1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New run - this time with a monk!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tharlok, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Tharlok Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

So I decided it was time to start a new game - and it will be another "theme party". My drow party is still to this date my favorite run - it was fun, effective and it had a roleplaying element (since every character had a backstory): This time I want an "all Aasimar party" since... well it sounded like a good idea. So my thoughts are:

Paladin (x)/Fighter (4)
    Sorcerer
    Bard
    Cleric
    Cleric
    Monk

Problem is there will be no rogue and since I don't have a wizard, it might present a problem with open locks/find traps. But I can live with that. The second question is which clerics to use - tempus doesn''t feel right for this party. I was thinking (since I felt it would fit Aasimar) mayby Oghma and Lathander but perhaps Helm would work too. And finally - I have never played a monk before so I guess it is time to try it. But... how should you build one? I know that Wis is important but what else? I need a character that can at least hold it's own (not a decoy) so I'm hoping for suggustions. As usual it will be a vanilla game with no intention to go into HoF.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Wis, Dex, and Str are the three main ones, and in that order imo. I usually make sure to pump wisdom up first because not only does in increase your AC like Dex does, but it increases the power of your monk abilities which can become pretty hard to resist.

Another important thing to keep in mind with monks is that spells like Mage armor, owls wisdom, etc. will make your monk insanely hard to hit. Couple that with the extra speed and they seem like a perfect candidate to do some tanking.

Multiclassing one of your clerics with a level of monk wouldn't either. I seem to recall the increased AC and speed to be an invaluable boost for the single level needed.

midolinho and Tharlok like this.
  3. Nifft Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Suggestion:

Rogue / Bard - even levels, high Cha + Dex, points in Archery
    Fighter (4) / Paladin of Helm
    Paladin of Mystra (3) / Sorcerer
    Paladin of Ilmater (3) / Cleric of Ilmater
    Cleric of Lathander
    Monk of whichever order is Lawful Good

4. Tharlok Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Just cleared out Targos and so far so good - the Monk wasn't hit once. Still not sure on which feats to pick - started with "Dodge" just for the extra boost to AC. What else is needed when he levels up? Other characters include:

Paladin/Fighter
    Bard
    Sorcerer
    Cleric (Lathander)
    Cleric (Oghma)

Not used to play either Lathander or Oghma - just felt it was fitting since I have an "all Aasimar group". Will be interesting to see if Lathanders firespells will be as effective as I hope. Had to put more points in INT but maybe it will be woth it (for Spirit of Flame). Back to the Monk - right now he is using an axe. At what point will it be right to switch to haand-to-hand combat? I have no experience with Monks in this game (or any other game for that matter) so I'm just trying to see what will work.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I prefer the Dash feat to make get the most out of their increased speed. This is especially useful if you use your monk as a protector of your weaker spell-casters as I often do. The ability to move swiftly to wherever they are needed on the battlefield is an ability that is often underestimated. Extra stunning attacks are useful as well, especially for a wisdom based build.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.