need to be a Mage, but there's a couple of places where being a Mage at that particular time is a bonus (and there's another where being a Fighter is). ---The page I speak of was this-->http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/187975/7964<-- It listed instructions on how to become either a Fighter/Mage or Thief/Mage. It was a walkthrough by DSimpson and I can't quite figure it out, straight and clear.---
    So the rest of my useless items like uneeded rings, bracelets, low class weapons and such I can either get rid of or store in an empty store comtainer right? That would be so great.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Mmm. I'm not sure. What did you do with the eye when you bought it? You should have got the option to tear out the current one and put this one instead (which triggers a recovered memory I think). Did you choose not to? I always do, so maybe if you don't the eye just stays in your inventory (at which point it's not so useful, unless you still have the option of putting it back).

Oh yeah - I think there's also at least one glass eye that you can replace the real one with, but I think it mentions the exact abilities it gives in the item description.

What Emoric meant is that, to join the Dustmen, you need to give up your affiliation to the other factions (namely the Godsmen and the Sensates). It's the same when you try to join the Godsmen, and again when you try to join the Sensates: each of these 3 will force you to give up your affiliation to the others when you join (the Anarchists and the Xaositects can be joined at the same time, and on top of one of the other 3 factions)

I'm afraid I can't help you with this one, as I never tried to use the bug and I don't have the game installed at the moment. The instructions do seem a bit... odd.

None of the items you name are essential (though you may want to keep some of the "special" items - it should be pretty obvious if a ring or weapon is important, both from its name/description and from the way through which you get it). Rather than storing them though you might as well sell them. You won't be able to get rid of keys this way, but all those copper rings are worth quite a bit if you sell all of them, and money is always good for more tattoos.

Oh, and you might want to use the Quote function (there's a button at the bottom of each post), it'll save you having to manually change the formatting to distinguish between what you write and what you're replying to :)

(Oh and if you feel I'm being too cryptic concerning the items to keep, I'm only trying to avoid spoilers. If that doesn't bother you, feel free to ask for clarification)

11. findarato Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

yes, sell all the things you don't need and someone's willing to buy! I always was very wealthy for a time, until I visited Fell again.
    And I was positively surprised Giltspur paid something for the wererat skulls.

Who is this Vorton you met? Can't recall him already I am at Clerk's ward myself currently.

Me too got this book from mantuok, could sell Ignus, but don't like to kill anyone else, so I don't think I will use that book. I'm chaotic neutral at the time, if I want to become evil, there might be other ways.

Killed 2 Abishai in Lower ward, now the Harmonium and some other guys are upset, but what can you do. I just run when they come at me, and soon they won't see me anymore. Seems Clerk's ward harmonium haven't found out yet.

12. Sarah Gems: 1/31

Re: Need Help!?

[​IMG] I am not worried about spoilers. Actually they really help me out. Do you know that if I didn't have some of the upcomming info. before I enter a new place that I would have to restart a number of times before I figured it out. That to some is also considered probably cheating by knowing what's going to be coming, but oh well. I have already had to start a number of times(each time I get further and further and when I do have to restart I am so on the verge of breaking down crying cuz I know at that moment I screwed up and I knew that before I made my mistake. I should have read some of the papers. My recent screw up was where you get Fall-From-Grace. I couldn't figure out how to get ravel's daughter to give me this portable portal key thing and on the tips I read the other solutions is to kill her, but that will also send every guard (which is a lot) from all around to kill me and also end's up Fall-From-Grace tries to kill me too. So just last night I had to begin "everything again". Can anyone tell me of a way to avoid this other than reading things before doing? I accepted the eye from the Smoldering Corpse Bar for 500 coin and yes it is the one that regains a memory. I want to know exactly what I must keep in all weapons, items, and such. That is important to me. I do not want to resort to restarting again. Has anyone ever done it so much they felt like throwing there comp. out the nearest window and smashing it?:aaa:
    " Question: The original PlaneScape Torment game has 2 cd-roms. Is there an upgraded one that has more than that? Cuz on some of the walkthroughs it talks about cd-1-4. Also if anyone wants to know I think I discovered a spoiler in the game of my own. Those who are curious or maybe already know tell me and I will tell you what it is.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  13. Montresor

Media:
    You can get Kesai-Serris to accept that she is Ravel's daughter and give you some of her blood willingly. But it takes a while... ;) The solution is on this page, scroll down to "How to find the portal key:" under the "Finding Ravel Puzzlewell" heading.

