1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Fallout 3 Screens

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Dalveen, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]Bethesda have released more screenshots of their highly anticipated sequel Fallout 3.

You can see the screenshots at ShackNews.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the link Dalveen.

It will be stunning. I'm just concerned about dialogue and experience stuff. Oblivion is rather crappy in those areas (although I like Shivering Isles). Dialogue in Oblivion is a pain and Bethesda can only improve on that. I just hope it won't turn into a powergaming festival (like Oblivion when your character ends up being good at everything). The original Fallout could be played in many different ways.

Still, really nice screenshots.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

"It will be stunning."

Quite a statement when we still do not know much about the game.
    At least those PC screenshots look okay. Bethesda has always made great graphics, but nothing else.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    If you had bothered to read the end of my post you wouldn't have felt obliged to make such a statement.

For your information stunning can be construed as meaning this: "strikingly impressive especially in beauty or excellence" and in that case I believe the screenshots qualify.

Sorry for being off-topic but I'm sick and tired of people picking a word in a post just to make a point and unnecessarily bash other posters.

All I meant was to thank Dalveen for the link and I never thought I'd get in an argument defending the quality of these screenshots (which certainly reflects the graphics of the game itself). :rolleyes:

5. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    No problem Caradhras, It's my job to post these links after all... :p

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Only graphics. Morrowind and Oblivion only graphics. I guess you are not one to read the ingame books.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Apologies if it was offending.

And I did read it, but you said it in such a way that it could mean the whole game :-). Maybe along the lines of "those screenshots look stunning" would have been better. Although I do not think that those qualify for stunning at their own either.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    Then we have to agree to disagree. Good graphics are nice and the screenshots are very yummy.

I can be pretty touchy sometimes but I think it's unfair to dice the game before it is even released. It's not that I'm defending Fallout 3. I'm really annoyed just thinking of Oblivion with guns. I hope it won't come to that.

I bought Fallout 1 right when it got out and I've been playing it through the years, I don't think that Bethesda can top that but I sure hope they will get close. Dialogue and quests are what bother me. I can't recall any quest in Morrowind and Oblivion in which you could turn your back on your employer or betray them and I won't even mention the dialogue system in Bethesda's top RPGs (I can't stand the Oblivion wheel but fortunately it seems Fallout 3 won't "benefit" from that).

Still, I must acknowledge the fact that parts of Oblivion stood out (I'm thinking of Shivering Isles which is really better than the rest of the game).

Remember in Fallout 1 the limited number of character models. There was a line about the fact that there must have been some kind of cloning accident to explain that (in Fallout 1 or 2 I can't remember right now). That was good.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Is SP covering this abomination now?

In between the blinding bloom, ridiculous motion-blur, and failure to get the designs right for the feel of Fallout (A baggy jumpsuit, orc supermutants - just from those screenshots there) - it really doesn't look that good visually.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    It's just my opinion but I don't believe that the designs are the problem here. IMHO what made Fallout so good was the freedom of choice. Not even the freedom of going anywhere (like in Morrowind or Oblivion) but the freedom to solve quests in many different ways.

By the way, Supermutants in Fallout looked a lot like The Hulk, it's not that big a stretch to compare them to Orcs. There are many similarities. Not that I expect you to agree.

They're not going to make a game like Fallout 1 nowadays. They want kids to buy the game and play it on a console so it can't be anywhere near the original in terms of depth and story (not to mention the fact that you could choose to finish both Fallout 1 and 2 without killing anyone).

What they can do nevertheless is make an immersive FPS/RPG set in the Fallout universe and if they don't mess things up with dialogues and XP (the big drawbacks of both Morrowind and Oblivion IMHO because they're cheesy and force you to powergame) it won't be that bad. The higher you set your expectations, the more you will be disappointed.

Let's face it, we're not in 1997 anymore...

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Visual designs aren't the key problem - they're part of the whole. A key element of Fallout is the retrofuturistic setting, which the current developers seem to have ignored in favour of what looks 'cool' to the modern mindset. Skintight jumpsuits aren't 'cool', won't appeal to the target audience of theoretical retarded twelve year olds - therefore make them all baggy and 'cool' looking. It's one element of dumbing down amongst many.

Neither was Black Isle when making Van Buren. The year has nothing to do with it - nothing fundamental has changed in people's mindset since 1997. There are still plenty of people who would be interested in playing a game like Fallout - probably more than there was then.

The 'things must be dumbed down because everyone is now stupid!' mindset is - without a doubt - the cancer that is killing video games. The disappointing thing about this whole affair is that people actually, honestly buy into it.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's try to keep this civil, folks... we know that Fallout is a very emotional topic for many gamers, but that doesn't give anyone the licence to go around bashing anyone who might like what Bethesda is doing with it now. If you find the mere thought of anyone but BIS or Troika (neither of which exist any more, incidentally) doing another Fallout, that's a legitimate viewpoint, sure. But only one which enables you to go on endless rants which will inevitably result in the conclusion that whoever else makes another Fallout will get it wrong and that it will consequently suck.

Again, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. But please don't go on a crusade to spoil it for everyone else who doesn't share your cynicism... this is a GAME we're talking about after all, and no one will always enjoy the same kind of game done in the same kind of way. What you hate, someone else might love and vice versa. Keep that in mind. I'll most likely be opening a Fallout forum in the near future and we really don't need a constant barrage of hardcore Fallout fans complaining into oblivion (heh) how awful the game will be before it is even released (I'm sure there'll be plenty of that after the fact too).

