1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Apr 1, 2003.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context.

Trent Oster, Producer

Spell Sequencers: We didn't put in spell sequencers in the original release because we never had the time.
    I love the idea of waking up in the morning and quick casting all your normal protection spells with one click. I'm hoping we can free up a little time in the future to look at sequencers in depth.

David Gaider, Designer

Quote: it just didn't seem like THAT big a deal... since you can fake it with a list of constants in the scripting...

I suppose it's true that there are many things this function does that are currently possible... but you try creating a wandering monster table or a random treasure table via regular scripting and then try it with a .2da and then tell me how big a deal it is.

Quote: Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but can this be used for custom content like creatures? As in a new creature can have its own .2da files (appearance/portrait/etc) instead of having to include modified default .2da files?

No, not that. The game itself accesses the info off of the default .2da files when the game initially starts up... it grabs the info and then doesn't look at those files again, afterwards. The scripting command allows you to look up a .2da file (whether one of the defaults or one you made yourself) and get the information out of a specific row/column at any time. So you can grab some information out of the appearance.2da, but that's not the same as how the engine uses that file.

Quote: But as always, it's up to the module builder to put that stuff in. Either way it still has to be scripted in by somebody. This just makes it easier to manage. Hopefully this will be how they do the SoU wandering monsters so we can all get a good peek at how they use it.

I'm not sure how the wandering monster system is being done, but it probably will use this, yes. That's being done for XP2, though. What we want to use this command for right now is our random treasure system. It will probably also be extended to the summoning system as well as controlling the XP we give out in the OC... having one clear, central table where you can adjust all this stuff is a god-send. If anyone's ever looked at the random treasure script for the NWN OC, you'll know what I mean.

Quote: Wait wait, you mean we can create our own 2da files? Say I create a file and call it temreksencounterlist.2da, with the first colum being a monsters name, the second its blueprint reference and the third the amount of creatures? And then read from it?

Correct. Anything you pull off the table that isn't a string you can convert, like with StringToInt. And you can make the .2da as complex as you need... blueprint reference, number of creatures, chance of other creatures appearing, a waypoint tag they appear at, the name of another .2da file that determines the makeup of that encounter group... whatever.

Brent Knowles, Co Lead Designer

Craft Systems: We really like the D&D item crafting system and have explored various ways of implementing it (as well as examing the various crafting systems that the builder's community have developed). Unfortunately for SOU we will only be able to put in a couple of item crafting teaser's (like the Harper Scout ability). This is definitely something we are looking into for XP2.

Class Abilities: For XP1, class feat-spell abilities *will* show up dynamically, though there is a cap of 7 active abilities on the radial, if I remember correctly. So this means you could add Feat X which calls Spell X for your new prestige class and it would show up on the radial menu in game if you set the data up correctly.

Tom Ohle, Communications Associate

NWN Wednesdays: There's a reason we haven't shown as many creatures as we have spells and feats: there aren't as many. 16 creatures... 50 spells.... 30 feats. That's a 5 to 1 ratio... thus, mathematically, creatures get less lovin'. They'll be coming, though.

SoU Treasure System: Yeah, there is a better treasure system in SoU. Part of that is that there aren't as many random treasures laying around. If there's a barrel in a kitchen, it's highly unlikely you'll find money in it; a fish is much more likely. That said, I played about the first 5 hours of SoU on the weekend... it's a lot of fun. Can't wait until it's done; there are definitely way more non-combat options for those inclined.

Oh yeah, you still get experience for combat--but you also get experience for solving things diplomatically

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.