The game has come out in two versions. First a version with 4 CDs and later a version with 2 CDs. The later version is actually better, it has been patched with the official Version 1.1 patch and has all the information of the original game. It's just that between the two versions the CD technology was improved so they only needed 2 CDs to keep all the information. In short, you have all that you need to play the game. :)

14. Sarah Gems: 1/31

I have the 2 disc. version. I also have Soulbringer and Septerra Core:Legacy of the Creator as a combo pack. The I also have Frankenstein: Throught the Eyes of the Monster and The Mummy:Curse of the Pharoah as a combo pack as well. I think!? I can't really play Soulbringer right now cuz I normally use cheats in my games to help keep me from dieingso often and I can't enable any cheats in Soulbringer. I got info on how, but I could never figure out just how to do it.
    Montresor you never did fully answer my ? on how to enable the files into PlaneScape Torment. I had asked if it truely was as simple as copying and paste them after I download them on to the read me file?And will they then automatically kick in when you start the game from then on?

Finarato: Vorton is the Harmonium guard that stands just inside the Lower Ward gate,just as you enter from the Aleey of Lingering Sighs.

How do you know if your good, evil, chaotic, or neutral?

If you were to join the Dustman, Godsman, Sensate or any other faction can you ever change to a different one or will you have to stay that one till the end of the game? Can you ever be a member of more than one faction?

What is the highest level of a fighter, thief, and mage? Is it 12 or does it go higher than that? Earlier I mentioned that I found a spoiler in the game and that is: When you are in The Lower Ward and you are talking to The guy in the Coffin building he asks you to perform a task for him of going to the warehouse to retreive the tomb plans and when you come back he asks you if you did it and if you reply whatever the answer is you give him #1 then he gives you 2000 points then on the next reply you say farewell #2. If you do that over and over countless times you can quickly upgrade your skills as fighter, mage, or thief to whatever level you want 2000 points at a time. I got up to almost level 9 from being at almost level 8 in there while talking to him and upgraded my other friends skills.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  15. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

well I know him (vorton), just had forgotten his name. :)

I was level 28 mage at the end of the game, and I believe it goes higher than that. actually don't think there is a limit for levelling up.

alignment is shown on the page where all your stats are displayed. you get a notification during the game when there is a change. I always ended up as chaotic neutral btw.

joining the godsmen requires you to quit the dustmen. I cheated splinter to believe I already was a sensate (or one of my incarnations really was one), so no further questions from him. that made me godsman and sensate at the same time I guess. but usually you just can be one or the other. and you always can quit a faction membership.

the exp bug with hamrys is gone since I installed a fixpack. but in the beginning of the game (in the hive) I use the abishai for upgrading. only in the lower ward that made others hostile.

16. Montresor

Media:
    Yes, you can just copy the files into the game directory. But there may be problems with existing games, so you may have to start over again.

17. Sarah Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] don't know if anyone else noticed this, but if you buy a ton of Cranium rat charms and then use them it can take you intelligence up to level 25. Then I had noticed that it went no higher than 25 and once I bought and used those cockroach charms it seemed to have screwed up my intelligence level back to about 13. So I don't really get what's up with that glitch. I was hoping I could quickly increase my intellengence and other stuff and be like really strong before I got too far into the game. I may just restart again Montressor cuz If I had the ability to increase my coins without continuously have to talk to that fake dustwoman that would be great. It takes for ever to get your coin up high where ever you want it. I spent I think like a solid hour trying to get it to 1000000 and up. I might just try it.

18. findarato Gems: 3/31

Veteran

I never was suffering from lack of money in the game, always got it from selling stuff I looted from the thugs in the hive. so I never had the need to use such bugs as that one with mochai. :)

highest intelligence I had in the game was 21, does 25 do any difference in dialog options? I found a lot of cranium rat charms later in the game, never used them excessively but sold them mostly.

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Intelligence is an ability stat, the term level is usually used for describing your experience. The AD&D world exists where the highest possible ability stat is 25. You can't get any stat higher than 25 in any pre-3rd edition game.

Money is really not all that important in the game. Having a lot of it makes the game a little easier, but you really don't need that much coin (early on I guess it could make the game a lot easier -- even unbalancing -- but by later in the game you'll have enough to get what you need).

I don't think you get different dialogs above intelligence of 21 -- but you could check the Dan Simpson guide.

20. Sarah Gems: 1/31

I never noticed any difference in dialog when I had it that high. To me having an excessive amount of money in the game is imporant. I having the ability to buy what I need and possibly will need later on. In my opinion having a large amount of money early in the game gives you the ability to big bigger and stronger weapons for battles and give it away to certain townsfolk who are in need of it and would then be willing to give you all the info. you want. But maybe that's just me. :)

? if the area in the Clerk's Ward labeled UnderSigil isn't required to do in the game except for exp points in the game then why is it there?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.