1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need tactics to defeat Demogorgon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tiberius, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hey everyone,
    I have read the majority of the messages regarding demogorgon and have tried them all. energy blades, planetars, beefing up fighters. whirlwind attacks. Out of 10 times I have got him to near death once. By that time 3 party members dead and the rest hurt, poisoned, and on their way out. Any other possibilities? If not, I will just keep on trying. They worked for you guys but maybe my party is to weak. I have started watchers keep before clearing all the enclaves.

Thanx

[ August 10, 2004, 20:27: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The simplest strategy is: Concentrate everything on Demogorgon. Have mages continually cast the 8th level spell "pierce shield" to keep all of his defenses down (or the 9th level spell "spellstrike".

Immediately following taking his defenses down have all of your fighter do a greater whirlwind attack on him. Provided you have 2 or 3 characters with that ability, he shouldn't survive the assault.

3. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Just in case you don't know, Elem. prince, Solar etc are a MUST to keep his "friends" bussy.

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Summoning Mordekainen's Sword works well to draw attention (and not get killed). Summon Planetar and Implosion also work well as Implosion will hold DG immobile temporarily and occasionally inflict some damage.

The tactics you use will depend on when/how you engage DG. If you go back in after the Vigil Knights check it out for themselves, life is a little more difficult because you will arrive in clusters rather than in one group. Farsight and summons will allow you to stay back and distract DG while you prepare to rush him and use Aldeth's advice to whip through his defences.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I know the feeling. The first time I played the Improved Battles mod that goes with Ascension, I just couldn't kill him. But what I find helps is if you strategically place your summoned allies, i.e. putting them right where his backup is going to spawn, so that way, they go straight for the Planetar rather than your party. Then you can concentrate everything you've got on Demogorgan.

Energy Blades are really only helpful in bringing down his Stoneskins, because, AFAIK he's totally immune to all spells. Lower MR doesn't help either.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think he's immune to all spells of level 6 or lower, which would include Lower Resistance.

I know he's not completely immune to all spells, because I'm positive I have successfully used Pierce Shield and Spellstrike on him. So I guess we should look on the bright side - he doesn't have the spell resistances like the demi-lich at least.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You know what's the best tactic in all such encounters in all such games? Cast all buffs you have and go into melee, casting Dispel/Breach/Spellstrike in the same second. Works like charm.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

But then Dispel Magic dispels your buffs, so that kind of sucks.

9. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Breach is the way to do, and you should have several wands with this on by now. I usually have some summons, with Korgan going in hard. Korgan will make a hit, then run around Demogorgan for him to be attracted by a summons and then Korgan will run behind him and hit him again. It is still a very tough battle, but winnable with care.

10. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just, whatever you do, DONT SUMMON DEMONS!!!!!
    Like (spoiler)

Amellyssan the Black - Hearted (well some ppl wouldnt know she was evil), Demogorgon can take them over, then Protection from Evil or not they can attack you.

11. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I use the Protection from evil 10' and the demogorgon never atacked me. And use the dragonbreath and I put down his minions. This battle was the most easy from all the expansion.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Tardazor: I reckon ol' Demo failed his save when you cast Dragon's Breath. Its rare...so, in your case, I'd say that was lucky. :)

@Tiberius: If possible, have a Chain Contingency of Pierce Shield x3. If you have another high level mage, then a Chain Contingency of Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting x3. This should be set to "Enemy Sighted", and this mage should not be brought anywhere near Demogorgon till the first CC triggers.

After this, just beat on him with GWW till he dies.

If you find that you cannot have a second mage...then I would recommend having your clerics on hand with all their high level healing magics, and your mage with all his lvl 8 spell slots filled with Pierce Shield, apart from the CC. (rest :) )

Also...if you don't mind...lay traps at his spawn to soften him up. That always works...and just 3 Spike Traps are good enough to lay waste to him. :)

13. rsog2000 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a question. If you encounter the demogorgon and choose not to seal him, it warns that he will be free to wreak havoc everywhere....does anyone know what happens if you do set him free? Like will he turn up in ranom places?

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @rsog2000: Nope, nothing of the sort happens. In fact, if you leave the Keep at any time with the mission unfulfilled, it just freezes there and nothing changes at all in your game. I guess it's just a role-playing thing: if you leave him he'll wreak havoc on the Material Plane, if you kill him you just send him back to the Abyss, so the "best" thing to do is seal him. Though in all three cases the outcome is all in your head (except for the gobs of XP you get, particularly if you seal him THEN kill him)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.