1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 21, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Once again, some more from the guys on the official Neverwinter Nights message boards. Apparently Rob Bartel was waxing poetic this day. ;)

Rob Bartel, Co-Lead Designer:

Strongholds:
    No, due to our module-based structure, we unfortunately won't be distributing strongholds in the official NWN campaign. After all, in multiplayer, you'd end up having two fighters claiming ownership of the same Keep, which would put a damper on the charm. ;o) We are giving you 'bases of operation' in each of the Chapters, though, and in the later ones, there starts to be a sense of ownership there.

I'm sure you'll find a variety of strongholds among the user-created modules, though, ranging from BG2-styled ones to your own house or castle in a persistent world, to a guildhouse shared by you and your friends. And the best stronghold of all, of course, is one you build for yourself and customize to your needs within the toolset.

User submitted models: It's a good idea, Atma, but you're unfortunately right - it would be quite an administrative challenge and not one that we have time or free manpower to handle effectively. Also, if bugs are found, it's always easier to fix something that you've created yourself rather than trying to decipher someone else's work.

Tileset size: It varies from tileset to tileset and is still in flux. The Rural and Urban tilesets are going to be the largest, though.

Eye in Neverwinter
    "Wind by the Fireside"

So as you shiver in the cold and the dark,
    Look into the fire and see in its spark--
    My eye
    Watching over you.

As you walk in the wind's whistling claws,
    Listen past the howling of the wolf's jaws.
    My song
    Comes to you.

And when you're lost in the trackless snow,
    Look up high where the eagles go.
    My star
    Shines for you.

In deep, dark mine or on crumbling peak,
    Hear the words of love I speak.
    My thoughts
    Are with you.

You are not forsaken.
    You are not forgotten.
    The North cannot swallow you.
    The snows cannot bury you.
    I will come for you.
    Faerun will grow warmer,
    And the gods will smile
    But oh, my love, guard yourself well--
    All this may not happen for a long, long while.

(A traditional trail ballad of the Savage Frontier -- composer unknown. Recorded by Volothamp Geddarm in his "Guide to the North.")

All the answers that you seek
    Have been sung of for a long, long time...
    Rob Bartel

Bob McCabe, Writing & Design:

Throne of Bhaal Staff:
    BioWare shares employees between projects a good bit, so some people already have been working on Neverwinter, some are coming on to Neverwinter now (and some of those will leave just as quickly), and some have moved on to other projects, such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Cord Grimwinder-8d, Interplaygames.com Moderator:

Signs in other languages:
    Simple enough though to make more than one text pop up, one plain worded and the other gibberish. Then have a script check the PC when they examine the sign to determine which pop up they get. You could base it on something as simple as the PC's Race, or make up your own simple/complex formulas, things like checking the PC's Int, Wis, Level, class, skills, feats, etc, in whatever combo fits your idea of a "language check".

Building houses in 3dMax: Also, keep in mind though, that buildings aren't limited to that size, many buildings are actually sets of 2 or more tiles in a fixed brush. So don't restrict your planning 10x10 unless you just wish to.

Release Date:
    1)Read the posts on these subjects in the Official Announcements Conference here. They are 100% accurate (I wrote them ;-p).

2)EBWorld just moved their date back to 3/15/2002. Hmm wonder if they or Amazon will win the "Guess the Date" contest? ;-).

Retailers use projected dates to set up their marketing/advertising, that have little basis in reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.