1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 26, 2003.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context.

David Gaider, Designer

AI: The AI's better in some respects, such as spell-casters choosing their spells, but we haven't had the time to devote to it that we might have otherwise liked. Hold us to a higher standard or not, we have a lot to do... a bright and dedicated fan with a very specific agenda and lots of time is always going to have the potential to outperform us, like it or not. I can understand the desire to only look out for official updates, but they're not always going to include everything you want. And as far as henchman leading a PC rather than following... I can tell you right now that that's just not going to happen. Wow, I can't even begin to imagine what that would require beyond the henchman making his or her own decisions on where to go and leaving you to follow or not. Which woiuld make it beside the point, really.

Statues With Petrification:: I don't think the stoneskin effect has been changed.... on some creatures you're going to see the swirling rock thingy and that's all there is to it. There's a reason for that which one of the artists explained a long time ago, but I don't remember it anymore, sorry. You can make statues with the petrification effect, sure... just remember that the creature still shows up as a creature in the engine. The player will be able to examine the creature and see the description, along with the status icon indicating that it's been petrified. If you're okay with that, then go hard.

Item Costs: The info I collected for this is in the hands of the Live Team, and it's something I'm told that they intend to work on... in time. They have a number of other higher-priority projects on their plate, currently.

Quote: All they need to do is allow us to put negative numbers in the "additional cost" box. I really can't see why this is hard to code for them...

I don't think there is any difficulty associated with this. When was that said? Just because it isn't difficult, however, doesn't mean we'll get right on it. We go through our lists in order of priority, not ease. Lower-priority stuff might get done out of order if it's perhaps encountered and fixed on the way to something else. So the Live Team will get to this eventually, even if it's not as snappy as you might like.

Jay Watamaniuk, Community Manager

Evil Druids: My take on Druids is that they are balanced between good and evil as nature serves neither. I think the concept of an evil druid would in line with a druid that has chosen to support a group that has opposing views to the player characters (such as a band of orcs and so on). The druid will seem evil in the eyes of the players but they will have there own reasons for doing so. This does not mean that there are no eeeeeevil druids out there however. I just think that a druid will work for it's own or nature's own purpose which may run counter to PCs.

Don Moar, Tools Programmer

Command Line ERF Tool: I don't know if one's freely available or not, but all the information required to build one is now freely available on this site for the enterprising person (people?) willing to give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.