One thing that we're always striving for here at SP is to keep the game discussions balanced, if at all possible. We know that the vocal old Fallout fans are easily capable of completely drowning anything positive about Fallout 3 in their own grievances over every floor tile or light switch that Bethesda will not make exactly like in the previous games, but I'm quite certain that the majority of the people will still be able to enjoy the game or easily overlook any departures from the original if the game is overall decent.

Since Bethesda now owns the Fallout licence, you only really have two options if you still want to play anything with "Fallout" in the title - you can either (re)play the previous games until you know them by heart, or play what Bethesda will be making from now on. Like it or not, that's the reality of the situation and endless complaining isn't going to change it one bit.

Caradhras likes this.
  13. Caradhras

Media:
    There's no point discussing Van Buren since it will never happen.

Anyway, Taluntain summed up the situation, I do apologize if anyone was offended by my comments. Let's try to be reasonnable and constructive about this.

I stand by the fact that things have changed since 1997 and that regarding CRPG things haven't improved. There's not much fans can do about it. The Bethesda team claim they are fans of the original game, we'll have to wait and see whether this statement is right or wrong.

After all Bethesda spent a lot of money to get the Fallout licence. They could have made a futuristic game using the engine with another name. They certainly knew that Fallout fans would react and they most certainly knew that such reaction wouldn't be positive.

I rank myself as a Fallout fan (having played that game since its release more than ten years ago) but I think it's unfair to dice Fallout 3 before it is released.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm not actually offended or anything that people have different tastes/opinions than me - that would be silly.

I am a bit irked by the continual assertion that gamers are less intelligent or mature than when Fallout was released (or whatever exactly it is that you think has 'changed', but these are the ones I see implied the most often). That's ridiculous, and the sort of claim that needs backing up.

I'm also a bit irked by the 'OMG! 'Hardcore' Fallout fans are here to ruin our fun!' thinking that shows up every time someone gives negative opinion of the game. It shouldn't get any special protection from criticism just because there's a lot of people who want to criticise it. The criticisms aren't even unreasonable - too much bloom and a lack of adherence to Fallout's unique style. You could disagree that those things are happening/a problem, but they're valid criticisms all the same.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They are to an extent (it ends with the fact that Bethesda now owns the licence and is free to rewrite any of the canon as it sees fit - much to the eternal horror of many fans), but when the same criticisms show up N×(die-hard Fallout fan number) in every single Fallout forum thread anywhere on the Internet in virtually unchanged form again and again they are so far redundant that there are probably very few dead horses beaten to a more liquid pulp on the whole of Internet. Seriously...

Also, there's nothing ridiculous about the assertion that there are far more gamers today than there were 10 years back and that many of them are far less experienced today than most of the old guard gamers were 10 years back. We live in the plug & play, instant gratification era. 10 years back you barely had the beginnings of it. Now it's here to stay.

16. Caradhras

Media:
    It's a bit premature to criticize the game. We can criticize Bethesda's intent. They probably should have left Fallout be consigned to oblivion (pun intended) when the old generations of gamers would eventually pass away.

On a more serious note, you can't ignore the fact that games are now tailored to suit the larger audience of gamers who are supposedly more concerned about eye candy and graphics than story and plot (whether this is right or wrong is moot, that is the common assumption that we have to face nowadays regarding video games and especially CRPGs).

If you showed Fallout 1 to kids, most of them (not all of them) would laugh at you (don't ever show a kid Arcanum if you don't want to be considered as a caveman).

Bethesda is not going to market a product that will only satisfy the old Fallout fans that would be bad marketing. Most of us care more about content but we can't really judge that from a few screenshots (which I for one happen to like).

IMHO it's natural for Bethesda to bring something new to the game. They're not going to make Fallout 1 over again (there would be no point in doing that). It's going to be hard for Fallout 3 to live up to its name and legacy but maybe a new generation of gamers will give the old game a try (be it out of sheer curiosity) and find out what made the Fallout games so special. Maybe (And maybe I'll say "Maybe").

It's just like The Lord of the Rings. The movies are dumbed down (don't flame me for saying that please) but I'm sure some kids who would never have read the book gave it a try after seeing the movies.

We should spread the word (like Thomas Moore in Vault City) and introduce younger gamers to the Fallout series we love and cherish. Fallout 3 will probably make the old games more appealling to younger gamers. At least those who are capable of seeing beyond old (prehistoric) graphics.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Equally, there are more experienced gamers than there was 10 years ago who would probably appreciate more games that don't insult their intelligence.

My viewpoint exactly, though we disagree on tactics :p

Neither side in this argument is all that fresh from a beating - those who like what they're seeing repeat themselves just as much as those who don't. The only way that this horse will stop being beaten is if no one comments on any new information regardless of what side they're on. Well, unless 'I like the pictures - looks great!' is considered not beating the dead horse and 'Too much bloom - don't like it' somehow is.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    As long as it's done in a way that isn't directly offensive to the other side (e.g. "huh, you obviously don't care about the story if you like anything Bethesda does", etc.), it's not a problem. But this sort of arguments pretty much always boil down to the hardcore Fallout fans claiming the higher moral ground for a whole variety of reasons, the primary of which seems to be championing the honour and intactness of Fallout as it was left with Fallout 2. Which means that literally any deviation from the Fallout bible, memory, image and spirit is considered a sin worse than murder, so expecting a rational discussion from anyone with views that extreme is obviously futile. Not that I think anyone here is THAT extreme in their views, but such Fallout fans are in abundance everywhere. They don't have the reputation as the worst fan(atic)s of any game without good reason.

19. Caradhras

Media:
  20. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I think that last screenshot proves Aikanaro's point quite well about the graphics. But more of that when we actually see more of the game. That should be quite soon I think, as it is supposed to be ready for the autumn.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.